PDA

View Full Version : Another Bright Idea, The State of Florida passed ..

atlfootr
07-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Snapped a pic' of this guy pass'n me, the other day.
NO Helmets on motorcycles, but yet they require you to wear seat belts. :rant:
GO FIGURE :popcorn:
Kinda redundant, if ya ask me .. :twocents:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-06-2006, 11:53 AM
I am grateful they allow us the "CHOICE" here. No requirement to wear one. TOO MANY FRIGGIN LAWS AS IT IS!!!!

ski_king
07-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Now that Big Ben got his bell rung when not wearing a helmut there is talk here in PA to change the law back to requiring a helmet.

Are you allowed to use a cell phone when driving in FL?

bigmac
07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Minnesota is a no-helmet state for those riders over 18 and with a full motorcycle endorsement, and seat belt use is required in autos. I appreciate the choice.

Helmet laws keep being ruled unconstitutional in various states, and even the federal mandate to wear helmets was declared unconstitutional. IIRC, constitutionality was why Florida's helmet law was overturned after 30 years...

Workin' 4 Toys
07-06-2006, 12:14 PM
WHY, is there some politician that feels guilty they let him choose not to wear one?
Why get do they have to get involved in EVERYTHING?!?!?

bigmac
07-06-2006, 12:18 PM
WHY, is there some politician that feels guilty they let him choose not to wear one?
Why get do they have to get involved in EVERYTHING?!?!?Too many legislators feel that a primary duty of legislative bodies is to protect us from ourselves. I resent that...

RexDog1
07-06-2006, 12:22 PM
I think freedom of” CHOICE" is what we are all about

In California we have a helmet law, and the only argument FOR it, I could see was
The Taxpayers had to pay for the hospital bills for the uninsured
Who “CHOICE” not to where a helmet

Hummmm maybe the law should be if you are uninsured and you get in a crash
YOU DYE :eek:

Did I think that, or did I say that? :twocents:

FrankSchwab
07-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Actually, the studies I've seen suggest that, as a whole, society's share of motorcyclist's medical bills is significantly lower when there is no helmet law.

Seems that in low-impact accidents, helmeted and unhelmeted riders suffer similar injuries. In medium-impact accidents, helmeted riders survive with serious injuries (and require expensive treatment), while unhelmeted riders tend to die. In high-impact accidents, they both tend to die.

Personally, I always ride my ST1100 with a full-face helmet, but I really don't believe that it's anyones place to tell me I have to (OK, other than SWMBO, but on this subject she doesn't have to).

/frank

shepherd
07-06-2006, 01:54 PM
For that matter, by the same logic and reasoning seatbelt laws should be overturned. I resent any law designed to protect me from myself. Do I wear seatbelts? Yes, but not because it's the law. Do I wear helmets?
Sometimes... :rolleyes:

shepherd
07-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Helmet laws keep being ruled unconstitutional in various states, and even the federal mandate to wear helmets was declared unconstitutional. IIRC, constitutionality was why Florida's helmet law was overturned after 30 years...

Wow, I didn't know that. There you go - if forcing people to wear helmets is unconstitutional, how come making people wear seatbelts isn't?

bigmac
07-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Wow, I didn't know that. There you go - if forcing people to wear helmets is unconstitutional, how come making people wear seatbelts isn't?
The most quoted rationale is that motorcycle helmets protect only the individual rider and if he crashes, the consequences of not wearing a helmet are on him alone. OTOH, seat belts protect all the occupants of the vehicle from the consequences of bad driving by the driver. IE....the difference between hurting yourself, and hurting innocent passengers. Legislatures strike that as a balance between their duty to protect the public while not infringing on personal liberties.

JEREMY79
07-06-2006, 02:35 PM
the seatbelt doesnt help you drive better

bigmac
07-06-2006, 02:41 PM
the seatbelt doesnt help you drive better...and one argument states that helmets make you drive a motorcycle worse.

shepherd
07-06-2006, 03:14 PM
The most quoted rationale is that motorcycle helmets protect only the individual rider and if he crashes, the consequences of not wearing a helmet are on him alone. OTOH, seat belts protect all the occupants of the vehicle from the consequences of bad driving by the driver. IE....the difference between hurting yourself, and hurting innocent passengers. Legislatures strike that as a balance between their duty to protect the public while not infringing on personal liberties.

Not buying it. The other occupants can choose to wear their seatbelts when they are in the car. They don't need a law to protect them, and they shouldn't blame the driver because the driver didn't require them to buckle up.

shepherd
07-06-2006, 03:16 PM
...and one argument states that helmets make you drive a motorcycle worse.

Depending on the helmet, it can limit your visibility or hearing.

bigmac
07-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Not buying it. The other occupants can choose to wear their seatbelts when they are in the car. They don't need a law to protect them, and they shouldn't blame the driver because the driver didn't require them to buckle up.

The entire argument isn't rational, on either side, on either issue. Many seatbelt laws have been declared unconstitional too, just as many helmet laws have been. Minnesota is a case in point - how they finally got a law that would get by the state Supreme Court after two or three laws were tossed out, I don't know. How do New York or California helmet laws survive, while so many other states haven't? I don't know the answer, only the rationale quoted on various web sites.

One difference, there are huge lobbying organizations against mandatory helmets (American Motorcycle Association, ABATE) but I'm not aware of any organizations that are effectively lobbying against the mandatory use of seat belts.

PendO
07-06-2006, 03:29 PM
The entire argument isn't rational, on either side, on either issue. Many seatbelt laws have been declared unconstitional too, just as many helmet laws have been. Minnesota is a case in point - how they finally got a law that would get by the state Supreme Court after two or three laws were tossed out, I don't know. How do New York or California helmet laws survive, while so many other states haven't? I don't know the answer, only the rationale quoted on various web sites.

One difference, there are huge lobbying organizations against mandatory helmets (American Motorcycle Association, ABATE) but I'm not aware of any organizations that are effectively lobbying against the mandatory use of seat belts.

yeah, but unhelmeted motorcyclists make better organ donors than non-seatbelt passengers ... right?

bigmac
07-06-2006, 04:24 PM
yeah, but unhelmeted motorcyclists make better organ donors than non-seatbelt passengers ... right?

The entire purpose of seat belts is to keep the wearer from being ejected from the vehicle, since a high percentage of "ejectees" will be killed, and the most common cause of death is head injury. Pretty much same for motorcyclists - I'd score 'em about equal for organ donation.

pilot02
07-06-2006, 04:44 PM
STATESBORO, Ga. (AP) -- Georgia Southern senior wide receiver Teddy Craft died early Thursday after being injured in a July 4th motorcycle accident.

Craft, 22, died at Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah, two days after a collision with another motorcyclist threw him from his Suzuki GSX motorcycle just outside the Statesboro city limits.

"On behalf of the entire Georgia Southern community, our thoughts and prayers are with Teddy and his family," Sam Baker, the university's athletic director, said in a statement Thursday.

Craft had been among a group of six motorcyclists riding together Tuesday evening when he slammed into another rider who was attempting a right turn, said Georgia State Patrol Senior Trooper J.B. Scott.

Scott said Craft struck a guide wire to a light poll as he tried to brake.

Craft, who was from Hartwell, was taken to East Georgia Regional Medical Center, then airlifted to Memorial after a two-vehicle accident Tuesday night near Statesboro.

A second team All-Southern Conference pick the past two years, Craft led the Eagles in reception yards (319) and touchdowns (5) last season. He caught four of his five touchdown passes during the final two games.

After spring drills, he was listed as a starter.

An athletic department spokesman said he was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

Leroy
07-06-2006, 05:17 PM
I agree. I also understand everyone's freedom but this is head season as my wife/nurse says. They see so many head injuries at the hospital from motorcycle wrecks in the summer.

Of course I'm for GPS regulated speed control on vehicles....no one speeds ever again!

Snapped a pic' of this guy pass'n me, the other day.
NO Helmets on motorcycles, but yet they require you to wear seat belts. :rant:
GO FIGURE :popcorn:
Kinda redundant, if ya ask me .. :twocents:

shepherd
07-06-2006, 06:05 PM
I agree. I also understand everyone's freedom but this is head season as my wife/nurse says. They see so many head injuries at the hospital from motorcycle wrecks in the summer.

Of course I'm for GPS regulated speed control on vehicles....no one speeds ever again!

Communist... :cool:

I don't know, but maybe Joseph Stalin said "I understand everyone's freedom but..." I'm probably wrong :rolleyes:

PendO
07-06-2006, 06:17 PM

Yeah, then all the electrical engineers (Leroy) could sell gizmo's to bypass the speed control or trick it into a "manual overide" mode:)

Workin' 4 Toys
07-07-2006, 10:22 AM

:eek3: YOU DIDN'T!!! I am now glad you might only be working with Bobcats and tractors......8p

Workin' 4 Toys
07-07-2006, 10:25 AM
I'd score 'em about equal for organ donation.
:eek: I never would have thought there was a point system for this.....:eek:

BM, What about snowmobile helmets? I thought they were mandatory?

Workin' 4 Toys
07-07-2006, 10:27 AM
Depending on the helmet, it can limit your visibility or hearing.
And movement.....

stevo137
07-07-2006, 11:57 AM
The entire purpose of seat belts is to keep the wearer from being ejected from the vehicle, since a high percentage of "ejectees" will be killed, and the most common cause of death is head injury. Pretty much same for motorcyclists - I'd score 'em about equal for organ donation.
Total agreement with Mac on this one. From personal experience, I was in a terrible car accident when I was 7. We never wore seat belts at that time and the speed limit was 70. As a result, one person died and I suffered a serious head injury due to the fact that I was thrown into the rear window. I hit the frame as glass was being broken and it sliced my forehead wide open. I'm fortunate that I wasn't ejected from the car.
I believe if we were wearing seat belts that my injury would not have been as nearly as bad and another person may not have died.
It just makes sense for all to wear seat belts. :twocents:

JimN
07-07-2006, 01:04 PM
I don't ride a cycle but if I did, I'd be wearing a brain bucket. Think about a cantloup flying through the air and landing on concrete or sliding into a curb. Different color but similar effect. Besides, on some bikes, there's not much chance of hearing anything other than that bike. Maybe a siren or a horn honking, but normal car or truck traffic sounds are just about inaudible.

Nobody likes to be told what to do but being a rebel who gished when they were ejected from a car/truck at high speed or did a face plant from a bike that would have been survivable with safety equipment is a wasted life, IMHO.

bigmac
07-07-2006, 01:10 PM
:eek: I never would have thought there was a point system for this.....:eek: There is only the BigMac Organ Donation Scoring System, which hasn't caught on nationwide yet.

BM, What about snowmobile helmets? I thought they were mandatory? In Minnesota, they're only mandatory for riders under 18. Even so, there are obvious practical reasons to wear a helmet while snowmobiling, even beyond the safety reasons. I suspect that not many people or organizations would challenge a snowmobile helmet law - the "wind-in-the-face" "personal freedom" that motorcyclists tout has substantially less appeal when the temps get below freezing.

Additionally, I think that off-road vehicle activity is in kind of a different category than on-road motorcycling - at least IMHO. I wear a helmet while riding my Harley only occasionally, but I always wear one while riding my dirt bike or even mountain bike off-road. Same for quads - shoot, I wear a helmet on my Air Chair more often than I do on my road bike.

I am not anti-helmet at all. I think that helmets should be encouraged, and widely used..I'm even kind of neutral on helmet laws. If Minnesota passed a helmet law tomorrow, I'd start wearing one without a peep. Helmets are a good idea. Period.

Do as I say, not as I do... ;)
http://mccollister.info/gifs/scissors.gif

shepherd
07-07-2006, 01:35 PM
It just makes sense for all to wear seat belts. :twocents:

Nobody likes to be told what to do but being a rebel who gished when they were ejected from a car/truck at high speed or did a face plant from a bike that would have been survivable with safety equipment is a wasted life, IMHO.

I agree with both of you. But in this supposedly free country, I believe that people should have a choice. That's all I'm saying

Workin' 4 Toys
07-08-2006, 12:49 AM
I agree with both of you. But in this supposedly free country, I believe that people should have a choice. That's all I'm saying
And well said I might add.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-09-2006, 01:41 PM
While I have always wore a helmet when riding a bike, I think its the rider's choice. Just because I think its right for ME to wear one, that doesnt mean everyone else should. It should be personal choice IMO.

atlfootr
07-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Are you allowed to use a cell phone, when driving in FL?PROBABLY NOT

Yet, Floridan's (me included) do it daily. :o
I heard jus' the other day, it's a $150 fine for NOT wearing a seatbelt :eek:

ALL VEHICLES & PICKUP TRUCKS INCLUDED!

I've started buckling up :D
That's a tank of fuel for my BF200 :woohoo:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-10-2006, 12:35 AM
The laws for seatbelts are geared toward passenger safety.
Is there a motorcycle helmet law for motorcyle passengers?

TonyB
07-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Here in Alabama it is required that you wear a seat belt unless......

....wait for it....

....you are riding in the back of a pickup truck.

Alabama still allows passengers to ride in the bed of a pickup. However, if they choose to move up to the cab, they've gotta' buckle up.

Safety first.

atlfootr
07-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Here in Alabama it is required that you wear a seat belt unless ..... you are riding in the back of a pickup truck.Are horse's exzempted?