PDA

View Full Version : What kinda rope is everyone using for skiing

pram
07-06-2006, 04:35 PM
The grip on my handle tore and came off on the weekend so now I am on the hunt for a new ski rope. What is everyone using and how do you like it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
(oh and on a side note I finally saw the trailer for that $10,000.00 93 190 with the LT1 motor in it that my buddy bought in California and there is absolutley nothing wrong with it, he put 2 tires on it and away it went).

Thanks for all of the knowledge that I have gained on this website. Read read read.

east tx skier
07-06-2006, 04:37 PM
I just use a no frills straighline 8 section rope. My handle is a Masterline 12" "small diameter" (0.88") round handle.

bdecker
07-06-2006, 04:53 PM
I've been using Intow ropes and handles for years, go to www.jlbmfg.com. Brenda will make whatever you want, ie 22-39.5, etc. As for handles you can choose whatever options you want as well, everything is custom made. My current handle is a 1.05 strung with Spectra line. I go with a larger diameter due to finger fatigue.

If you're a strong skier, I'd replace at least every season. You'll be impressed by the quality of the mainlines. Just be sure to specify if you want a switch section or not. I skied for months on a short line due to a missing switch section...

pram
07-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I bought a straightline last night but left it in the package as I am not to sure about the handle. The last one that I had was quite 'GRIPPY' so to speak and the new one is somewhat smooth.

http://216.105.63.36/ProductImages/AHSR4.jpg
this is the type of handle that was on the rope that I got rid of.

It actually chewed up a pair of gloves between last summer and this year so far. How is the handle that you have for grip?

PendO
07-06-2006, 05:20 PM
StriagtLine ... I used to like the tractor grip in your picture, but have gotten used to the handle with a bit of camber ... the grip is fine with gloves

SkiDog
07-06-2006, 05:23 PM
For Foiling, we use them damn NON - STRETCH high dollar ropes! You know the ones that cost about $75.00, just for the rope itself, NO handle! :mad:

east tx skier
07-06-2006, 05:25 PM
I bought a straightline last night but left it in the package as I am not to sure about the handle. The last one that I had was quite 'GRIPPY' so to speak and the new one is somewhat smooth.

http://216.105.63.36/ProductImages/AHSR4.jpg
this is the type of handle that was on the rope that I got rid of.

It actually chewed up a pair of gloves between last summer and this year so far. How is the handle that you have for grip?

That is the tractor grip. I had a handle like that and hated it. Really rough on the hands. Go for the smooth grip.

Last summer, I talked to Brenda about ordering a handle. At the time, she was having some trouble getting more handle cores from her suppliers and was limited to what was in stock at the time (which didn't include the small diameter I was looking for). I don't know if that's since been resolved, but I've heard nothing but good things about here. She was very helpful in my case even though she could not, due to matters outside of her control, get me the handle I needed.

G-man
07-06-2006, 05:30 PM
X2 on the ntow ropes, they are great, Masterline makes a line made for the switch that is nice also. Straightline can't seem to measure length the same way twice.

JohnnyB
07-06-2006, 06:04 PM
Straightline Tractor-grip handle and Arama or Kevlar palmed ski gloves...fantastic grip!!! With the gloves, it really doesn't chew on your hands.....

PendO
07-06-2006, 10:13 PM
was up at the water today, seems I am using an Accurate ltd. edition rope and handle ... simmilar to the StraightLine sitting under the seat... I belive they are made by HO/Hyperlite

tex
07-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Hemp!

Depends on which apparatus I'm skiing on.

BrianM
07-06-2006, 10:28 PM
I've been using Intow ropes and handles for years, go to www.jlbmfg.com (http://www.jlbmfg.com). Brenda will make whatever you want, ie 22-39.5, etc. As for handles you can choose whatever options you want as well, everything is custom made. My current handle is a 1.05 strung with Spectra line. I go with a larger diameter due to finger fatigue.

If you're a strong skier, I'd replace at least every season. You'll be impressed by the quality of the mainlines. Just be sure to specify if you want a switch section or not. I skied for months on a short line due to a missing switch section...

I use Brenda's stuff as well. I have one of her 12" eliptical handles and will never go back to a round handle again. I had her make me a mainline that has black rope instead of the normal white between the handle and the last take off loop. Really makes my rope stand out on the dock.

rodltg2
07-06-2006, 10:40 PM
im using accurate now, but ive heard the intow's are great

quincyfirefighter
07-06-2006, 11:12 PM
X2 on the ntow ropes, they are great, Masterline makes a line made for the switch that is nice also. Straightline can't seem to measure length the same way twice.
Have the Masterline and love it . :cool: Still trying to find the right handle for me

BuoyChaser
07-06-2006, 11:40 PM
best deals around at http://www.masterlineusa.com if you can't find their site...

bdecker
07-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Masterline makes great stuff as well. Started using their Mastercurves gloves last year due to a recommendation from 'chaser and they are awesome. Just started on my second pair, and the original could still be used in a pinch. Compared to the pile of Straightline gloves I've got stacked up in my closet, all of which blew off at the seams in less than a week, the Masterlines are great. However, if your can afford $50/week for gloves, you can't beat the grip of the Straightline Super Silicones (the ones with the yellow or gray on the palms). Just don't get attached to them...

pram
07-07-2006, 03:01 PM
So I decided that I want another tractor grip handle, but the question now that I am faced with is whether or not to get a 'BENT' handle 14 or 15 degree camber or even an eliptical handle. as opposed to round. I never new that there were so many choices of handles and ropes out there. iiyiiyii.

ted shred
07-07-2006, 07:25 PM
I luv my Tractor grip!

pram
07-10-2006, 02:08 PM
So I ended up keeping the Straightline rope and bought an Accurate Limited 13" Arc Handle (non-tractor grip). We had Wakefest here in Kelowna this weekend and none of the local boat/ski shops got their orders in this weekend :( so the selection was not very good at all. I never got a chance to pull it on the ski this weekend but I did try it on the wakeboard, seemed to be ok. The big test will be skiing. I am going to pickup a pair of HO Gloves today (hopefull the order came in) thanks for all of the input

nroland
07-10-2006, 06:19 PM
We used straightline for years, then we switeched to the non-stretch stuff (TAC line from lake elmo sports) and love it - - I used to work for Lake Elmo Sports and tied ropes and handles for them (and the barefoot co), so now I just make our own (order the individual parts and assemble) ... can't beat the price!!:)

mitch
07-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Straightline 8 sec Tractorgrip radius (curved) handle.