PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Ignition switch broke

OSUspenc99
07-06-2006, 11:12 PM
So I was out on the water tonight and went to start the boat and the whole ignition started to turn so i tried to tighten it up under the dash and the threads broke and the ignition went into the dash. This is a 1985 s&s. So i can still start the boat but the ignition is under the dash and I have the hold that with one hand and turn the key with the other. Does anyone know where I can get a new assembly??? Also sometimes when i pull the key out something else that is internal to the assembly comes out. It looks like the piece that is making sure the key is right.
Please help because this is really a pain in the butt and is making me mad.
Also if i did find the part is it hard to change out??

Any help with be great!
Thanks

tex
07-06-2006, 11:14 PM
It's easy, just go to your MC dealer and they should have the switch in stock.

Farmer Ted
07-06-2006, 11:38 PM
So I was out on the water tonight and went to start the boat and the whole ignition started to turn so i tried to tighten it up under the dash and the threads broke and the ignition went into the dash. This is a 1985 s&s. So i can still start the boat but the ignition is under the dash and I have the hold that with one hand and turn the key with the other. Does anyone know where I can get a new assembly??? Also sometimes when i pull the key out something else that is internal to the assembly comes out. It looks like the piece that is making sure the key is right.
Please help because this is really a pain in the butt and is making me mad.
Also if i did find the part is it hard to change out??

Any help with be great!
Thanks

I think all you need to do is go buy a new barrel and rewire it.

I broke my key two weeks ago and this was the next step I was about to take but the locksmith called me back so I was able to get a key made.

Bruce Carr
07-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Go to any auto parts store and get an ignition switch for under $10. Install should take about 15 minutes.