PDA

View Full Version : Switching to 4160 Carb

bfinley
07-06-2006, 02:01 AM
How big of a job is it to switch from a Holley 4010 to a 4160 Carb. If I order the one from SkiDIM, will it come with all the necessary hoses, etc., or will there be additional parts that are needed??

Tennesseeski
07-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Think you will also need a new fuel line as well.

jake
07-06-2006, 10:15 AM
The fuel line you need is not made anymore. You'll have to go to NAPA or similar and have one bent. DIM advised me to take a coat hanger and bend it to the shape you need, then bring it in to NAPA with your old fuel line to have them bend it. They can either use the fittings off your old line, or match them if you don't want to cut it. Estimated cost $20.

Alternatively, you can buy a USCG approved flexible/universal fuel line from DIM for $70. Vince told me it works, but he wouldn't use it if it were his boat. Doesn't look as good and isn't how the boats came from the factory, but is safe and works just fine.

Other than that, it should just bolt on with a new gasket.

I ordered mine from i-5 components, was $200 cheaper than DIM ($300 as apposed to $500) and I was guaranteed an original equipment marine carb. I contacted National Carburetors (brought up here on another thread) and they had great prices but said they covert street carbs to Marine, so that scared me off. Looking for my 4160 to arrive July 11th.

Also, Doug has already been through this conversion and has posted on the topic a number of times. Do a search for "4160".

MarkP
07-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Tenski is right, you do need a new fuel line as well. DIM should have told you that. They do sell them.

Let us know how the new carb works out..

MarkP
07-06-2006, 10:19 AM
Well, They DID have them last year, (I thought). I guess Jakes info is more current

TMCNo1
07-06-2006, 10:49 AM
I bought a new raw S/S fuel line from Skidim for my 4160 single inlet, to replace the factory original painted steel line, had it polished, only to find out it was 1/4" short and would not reach the carb. There was no possible way to stretch it to make it work. Had a S/S braided line made up at a street rod/race shop, $52. Vince offered to take it back the one I got from him, but I kept it just in case. I could always cut it, add a coupling and adjust the length to fit if I ever need another one for some strange reason.

east tx skier
07-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Wow, so they quit making that fuel line, eh? It's a bendy looking thing for sure.

jake
07-06-2006, 01:26 PM
According to Vince if you have a newer fuel pump (PCM style) then you can get a line, but if you have the original Indmar pump, the lines are no longer made. The angle of the dangle is a little off, so the PCM line will not work with the Indmar fuel pump.

Another option is to switch your fuel pump for about $75 so the PCM fuel line would work.