PDA

View Full Version : Fines for Towing a skiier without an observer

jdjob
07-05-2006, 03:24 PM
I have called everyone from the Sherif to the Bureau of reclamation to the Coast Guard and no one can tell me what the penalty is (in California) for getting caught towing a skiier without a third person "observer". Does anyone know??? Are you fined? Arrested? What happens?

Even if you're not from California, if you know the penalty in your state, I'd love to hear about it.
Thank you very much,
Jess

jkski
07-05-2006, 03:31 PM
This probably won't help a lot, however, the fine in Ohio is currently $90 for the first offense and then it doubles for the second, from what I've been told. (It's always nice to know how much it is going to cost you so that you can plan for it!)

rodltg2
07-05-2006, 03:47 PM
id be curious too, i bet the first time would be a slap on the wrist

G-man
07-05-2006, 03:51 PM
In Texas no observer required

"Mirrors Required"
Every motorboat towing a person must have an observer, other than the operator, 13 years of age or older OR be equipped with a rearview mirror of a size no less than 4" in measurement from bottom to top and across from one side to the other."

east tx skier
07-05-2006, 03:56 PM
I can't imagine keeping tabs on a skier with a 4"x4" mirror.

JohnnyB
07-05-2006, 03:57 PM
I believe WI is $285

CoFooter
07-05-2006, 03:57 PM
I got pulled over on Havasu years ago for this and the fine was about $50.00. Mailed it in I think. Don't know what the current fine is.

Mikey
07-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Anyone know the rules about observers in Louisiana? Do I have to have one even if I have a mirror?

jdjob
07-05-2006, 04:05 PM
I hope all of you are right that the worst could be a couple hundred dollars or something like that. We have perfect pass (so I don't need to constantly watch the speedo) and a large rear view mirror (so visibility is no problem) and we go from 5:30am - 8am when no one is on the water so... I feel pretty safe about it but I can't risk losing my job if I was arrested for endangerment or something! :eek:
Thanks again!
Jess

BrianM
07-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Anyone know the rules about observers in Louisiana? Do I have to have one even if I have a mirror?

No observer required here as long as you have a mirror.

And another note on LA boating laws. Skiers are NOT required to wear a PFD. So all of the trick skiers can go jacketless in public water.

billr
07-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Alabama: No observer , mirror must be a certain size.

ttu
07-05-2006, 04:14 PM
In Oklahoma it's either a observer of age 8 or a mirror.

db

rodltg2
07-05-2006, 04:17 PM
make a ski dummy!

André
07-05-2006, 04:20 PM
make a ski dummy!
Isn't what your parents did? :eek:

It's a joke guys,only a joke.Please don't ban me! :D
136$ cdn fine here.Got one 3 years ago...

jdjob
07-05-2006, 04:20 PM
I actually thought of that but I think the fine for... trying to fool an officer might be worse than the fine for the crime itself! (-:

X2M
07-05-2006, 04:23 PM
The amount of the fee will depend on the county. Will probably be a couple of hundred dollars.

I talked to a guy at our launch a couple of weeks ago who got caught for this on Berryessa. The ticket was $375...ouch. :eek:

BeavenX5
07-05-2006, 04:43 PM
136$ cdn fine here.Got one 3 years ago...

I am doing this quite often early in the mornings in the course with my neighbor. One of my friend told me last week-end not to do it because you can get a criminal record if you get cought. :eek3: He sounded pretty sure about this.
I am now considering not doing it again since I could loose my accounting license over something this stupid.

André: What did the cop told you about this criminal offence when he cought you? Do you know where to confirm this law (Transport Canada, Provincial government, other)? Did you get any kind of reference to a law on your ticket?
Thanks

André
07-05-2006, 04:46 PM
I am doing this quite often early in the mornings in the course with my neighbor. One of my friend told me last week-end not to do it because you can get a criminal record if you get cought. :eek3: He sounded pretty sure about this.
I am now considering not doing it again since I could loose my accounting license over something this stupid.

André: What did the cop told you about this criminal offence when he cought you? Do you know where to confirm this law (Transport Canada, Provincial government, other)? Did you get any kind of reference to a law on your ticket?
Thanks
Just a plain ticket that you receive in the mail later.Never mentionned anything about criminal record or such.
:wavey:

BradD
07-05-2006, 04:50 PM
We ski on a private lake with nearly 60 homes and a list of association rules. The rules state that you must have a competent observer. A nasty, unsigned note, was left in the mail box complaining that I was spotted several times without an observer. I have always had an observer, it's just that sometimes that observer is 5 years old and not very visible from shore. But my 5 year olds know faster, slower, and "he fell, hahahahaha" better that many adults I've had in my boat.

Now, I didn't answer your question, but I at least got that off my chest.

rodltg2
07-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I actually thought of that but I think the fine for... trying to fool an officer might be worse than the fine for the crime itself! (-:

yeah, you might be right. where do you ski, ? you live close to me .

atlfootr
07-05-2006, 05:03 PM
No observer required here, as long as you have a mirror.
Here either Florida nor Georgia :banana:

jdjob
07-05-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm in Northern Ca

wiltok
07-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I believe in Michigan it's $80.

bigmac
07-05-2006, 05:16 PM
Minnesota is mirror-only - no observer required. Skier doesn't need to be wearing a flotation device, but there must be one in the boat for him/her.

The only stipulations on the mirror is that it must provide the operator "a wide field of vision".

SteveO
07-05-2006, 05:18 PM
A nasty, unsigned note, was left in the mail box complaining that I was spotted several times without an observer. I have always had an observer, it's just that sometimes that observer is 5 years old and not very visible from shore. But my 5 year olds know faster, slower, and "he fell, hahahahaha" better that many adults I've had in my boat.

Now, I didn't answer your question, but I at least got that off my chest.

Brad. Sounds to me like they are jealous.

pilot02
07-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Brian's correct about not needing an observer in LA with a mirror but the mirror does have to be 7X14 to be legal. Also, that wasn't always the case.... a bit of trivia, Until the late 80's/early 90's you were required to have an observer at which point a friend of mine (Jimmy Woods who own's the Que Stick in Ruston) petitioned the to have the law changed.

DemolitionMan
07-05-2006, 06:19 PM
same as atl said just a mirror in georgia

djhuff
07-05-2006, 06:22 PM
NC is mirror and CG approved PFD worn by the person being towed.

wiltok
07-05-2006, 06:46 PM
I believe that Minn changed the law this year - an observer is now required. Could be wrong - but that's what I heard...

EDIT: I am wrong - I'm thinking of Wisconsin.

jrcarte78
07-05-2006, 07:18 PM
No 3rd required in Arkansas, but a convex mirror of a certain dimension(8" I believe) is required.

J.R.

beef
07-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Maryland does require a 3rd, 12 or older. I got a ticket once for using an underage observer - I think it was $85. Went to traffic court for it and got it reduced to $20.

kwood
07-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Washington state $95.00 as of memorial day 2006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kpickett
07-06-2006, 02:17 PM
There are certain lakes here in N.Cal. where there are no Sheriff patrols between Labor Day and Memorial Day. :)

That said, I would like to know what the fine is in California, too.

jdjob
07-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Here is the official law for the state of California.
According to section 668 of the California Harbors and Navigation code, a person caught towing a skier without an observer (who must be over the age of 12 and using a flag) will be guilty of a misdemeanor. They will be fined up to $200 and must appear in court. I received this information from Mike Setello at the California Department of Boating and Waterways. His number is 916-263-0782.

SkiDog
07-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Years ago, I had a buddy of mine get stopped for NOT wearing a PFD while trick skiing. Gave him a ticket, and was gonna give his wife a ticket for pulling him if he didn't stop *****ing! He paid the fine (around $60.00) with a bag full of nickels! They weren't gonna except it, but there happened to be a lawyer standing there laughing his a$$ off, and he told them it was US currency, and they HAD to take it if it was being offered to pay the fine! That bag full of nickels must have weighed 20 pounds! :D

TOO-TALL
07-06-2006, 07:30 PM
I got busted last year here in IL 80.00.I don't know if it went up this year.