PDA

View Full Version : Slalom Skiing Pregnant

BuoyChaser
07-07-2006, 12:55 PM
anyone find any details on the safety of skiing pregnant? particularly slalom ski on the course? my wife is going to check with the doctor, but the doctor is probably going to consider it an impact sport. not that she's that interested with morning sickness and all, FUN FUN!!! :)

come on, looking for some sympathy and compassion here guys.

east tx skier
07-07-2006, 01:00 PM
anyone find any details on the safety of skiing pregnant? particularly slalom ski on the course? my wife is going to check with the doctor, but the doctor is probably going to consider it an impact sport. not that she's that interested with morning sickness and all, FUN FUN!!! :)

We asked the doctor last year and the answer was no. My wife doesn't ordinarily get in the water until at least May and by then, she was about 6 months along. Even if it had been earlier, her balance just wasn't what it was before or is now when she was pregnant.

Not worth the risk of a bad fall in my opinion (be it in the course or on open water). She drove the boat well into her 8th month.

BuoyChaser
07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
We asked the doctor last year and the answer was no. My wife doesn't ordinarily get in the water until at least May and by then, she was about 6 months along. Even if it had been earlier, her balance just wasn't what it was before or is now when she was pregnant.

Not worth the risk of a bad fall in my opinion (be it in the course or on open water). She drove the boat well into her 8th month.
obviously that's what we assumed, but great news to hear that she was drving into her 8th month, NICE always will have a driver!!!

any suggestions on books for eating healthy while pregnant or ways to help subside morning sickness...seems to be snacks all the time work best, but finding what sounds appetizing, boy that is tough!!!

jkski
07-07-2006, 01:12 PM
First off, CONGRATS, and I'm sure it won't be long till the tot is running shortline. In the meantime, a friend of mine and his wife have had 2 kids now, and both times, she stopped skiing as soon as she found out. She did continue to drive for him for a while, but it came to a point where it was not safe for her to be in the boat if it were to hit a wake hard.
Best wishes to you and your wife.

east tx skier
07-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Congrats by the way! It's a wild ride.

There's a book called "What to expect when you're expecting" that my wife would read. Don't know if it specifically gets into what to eat, but it covers just about everything so I can only assume it does.

As for morning sickness, my wife was fortunate enough to avoid it almost entirely. I think she got sick about 3 times total. Eventually, the issue (among others) will likely be reflux. Have plenty of Zantac on hand. From about 6 months on, it was a daily routine.

As the boat goes, just be prepared to slow down a lot over boat wakes to prevent any big bumps while she's driving.

Good luck.

bcampbe7
07-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Congrats!

We also asked the doctor and the answer was no.
We also have to watch the bumps and stuff while on the water. Jarring is very uncomfortable for my wife and is probably not too good for the little one either.

As far as books, I can put my wife on here, she is nearly 30 weeks, and she will give you a library of books. :eek:
I know she really enjoys Fit Pregnancy magazine as well as American Baby (online and magazine). She has also found a couple of baby journals that she likes.

I am almost finished with "The Expectant Father" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0789205386/103-2764578-0279000?v=glance&n=283155) by Armon Brott and it has helped me to understand somewhat of what she is going through and what to expect.

Fortunately my wife did not have morning sickness. Being pregnant, she does get indegestion pretty bad so she stays away from spicy foods and such.

Most of the time the morning sickness will go away at about 12 weeks. Small frequent meals consisting of bland foods seems to be the advice to try to combat morning sickness.

bigmac
07-07-2006, 01:18 PM

I'm very sympathetic, but towable water sports of ANY kind while pregnant is a bad, bad, bad idea. If her obstetrician said it was OK, I would be absolutely astonished...(and inclined to question his/her competence).

TMCNo1
07-07-2006, 01:19 PM

You may want to contact Chris and April Coble Eller @ www.cobleskischool.com or 1-910-893-6494 and inquire. April, as you know is a Professional Skier/Ski School Coach, Chris is a Professional Pro Tour Boat Driver/Coach and they had a child a couple years ago, live on the lake at the ski school and may have some good advise.

WTRSK1R
07-07-2006, 01:34 PM
We too were told the answer is no to skiing, but it was ok to be in the boat as long as it was comfortable. There was really never any issue except when the lake got rough. Then we would need to take it slow over the rollers to keep the bouncing down. My son is now 12 and working his way through the Wisconsin DNR on-line course for Boater Safety and I will have a new generation of driver. He has actually pulled me a few times already with my wife in the boat and has done a very nice job. :dance:

Enjoy it all, it goes by way tooooooo quick. :toast:

beef
07-07-2006, 01:39 PM
April Coble Eller actually just had another baby two weeks ago. :) I'm sure she'll have some good advice, but wasn't skiing early in this pregnancy anyway due to an ankle/foot injury. Don't think I'd advise course skiing at any time during pregnancy, but know those who have without incident.

bigmac
07-07-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm sure April Coble Eller is a very nice lady. I would be more inclined to take advice from my physician in matters of safety during pregnancy, however.

BuoyChaser
07-07-2006, 02:33 PM
There's a book called "What to expect when you're expecting" that my wife would read.
thanxs for all the congrats and great advice, we're certainly both stoked to have a future DRIVER!!! :)

yahhh just was given the book "What to...expecting" but need to find the audiobook version!!!

certainly will enjoy checking out all these suggestions, not just need to find a menu to prepare for her, heards lots of carbs and protein is key!!!

BeavenX5
07-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Congratulations to both of you. :toast:

I read an article a month ago in an old (2004?) Waterski Magazine about a pro skier talking about her pregnancy and how she skied late into it and started competing back soon after giving birth. I beleive it was April Coble but am not sure. Interesting....
I don't think the risk are worth it but it was done.

BuoyChaser
07-07-2006, 02:37 PM
she really doesn't have any ambition to ski and we certainly wouldn't want to risk anything...more concerned about boat driving...

we're on a semi-private lake so really only hit our own boat wakes...will just have to make sure we never spin and drop at each end, then won't have to worry about jarring during slalom...

we'll certainly email April...

Kevin 89MC
07-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Congrats! Our doctor told my wife she could keep doing it as long as she felt comfortable, but not beyond ~4 months into pregnancy, IIRC. One time she fell and wanted to try to get up on one ski (she normally gets up on 2), and I told her absolutely NOT! She still is surprised how quick I put an end to that discussion!
She was not able to ride/drive the boat much after that either, too bouncy.
Good luck! Get your sleep in now!
Kevin

betsy&david Harrison
07-07-2006, 04:06 PM
I'm adding my :twocents: in here since I am a girly on the board. First, April is a professional and skis correctly. Not much chance of injury. She also backed off while skiing. Next, the others advice on skiing and the Doc saying "No" is great advice. Lastly, and then I'll shut up, I did not ski pregnant and I was able to drive right up to a week prior to delivery and both kids were three weeks early (but not because of the boat driving!). :D B

PendO
07-07-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm sure April Coble Eller is a very nice lady. I would be more inclined to take advice from my physician in matters of safety during pregnancy, however.

This coming from a guy who tried to drown an Anaesthesiologist on a Sky Ski:)

Congratulations Buoy and Mrs. Buoy:)

bigmac
07-07-2006, 06:32 PM
This coming from a guy who tried to drown an Anaesthesiologist on a Sky Ski:)

Well, in my defense, he wasn't pregnant.

I also tried to break his neck on kite tube. He's a resilient SOB.... ;)

mrs_bcampbe7
07-07-2006, 11:49 PM

Congratulations!!!
I do not recommend any water sports while pregnant, as I am sure your doctor and books will tell you. I am 30 weeks pregnant and still go out on the boat as a driver and spectator. It is important to be careful of big waves; it doesn't feel too good on the belly. :D If the water is too rough we usually watch skiers in the course.
The most informative book is the Mayo Clinic guide to a healthy pregnancy. It is has been very helpful throughout my pregnancy. I think too many books can be overwhelming and cause a bit of confusion.
Some helpful magazines are: Fit Pregnancy and American Baby (free from www.americanbaby.com).
I have two journals that have been very useful: The Mother of all Pregnancy organizers by Ann Douglas and The Pregnancy Journal by Christine Harris.
I also have a book that I read to my son every night called: Oh, Baby the Places You'll Go- A book to be Read in Utero by Dr. Seuss.
If you have any questions, please PM my husband (bcampbe7).
Good luck, don't stress out (ha ha), drink lots of water and don't get to hot while out on the water.

tex
07-07-2006, 11:53 PM
I never ski while i'm with child!

east tx skier
07-08-2006, 12:01 AM
Congratulations!!!
I do not recommend any water sports while pregnant, as I am sure your doctor and books will tell you. I am 30 weeks pregnant and still go out on the boat as a driver and spectator. It is important to be careful of big waves; it doesn't feel too good on the belly. :D If the water is too rough we usually watch skiers in the course.
The most informative book is the Mayo Clinic guide to a healthy pregnancy. It is has been very helpful throughout my pregnancy. I think too many books can be overwhelming and cause a bit of confusion.
Some helpful magazines are: Fit Pregnancy and American Baby (free from www.americanbaby.com).
I have two journals that have been very useful: The Mother of all Pregnancy organizers by Ann Douglas and The Pregnancy Journal by Christine Harris.
I also have a book that I read to my son every night called: Oh, Baby the Places You'll Go- A book to be Read in Utero by Dr. Seuss.
Good luck, don't stress out (ha ha), drink lots of water and don't get to hot while out on the water.

Welcome Mrs. Bcampebe7! I can sum up child care in two words. Sleep sack! My baby will probably be sleeping in one of these things 'til he's my age.

betsy&david Harrison
07-08-2006, 12:36 AM
After the baby arrives, this is what we did, we strapped them in the car seat and wedged them between the motor box and the observers seat. We also always had a shock tube hooked up too. Put them to sleep every time. B

BuoyChaser
07-08-2006, 01:10 AM
After the baby arrives, this is what we did, we strapped them in the car seat and wedged them between the motor box and the observers seat. We also always had a shock tube hooked up too. Put them to sleep every time. B
any special car seat that works better than others???have a couple friends that did the same thing, but that was a few years back...so cool havin' the "baby on board" makes so much more sense with those signs now...

BuoyChaser
07-08-2006, 01:11 AM
Welcome Mrs. Bcampebe7! I can sum up child care in two words. Sleep sack! My baby will probably be sleeping in one of these things 'til he's my age.
Sleep Sack, what the heck is that???got any pics???

BuoyChaser
07-08-2006, 01:12 AM
Congratulations!!!
this is all great stuff...does the "May Clinic Guide" have food recommendations and recipes???that's where i need to be the most help right now, buying the right food at the grocery store and preparing some meals that sound/smell/look edible to her...i'm a good cook, but when pregnant like playing russion roulett...

bcampbe7
07-08-2006, 11:22 AM
this is all great stuff...does the "May Clinic Guide" have food recommendations and recipes???that's where i need to be the most help right now, buying the right food at the grocery store and preparing some meals that sound/smell/look edible to her...i'm a good cook, but when pregnant like playing russion roulett...

This is Wendy posting under Beau's username,
The Mayo Clinic Book does have food recommendations but not recipes. Your local bookstore will have several books with recipes. Sorry, that I am not to helpful in this area. Usually bland foods are easier to eat if she is having morning sickness. Crackers in between meals can help.

east tx skier
07-08-2006, 12:23 PM

Per MarkP's advice. When there was just the two of us (one skier and the driver), at the time of his first boat ride (3 weeks old), we had concerns with strapping him in in the boat. We put him (in his vest) in the bouncy seat and set it in the walk through right by the driver. Really helps cushion him in the chop and, as you say, right to sleep when that motor turns over. If we had a third, he was much happier riding in someone's lap. He was fascinated by the chine spray.

Now that he's older, we have a booster high chair that straps onto the jump seat. He's does great in it and he's happy to be off the floor.

east tx skier
07-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Sleep Sack, what the heck is that???got any pics???

Since you're not supposed to let them sleep with blankets until they are older, it's a way to keep them warm without worrying about it. Supposed to help in preventing SIDS, too.

http://www.sidsma.org/new_parents/images/sleepsack.jpg

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-08-2006, 01:14 PM
I would think skiing while expecting is NOT good.

kalanic
07-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Well I just found out I am now part of the club. My Fiance is 9 weeks along & we are very excited! Great thread for this! Thanks for startin it!

BuoyChaser
07-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Well I just found out I am now part of the club. My Fiance is 9 weeks along & we are very excited! Great thread for this! Thanks for startin it!
just had the ultrasound on thursday to confirm we're 6wks along...thank goodness have at least 8mos to get my honey-to-do list done...

gotta search for that nursery ideas thread, remember someone doing a slalom ball mobile and other skiin' decorations...

kalanic
07-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah we had our 2nd sonagram & saw the heart beat, Ultrasound next Wednesday. Very exciting!

BuoyChaser
07-08-2006, 04:30 PM
Yeah we had our 2nd sonagram & saw the heart beat, Ultrasound next Wednesday. Very exciting!
now what's the difference between the sonagram and the ultrasound...we just had the ultrasound done to determine how far along...

what are you finding for snacks for your wife???gotta hit the bookstore and do some readin'...

kalanic
07-08-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm learnin too! I guess with the sonagram we were able to listen for a heartbeat & the Ultrasound they are able to see & measure. Im only guessin! I hear ya on the readin! I just bought one of those week by week books that tells you what to expect. Man I think the morning sickness & emotions are just as bad for us! You know what Im Sayin!

betsy&david Harrison
07-08-2006, 11:19 PM
any special car seat that works better than others???have a couple friends that did the same thing, but that was a few years back...so cool havin' the "baby on board" makes so much more sense with those signs now...
We just used our big sturdy car seat. It has been 7 years and I can't remember what kind we baught. Sorry. B

betsy&david Harrison
07-08-2006, 11:22 PM
You new and expecting Daddys are bringing up some great memories. I'd do it all over again. Of course, I didn't have morning sickness or any other issues or I might think twice about it. Too old now. Enjoy every minute of all of it. It goes by way too fast. I am at the point now that the kids and I go out for bike rides or ski rides together. Every stage is so different and rewarding. B

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2006, 11:24 PM
This thread would be alot more entertaining if were about getting pregnant while waterskiing! :o

betsy&david Harrison
07-08-2006, 11:28 PM
This thread would be alot more entertaining if were about getting pregnant while waterskiing! :o
The best story I can do for that is my sister skiing naked at 2am on Lake Naciemiento a few years back. I'm trying to imagine your scenario :) Hee Hee

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2006, 11:29 PM
You know we can't take your word without some pictures! ;) My mind is off to the races!The best story I can do for that is my sister skiing naked at 2am on Lake Naciemiento a few years back. I'm trying to imagine your scenario :) Hee Hee

dichdoc
07-12-2006, 11:26 AM
I'll post to the counter and be ready for attacks! My wife skied well into her fifth month mostly free skiing and at a much slower and more controlled pace than usual. Her Doc gave her the OK (after the joke of well could you water ski before you were Pregnant?) and her Father is a pediatrician and took many pics of her while skiing. My wife also Mt biked and excersized alot until about month 8. She never did get a huge belly, have morning sickness, and I'd say there was less moodyness than normal! The baby was perfectly healthy 7lbs 12 oz. As far as preventing or limiting Morning sickness we read somewhere that eating before you get out of bed helped, my wife used crackers had one or two and then got up. Have fun. TB

jlf
07-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Our friends doctor told her she could wakeboard into her fourth or fifth month I think, I know she was at three months the last time she boarded. She too just took it easy. I didn't necissarily think it was a good idea, but it wasn't my baby so I said nothing.

3event
07-13-2006, 11:00 AM
The question is..... what have you got to lose?

Hmmmm

My wife's doc said no way. We both agreed. She would rather not just be sitting in the boat but we felt it's not worth the risk. There is always the possibility of an impact injury, and the doc cautioned about balance impairment as well. A pregnant Mom's center of gravity is different, possibly complicating any sport that requires balance/stance. For the same reason bicycling and horseback riding were also on the NO list.

She'll be back next year with a vengeance !! (attitude, not the ski)
:D

BuoyChaser
07-17-2006, 12:44 PM
great resource showing day-by-day what is going on with the baby, cool stuff!!!
iVillage and Parenting Magazine
Pregnancy Calendar
http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/calendar/frame/0,,,00.html?downDate=2007-3-1

bigmac
07-17-2006, 01:11 PM
The problem with water skiing, or any sport where an impact might take place is not injury to the baby - that is highly unlikely. The problem is injury to the placenta. If the placenta detaches (called an abruption) from an impact from, say, falling off a mountain bike, falling while snowboarding, or falling while wakeboarding or slalom skiing, the baby dies. A placental abruption is not common. Most women could probably ski, mountain bike, skydive and their baby would be perfectly safe...most of the time. I guess the question for pregnant mom's wanting to participate in sports with the potential for a 36 mph impact is..."do you feel lucky?"

butter
07-18-2006, 07:11 PM
...any suggestions on ...or ways to help subside morning sickness...

This is a little late, but I didn't see anyone else mention it... The trick that worked for my wife, was to take one half of a "Unisom" sleeping pill each night before bed, in order to alleviate morning sickness the next day. This method was suggested by her OB/GYN. Although I was skeptical at first, the result was nothing short of miraculous, if you ask my wife. She has used the method successfully for each of our four kids. Of course you should probably get the OK from your own doc.

butter
07-18-2006, 07:14 PM
(Did I really just offer morning sickness advice on the internet?! I really need to get a life...) :(

jimmer2880
07-19-2006, 07:37 AM
The problem with water skiing, or any sport where an impact might take place is not injury to the baby - that is highly unlikely. The problem is injury to the placenta. If the placenta detaches (called an abruption) from an impact from, say, falling off a mountain bike, falling while snowboarding, or falling while wakeboarding or slalom skiing, the baby dies. A placental abruption is not common. Most women could probably ski, mountain bike, skydive and their baby would be perfectly safe...most of the time. I guess the question for pregnant mom's wanting to participate in sports with the potential for a 36 mph impact is..."do you feel lucky?"

That's exactly it. My wife was a ski instructor, but when she got pregnant we asked ourselves.... what would we do if we were that 1 in a million & OUR un-born child died just because she wanted to make some turns.

However, she did kneeboard behind the Jeep in 10" of snow when she was 7 months pregnant. But - that was in a much much more controlled environment than doing 30 mph behind a boat standing up.

SoCalBrew
07-23-2006, 06:20 AM
Hey Congrats!!! We have two little bouy chasers of our own... My family has a line of doctors... all who would recommend that you don't do impact sports, which skiing can be, but all who did not listen to their own advice. We played it safe and didn't ski when she was pregnant... glad we did. We are both getting plenty of runs in these days.

Everyone has their own book recommendations, and everyone has a different philosophy, but there are two books that I recommend (if you dont mind) that had a profound impact on our babies (and ours) lives.

The Self-Calmed Baby - William A.H. Sammons M.D... because if this book, both of our kids slept thru the night within a week or two, and have continue to be good sleepers... and generally calm kids.

The Good Housekeeping illustrated book of pregnany and baby care. This is one you'll want to keep around for a while... It is as close to a manual as you can get... absolutely one of the best reference books for "what do I do when my kids has ..."

Good luck with the baby!

BuoyChaser
07-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Hey Congrats!!! We have two little bouy chasers of our own... My family has a line of doctors... all who would recommend that you don't do impact sports, which skiing can be, but all who did not listen to their own advice. We played it safe and didn't ski when she was pregnant... glad we did. We are both getting plenty of runs in these days.

Everyone has their own book recommendations, and everyone has a different philosophy, but there are two books that I recommend (if you dont mind) that had a profound impact on our babies (and ours) lives.

The Self-Calmed Baby - William A.H. Sammons M.D... because if this book, both of our kids slept thru the night within a week or two, and have continue to be good sleepers... and generally calm kids.

The Good Housekeeping illustrated book of pregnany and baby care. This is one you'll want to keep around for a while... It is as close to a manual as you can get... absolutely one of the best reference books for "what do I do when my kids has ..."

Good luck with the baby!
sounds like some great books, will certainly check those out...