PDA

View Full Version : Wake Question

aerojt
07-07-2006, 02:53 AM
I just took out the prostar for the first time ever today and ran a little slalom behind it. In the middle of the wake though is a big rooster tail, I was very dissapointed. What is causing that? I was running regular 22 off, the longest possible and I was hitting it. This thing is taller than the outer wakes that you expect to be there. Could the prop be doing that or what? I am clueless here. Thanks!

-JT

bdecker
07-07-2006, 07:44 AM
I skied for many years behind a friends 88, there was definitely more of a bump at 22 than the new hull, but we also found that the wake was very weight sensitive. The solution, run your slalom sets with as empty of a boat as possible. We run the course with just a driver and an observer and no more than 1/4 tank of gas. I've never skied a 93, so I've got no direct experience with that hull, but that trick might help. Once you go to 28, I suspect your wake will disappear. 22 is a "bumpy" line length for many boats.

bigmac
07-07-2006, 08:26 AM
I replaced the stock prop on my MariStar, and that made the rooster tail a little smaller and moved it closer to the boat by about 3 or 4 feet.

BuoyChaser
07-07-2006, 09:20 AM
look into adding a 3-blad CNC machine prop...give the guys at http://www.acmemarine.com and ask for Bill, he'll help you smooth at that prop wash...

Jorski
07-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Though the '93 has a roostertail at 22 off, it is usually really soft. If your ski is on edge, you won't even notice it.

BTW, the wake couldn't get flatter at 28 and 32 off ! Give it a rip !

starman205
07-07-2006, 11:28 AM
I own a 93' 205 prostar and also had the rooster tail at 22 off. Softened it up by going to a 4 blade OJ legend. Have also heard that the acme 3 blade CNC also softens it up. And yes at 28 off and beyond all that is there is smooth water!!!! :dance:

east tx skier
07-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Just to chime in, a rooster tail at 22 off is common. Your 93 prostar has most boats of that vintage (as well as some newer ones) beat on size and softness. I'm a little confused on the statement concerning 22 off being the "longest possible." If you drop back to 15 off, there is a little less bump there. Or you could go shorter and get in front of it. It is also affected by speed. In the slalom realm, it's going to be greatly reduced at 34 and 36 mph.

A cnc'd prop will reduce it. As for the cause, there are several factors. When the boat goes through the water, it separates it and pushes it to the sides (as well as down). After it passes, the water reacts by reconverging and rising. As it reconverges, the two converging waves combine and rise to form what we refer to as a rooster tail.

Any boat passing through the water will create something like this to varying degrees depending on speed and the shape/size of the hull.

This is what I see behind my boat at 36 mph with an acme 3 blade.

Hoosier Bob
07-07-2006, 05:49 PM
22' off with stock prop and slower (below 32 mph) speeds gets a big rooster! I have not found it to be any problem however. I did notice a big change when I went to a CNC 3 blade often recommended here. 34-36 it is there but I only see it don't really hang around long enough to feel it. ;) Go 28' or 15' and you will be infront or behind the rooster. :twocents:

aerojt
07-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Sorry everyone, its been awhile since I've been behind a ski boat - it was 15 off, and it seemed to be right there. My prop is kind of dinged up, it was that way when we got the boat. I am thinking a new prop will make a big difference. Thanks for the advice, any more input would be cool. Also real quick how many quarts of oil go into my 351?? It doesn't say anywhere.

-JT

sanjuan23
07-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Start with 4.5 with the oil filter filled. Then run for a few minutes and add if needed.

east tx skier
07-07-2006, 06:12 PM
Start with 4.5 with the oil filter filled. Then run for a few minutes and add if needed.

That's good advice. Also, check the oil on the water. That's "level".

As far as props go, check this (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103133&postcount=3) out.

ted shred
07-07-2006, 08:21 PM
The bump in the wake is your friend. It tells you to keep your ski on it's edge. The flatter the ski is the more you will feel it. Once you get used to it it won't bother you.