PDA

View Full Version : Ski Size?

Davo
07-07-2006, 10:04 AM
What is the rule of thumb on ski size?

I'm 5'5" and 145 and just getting back into slalom after many, many years of wakeboarding. I'm probably an average, to slightly above average, skier.

A friend just gave me one of his old HO skis and it's a 67"....just wondering what everyone else is riding in comparison to their height and weight.

Also, how much do good slalom skis typically weigh?

east tx skier
07-07-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm 5'10 and 170 lbs and ride a 67" Monza at about 32 mph open water and 30 mph in the course. Without boots and the fin it weighs a bit over 3 lbs. and is considered a light ski. You can buy other good skis that weigh more. Just depends on the layup.

I'm not sure what speed you're skiing, but 67 sounds long for your weight.

Jorski
07-07-2006, 10:14 AM
All of the manufacturers have a guide that references your weight and the speed that you ski at.

My guess for you is that at 145 mpounds a 65" ski would be about right for you.In the end it is still best to try before you buy!

Here is a link to the HO ski sze chart:

HO Skis (http://hosports.com/06_web/06_test.html)

Davo
07-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

BrianM
07-07-2006, 12:57 PM
I agree that 65"-66" is probably a better length for you but it will depend a bit on the ski as well as what speed you are skiing at. Slower speeds you will probably want a longer ski.. I am 5'11" 185lbs skiing 36mph and ski on a 67" Monza.

I'm 5'10 and 170 lbs and ride a 67" Monza .

Did I miss something? When did you get the Monza?

tex
07-07-2006, 01:07 PM
If you are just freestyling..a pair of 72's will do you just fine. If you want to bang out some LD's spend the money on at least 88's.

east tx skier
07-07-2006, 02:30 PM
I agree that 65"-66" is probably a better length for you but it will depend a bit on the ski as well as what speed you are skiing at. Slower speeds you will probably want a longer ski.. I am 5'11" 185lbs skiing 36mph and ski on a 67" Monza.

Did I miss something? When did you get the Monza?

MYMC made me an offer I couldn't refuse on his prototype that he skied on last year. I think I first rode it around mid May. It's the pointy nosed monza with the system 8 graphics. I already had a pair of approach boots in the mail, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Glad I did as I'm really enjoying it.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/116f7659.jpg

Davo
07-07-2006, 02:34 PM
If you are just freestyling..a pair of 72's will do you just fine. If you want to bang out some LD's spend the money on at least 88's.
That went right over my head, Tex. Pair of what?

BrianM
07-07-2006, 02:44 PM
That went right over my head, Tex. Pair of what?

He is talking about jump skis.

BrianM
07-07-2006, 02:46 PM
MYMC made me an offer I couldn't refuse on his prototype that he skied on last year. I think I first rode it around mid May. It's the pointy nosed monza with the system 8 graphics. I already had a pair of approach boots in the mail, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Glad I did as I'm really enjoying it.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/116f7659.jpg

Bend that front knee and get your hips up. Get another 12" of that ski in the water around the turn and you will be amazed out how much more angle it gives you.

Davo
07-07-2006, 03:08 PM
He is talking about jump skis.

Ahhh, that explains the LD. The only jumping I'll do is on a wakeboard....of course, there was that little homemade ramp we fashioned back in the day that we used to jump on skis and the kneeboard. :D

east tx skier
07-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Bend that front knee and get your hips up. Get another 12" of that ski in the water around the turn and you will be amazed out how much more angle it gives you.

When I first got the ski, my approach boots hadn't arrived. I set the fin to stock and put the wing in the bag. I put my animals on there and spent some time moving them around over the course of about 4 pulls (2 in the course, 2 in open water) to get everything working right. Then the approach boots showed up, so I started over.

My first ride on the approach boots was in the rain (I really wanted to ride them), so I didn't feel like I got a good feel for their positioning. As soon as I was able to look at these pictures (my second ride with the new boots), I went out to the garage and moved the front boot forward one hole (I think it's 29.5") now. I left the back one alone as I don't like doing more than one at a time. Don't want to mess with that until I get the boots just like I like them.

As for the rest, believe me, it's ever a work in progress.

Davo
07-10-2006, 09:38 AM
I skied on a friends four year old Connelly F3 (I think it was 66") yesterday and that thing was pretty smooth on the turns and it felt light.

I still haven't ridden that older 67" HO SVT that a friend gave me....the front boot is ripped (it has a rear foot "slipper"), so I need to try and find a used replacement boot. I'll hold off on buying nice double boots (I prefer doubles) until I get a newer ski.

I'm still curious about the weights of skis.

BrianM
07-10-2006, 09:48 AM
As soon as I was able to look at these pictures (my second ride with the new boots), I went out to the garage and moved the front boot forward one hole (I think it's 29.5") now. I left the back one alone as I don't like doing more than one at a time. Don't want to mess with that until I get the boots just like I like them.

As for the rest, believe me, it's ever a work in progress. Be carefull making equipment adjustments for form issues. You will just create a crutch for yourself that you will need to eliminate to progress. From that picture it really looks like all you need to do is psh your hips forward and bend your front knee (some think it easier to think of it as bending the front ankle) getting you more centered on the ski.

east tx skier
07-10-2006, 10:03 AM
So you're saying I need to push the hips forward in the turn before I initiate my pull?

BrianM
07-10-2006, 10:11 AM
So you're saying I need to push the hips forward in the turn before I initiate my pull? You need to keep your hips up at all times.

east tx skier
07-10-2006, 10:14 AM
You need to keep your hips up at all times.

You got any pictures of you (or anyone) doing that in the turn? Easier for me to visualize from a picture.

BrianM
07-10-2006, 11:19 AM
You got any pictures of you (or anyone) doing that in the turn? Easier for me to visualize from a picture.

Not me I suffer from the same issues. Will try and find a good example. This is the first I found sorry for the low quality.

east tx skier
07-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Thanks. I got out this weekend, but was without my ski. Rode a 65.5" O'Brien G2 Weapon. I used to own the 67.5" version of this ski. Talk about hard to ski on for me now. Felt sluggish, like a wet sponge. Very hard to turn compared to my fall over turn HOs. I did enjoy slipping into the old Advantage rubber boots though.

BrianM
07-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Here are a couple of more. A couple of old school pics of Mapple

east tx skier
07-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Looks just like me! 8p

Davo
07-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Question fellas: how is a ski measured? Is it straight line tip to tail or do you measure along the curve from tip to tail?

The reason I'm asking is my buddy has a 2003 Kidder Evolution and we are trying to figure out how big it is...we measured it and it's 67" tip to tail, but if you measure along the curve it's a little over 68". I couldn't find any size information for this ski on the web. :confused:

Davo
08-01-2006, 10:17 AM
Question fellas: how is a ski measured? Is it straight line tip to tail or do you measure along the curve from tip to tail?
::cricket, cricket::