PDA

View Full Version : 50 hour service cost?

Eagle
07-06-2006, 01:46 PM
What should a fifty hour service cost? According to the owner's manual, it's (1) lubricate the engine starter gear and shaft, and (2) change the engine oil and filter.

I'm coming up on a 50 hour service. I called the dealer to get a quote. The price he quoted, $450-500, caused me to think, "huh???". It was also substantially higher than the quote I got from an independent boat service ($200).

PendO
07-06-2006, 01:51 PM
What should a fifty hour service cost? According to the owner's manual, it's (1) lubricate the engine starter gear and shaft, and (2) change the engine oil and filter.

I'm coming up on a 50 hour service. I called the dealer to get a quote. The price he quoted, $450-500, caused me to think, "huh???". It was also substantially higher than the quote I got from an independent boat service ($200).

no way I'd pay 450-500 for a 50 hour service

G-man
07-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Do it yourself, I know no one here that lubricates the starter shaft unless the starter has been underwater. The oil change can be done in 30-45 minutes. Find another serviceing dealer if you can't do it yourself. Depending on age of boat you may want to change your impeller also.

tommcat
07-06-2006, 02:52 PM
for that kind of money i need to get out of the Ford dealership and into a marina. :eek:

WTRSK1R
07-06-2006, 03:02 PM
It would be interesting to hear from either Jim N or MYMC to find out if that is all that is really in a 50 hour service. They could be doing alot more, but if not, that sounds very high even if they are pulling the starter and lubricating it. I was quoted something like $75 for an oil change including the new oil, filter, and disposing of the old oil. I did it myself for about $15 worth of materials and about 30 minutes of my time.

On the other hand, if they are hooking it up to the computer to dump and error codes, I was told by my Ford dealer that it was a minimum charge of $95 to "dump the error codes" when I was having some issues with my Explorer. :(

east tx skier
07-06-2006, 03:23 PM
My brother in law paid out the wazoo like that for winterization and annual service from his local tournament boat dealer once (and I stress once)

The charge for replacing the impeller was ridiculous. The oil change included the time for the oil to drip out.

I have never messed with the starter although I know JimN has recommended it. But all that said, for about $80 in parts, I can get really extensive with my annual maintenance. And I'm not what most would consider mechanically inclined. The only down side is that if I screw it up, I have only myself to blame. But things have been running pretty well for the last three years.

MYMC
07-06-2006, 03:30 PM
First the cost depends on the boat model. Ballast boats cost more as there are more parts to inspect/replace (if not a warranty issue).

However, as a general rule of thumb: Lube starter, change oil and filter, lube rudder & steering cable (if equipped), inspect all cables and pivot points, inspect impeller & inspect ballast impellers (if equipped). We charge $90.00 (1 hour labor) plus parts... so I guess you could spend as much as $200 here (at MCOC) on this if you needed all the impellers (4) and none were a "warranty failure". Hope that helps. BTW, most of the time this runs less than $100.

bamboo
07-06-2006, 03:34 PM
BAWS charged me $89 for the oil change + starter lube(50hr) I am very pleased with the service and they took care of me. Great testimonial from me as far as them for service.

east tx skier
07-06-2006, 03:57 PM
First the cost depends on the boat model. Ballast boats cost more as there are more parts to inspect/replace (if not a warranty issue).

However, as a general rule of thumb: Lube starter, change oil and filter, lube rudder & steering cable (if equipped), inspect all cables and pivot points, inspect impeller & inspect ballast impellers (if equipped). We charge $90.00 (1 hour labor) plus parts... so I guess you could spend as much as $200 here (at MCOC) on this if you needed all the impellers (4) and none were a "warranty failure". Hope that helps. BTW, most of the time this runs less than $100.

Mike, I think he would've been pleased to get out for under $100 for replacing the impeller on his 99 Supra comp if that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from on labor intensity versus price. :o

I'm not mentioning any names as his local dealer at that time, wasn't a Supra dealer.

Leroy
07-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Get a detailed list of what is being done and the charge. THere maybe a reason it is $500......

quincyfirefighter
07-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Payed $525.00 for a 100 hour service from the MC dealer in Reno, NV. 2 hours from me. Thought I got good service until I got on the water. Steering was so hard that the wife would not drive. So I pulled the floor to see that's up and find that my steering gear has not been greased. :confused: So I check the bill and called to fined that they said they checked and greased the steering system. No new grease on the Zerk fittings. :mad: Also didn't change the spark plugs and impeller because they said it was all good. I have fuel injection so no points. Guess I got a really expensive oil change. Ended up greasing the steering my self now all is good. Only other MC dealer is down by Rod and from what I have heard, their not much better. So my hat is off to all the dealers that help out here on this board. Wish I lived closer to ya all so I could get better service

Eagle
07-06-2006, 11:04 PM
I gotta figure my dealer meant $450-$500 for the 100 hour service not the 50. I sure hope so...

He wanted to keep the boat for a week. With this being prime time of the year for us in the PNW, there's no way I want to part with the boat for that long. I made an appointment with an independent shop that was recommended by a friend of mine who's an MC owner. The shop estimated 1 hr labor + parts, could do it same day, and are on the water (so I don't have to pull my boat and trailer it, as I would to the dealer).

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies.

planoboy
07-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Do it yourself, I know no one here that lubricates the starter shaft unless the starter has been underwater. The oil change can be done in 30-45 minutes. Find another serviceing dealer if you can't do it yourself. Depending on age of boat you may want to change your impeller also.

I lube my shaft. :eek: service the starter that is. ;)