PDA

View Full Version : What is a "Wally"?

Mikey
07-05-2006, 02:46 PM
I hear the term alot but Im not quite sure what it means.

Rockman
07-05-2006, 02:48 PM
I hear the term alot but Im not quite sure what it means.

With all due respect..."A person who owns (or uses) a boat, does not know how to drive it and has little respect for anyone else on the lake."

Danimal
07-05-2006, 02:50 PM
With all due respect..."A person who owns (or uses) a boat, does not know how to drive it and has little respect for anyone else on the lake."

Yup... A Weekend Wally is what we call 'em.

Rockman
07-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Alright, I gave the gentle version...let's here what others have to say...

This thread will be a good one! :D

RobertT
07-05-2006, 02:51 PM
There was a wally convention on my lake yesterday.....it was horrendous.

SD190EVO
07-05-2006, 02:51 PM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define%3A+wally

jkski
07-05-2006, 02:54 PM
"Wally"...aka. "Weekend Wally" (no offense to anyone who only can use their boat on the weekend)
Defined as:
A person, typically an I/O or Outboard boat owner (other than a BF200), who uses their boat on the weekends only and is inexperienced at proper boating etiquette. This term typically does not apply to most inboard ski /wakeboard boat owners, however, I think we all would agree that some have krept into the ranks.

djhuff
07-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Had a good one yesterday. We were riding in a cove (not a real big one at that) and some guy came in and started doing donuts with his kids in the tube. We politely asked him to go a little further toward the main lake, as there were already waves there and he wouldn't be messing up the water for us.

He actually told us that he was on the Windward side of the cove and the wind would keep the waves from bothering us!!! I have a feeling that is going to be a good joke for the rest of the year.

Mikey
07-05-2006, 03:01 PM
HaHaHa, I figured it was something like that. The river that I go to is loaded with Wally's. Im sure Farmer Ted would agree.

sanjuan23
07-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Last Tuesday my buddy is putting the trailer into the water I am lining up and heading in Jacka$$ in a 70 something trihull with Folding Chair special edition seating cuts right between me and the trailer. I have to make another round and he just stares at me like I was doing something wrong. Must have been Jealous!! :D

skeeler
07-05-2006, 03:32 PM
What do hate about "wallies"? When the water is butter (8am.), and their rider.......wait, I mean tuber, falls off (because it takes a lot of skill and talent to ride on an inflatable object), and they make that 150 foot, full speed, swooping turn to pick up the fallen rider. Which as you know, sends rollers down the whole lake. Thus, screwing up everyone's water. Like you need to be tubing at 8am. I had a guy tell me once that he gets out early to go tubing so he can get the good water. ***!!!!!

Ric
07-05-2006, 03:40 PM
tubers need good water

#47of100TeamMC
07-05-2006, 03:49 PM
This topic sends steam out the ears of most of us I would assume... We threw the course in sunday morning reallynice water. just as I pull up my cousin for a run through the course... a Bayliner comes from shore on the other end of the course and starts weaving in and out of the buoys...:mad: ARE YOU KIDDING ME... we are lined up for the course and he just keeps on weaving back and forth. finally as we hit the gates he tears off down the lake meanwhile at about 2 ball my cousin pulls up and takes on the 2' rollers... now THAT is a wally. Unbelievable.

I have never actually stopped and chatted with a tubing boat. I can't imagine anything good can come from trying to explain to them you prefer nice calm water. I imagine getting stared at by a blank looking clueless boater. Has anybody had good luck with this? how do you present such a request to ask them to stay on one end of the lake with any success?

east tx skier
07-05-2006, 03:51 PM
What do hate about "wallies"? When the water is butter (8am.), and their rider.......wait, I mean tuber, falls off (because it takes a lot of skill and talent to ride on an inflatable object), and they make that 150 foot, full speed, swooping turn to pick up the fallen rider. Which as you know, sends rollers down the whole lake. Thus, screwing up everyone's water. Like you need to be tubing at 8am. I had a guy tell me once that he gets out early to go tubing so he can get the good water. ***!!!!!

We saw our share of the idiots going for the gold at the idiot olympics on the river this weekend. We'd just pull it back to almost a dead stop and get out of the way. In our one cruise down the river, we probably had to do this no fewer than 10 times. I'm no huge fan of being on the water on a holiday weekend. We did enjoy lots of beer on the dock this year.

Mikey
07-05-2006, 03:55 PM
We did enjoy lots of beer on the dock this year.

There is not a thing wrong with that. :headbang:

shepherd
07-05-2006, 04:25 PM
This term typically does not apply to most inboard ski /wakeboard boat owners, however, I think we all would agree that some have krept into the ranks.

I know they have crept into the ranks, because I've had wakeboard boats do exactly what #47 experienced. I'm not condemning you serious wakeboarders out there, but it seems that most inexperienced new ski boat owners tend to go with wakeboarding instead of slaloming.

just as I pull up my cousin for a run through the course... a Bayliner comes from shore on the other end of the course and starts weaving in and out of the buoys... ARE YOU KIDDING ME... we are lined up for the course and he just keeps on weaving back and forth. finally as we hit the gates he tears off down the lake .

shepherd
07-05-2006, 04:29 PM
What do hate about "wallies"? When the water is butter (8am.), and their rider.......wait, I mean tuber, falls off (because it takes a lot of skill and talent to ride on an inflatable object), and they make that 150 foot, full speed, swooping turn to pick up the fallen rider. Which as you know, sends rollers down the whole lake. Thus, screwing up everyone's water.

Shoot skeeler, we all know that they like to do the 150' full speed swooping turns even when the rider is still on the tube, just to give him or her a better ride! :noface:

RexDog1
07-05-2006, 04:33 PM
A Jet Ski driver :twocents:

east tx skier
07-05-2006, 04:38 PM
I have never actually stopped and chatted with a tubing boat. I can't imagine anything good can come from trying to explain to them you prefer nice calm water. I imagine getting stared at by a blank looking clueless boater. Has anybody had good luck with this? how do you present such a request to ask them to stay on one end of the lake with any success?

Some folks in our ski club that I have skied with from time to time would always talk to people that insisted on ignoring the posted signs stating that our club had a lease from the city on the enitre cove during posted hours. Despite our having the right to restrict use of the course and the surrounding cove, the approach always taken was to explain that we had a lease and then invite them to anchor their boat and come ski with us.

While no one ever took us up on it, I thought it was a nice way to handle it without giving them much opportunity to get mad about it.

Harvey
07-06-2006, 01:57 PM
A wally is a your average I/O owner who is on the lake with their walmart bought equipment trying to have what they call a good time. Usually they don't know or appreciate the finer points of competitive skiing, 3 event, or wakeboarding. Often times wallies are so ignorant of the rules and regs of the water that they create problems that they SHOULD know better than to create.

As a wakeboarding member of the board and a former skier I stay as far from the course as I can. Unless no one is in it then I will ski there till someone shows up. Most people should observe the rule that if you come up on a skier or wakeboarder while not towing someone then you should drop throttle to idle until they pass and then resume speed. I observe this rule religously.

kpickett
07-06-2006, 02:11 PM
I know they have crept into the ranks, because I've had wakeboard boats do exactly what #47 experienced. I'm not condemning you serious wakeboarders out there, but it seems that most inexperienced new ski boat owners tend to go with wakeboarding instead of slaloming.

I'll second that one. I sure wish that owning a Mastercraft gave people a natural sense of good boating practices, but that's certainly not the case around here. I see a lot of folks with more money than sense. These days, I'm not sure anyone buys a boat unless it has a v-drive, ballast, and a tower.

shepherd
07-06-2006, 02:13 PM
As a wakeboarding member of the board and a former skier I stay as far from the course as I can. Unless no one is in it then I will ski there till someone shows up. Most people should observe the rule that if you come up on a skier or wakeboarder while not towing someone then you should drop throttle to idle until they pass and then resume speed. I observe this rule religously.

Thanks Harvey. I hope I didn't imply that all (or most) wakeboarders are ignorant wallys. In fact, I should point out one day on the lake we arrived at the ski course to find a wakeboarder skiing around (but not through) the ski course. We sat and watched for about 5 minutes and when he was done he came over and asked if I wanted him to take a break so I could ski! :eek: See, there are considerate people out there, just not enough.

Harvey
07-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks Harvey. I hope I didn't imply that all (or most) wakeboarders are ignorant wallys. In fact, I should point out one day on the lake we arrived at the ski course to find a wakeboarder skiing around (but not through) the ski course. We sat and watched for about 5 minutes and when he was done he came over and asked if I wanted him to take a break so I could ski! :eek: See, there are considerate people out there, just not enough.

I will be the first one to rag on the people with more money than sense. Funny thing is they usually own a large ticket boat and tend to wakeboard. I prefer a slalom skier over a wakeboarder in any cove I am in. I come from a single plank background so I have a different perspective than your average wakeboarder these days. I still laugh at two plankers, they kill me everytime. I keep yelling from the boat drop the other ski, although I suppose they are at least on the right track.

richardsoncd
07-06-2006, 02:42 PM
We have a regular Wally near my dock, the stupid Son of B%$^CH cruises up and down the river my dock is on (only 5 minutes from the open water of the lake) in a small yacht...literally the thing has a spinning radar deal on it....anyway, he cruises through the river at about 15 mph throwing out 3-5 rollers constantly...it actually swamped my boat once when I was out. :mad:

maristarman
07-06-2006, 03:06 PM
A wally is a your average I/O owner who is on the lake with their walmart bought equipment trying to have what they call a good time. Usually they don't know or appreciate the finer points of competitive skiing, 3 event, or wakeboarding. Often times wallies are so ignorant of the rules and regs of the water that they create problems that they SHOULD know better than to create.

Harvey, lets not bring socio-economics into it.

I've come across quite a few rich spoiled kids with some very expensive boats who are just as much 'Wallys" as anyone else.

Just because someone can't afford the finer things in life doesn't mean they automatically are an inconsiderate/ignorant boater.

I don't agree with most of what Gene said in his rantings, but this is an example of the kind of thing he was complaining about.

Someone may be able to afford a MasterCraft, but you can't buy "class" or "common sense".

Just my :twocents:

Harvey
07-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I've come across quite a few rich spoiled kids with some very expensive boats who are just as much 'Wallys" as anyone else.

Just because someone can't afford the finer things in life doesn't mean they automatically are an inconsiderate/ignorant boater.

Someone may be able to afford a MasterCraft, but you can't buy "class" or "common sense".

Agreed. Just because someone owns good equipment doesn't necessarily mean they are not a wally. Conversely, just because they own a Walmart plank doesn't mean they are a wally. A lack of understanding the rules of boating and disrespect for the fellow boater is what helps to define wallies. For the record I buy all my equipment (aka, beverages of choice) at Walmart. :D

Doug G
07-07-2006, 12:58 AM
A wally is someone that demonstrates poor judgement, lack of respect or general idiocy on the water. It doesn't have a da#n thing to do with what name is on the side or back of the boat or how much you paid for it. This MC single plank BS gets carried away and is frankly embarrassing. Give it a rest. If they are enjoying themselves on 2 planks, an inflatable or a piece of plywood who are you to judge?

I've seen morons in kayaks and VD's and DD's and everything in between. Education about how to boat is not an inherent knowledge you are born with. Next time you encounter a wally instead of being an a$$. Pull up and have a friendly conversation they probably don't know any better. When's the last time you loaded the ballast and sent your rollers at someone without realizing it? you've never pulled a dumb a$$ mistake?

Sorry, I'm done. :rant: Let the flaming begin.
P.S. I wakeboard and don't own a ski but I do own a tube. I have made my share of mistakes while I was learning to boat and said sorry quite a few times in the beginning but you just couldn't hear me.
Where's the bar? :toast:

Farmer Ted
07-07-2006, 01:05 AM
HaHaHa, I figured it was something like that. The river that I go to is loaded with Wally's. Im sure Farmer Ted would agree.

Funny you should mention that Mickey!

Remember the guy on Monday who was on the ramp loading his boat when you pulled into the lane to rig yours?

The fact that they both jumped in the boat and decided to take it on it's maiden voyage (leaving their truck and trailer jamming the ramp) would qualify those two clowns for Super Wally status!

AirJunky
07-07-2006, 02:04 AM
Wally Burr..... he's the guy who taught Herb O'Brien, Denny Kidder & Paul Wiley how to make the old glue lam waterskis.
We honor his role in waterskiing history by calling every dumba$$ on the water after him. :rant:

gr8smiles
07-07-2006, 02:27 AM
Two words......"Orange Lifejackets"

djhuff
07-07-2006, 08:49 AM
The '06 Rewind DVD has an instructional on how to drive a boat (no power turns, idle back to rider etc.). Maybe some first time boat buyers will at least watch this.

tex
07-07-2006, 10:39 AM
We had this guy call and want to join our show ski club. He owned a Moomba and claimed to be a wakeboard stud. I asked him what tricks he could do and here is his list.
1.I'm one of only 6 guys in the world who can do an ATB on a wakeboard.
2.I can jump over a guy riding a tube.
3.I can make 100% of my 360's if I let go of the rope.
We explained that he could not bring his boat to our site due to insurance reasons. He says ok but shows up in the middle of us practicing footing. He pulls in at about 15 mph and destroys all the water. No chit...he is about 120lbs and missing several teeth. We finally let him show us his riding skills. He still insists on using his boat due to not wanting to pull the ball of the top of my tower. He claims that when he does his atb...he has pulled off the ball on his tower several times due to the 60 mph speeds he gets. He also has to have his cousin drive because it is a death defying trick. He sits on the dock...puts on his oakleys and turns his hat around backwards. He could bearly jump boat wakes. He did make an ATB but I did not have the nerve to tell him that there were more than 6 people in the world who could do this! Can you believe we let this Wally get away?

Farmer Ted
07-07-2006, 10:49 AM
We had this guy call and want to join our show ski club. He owned a Moomba and claimed to be a wakeboard stud. I asked him what tricks he could do and here is his list.
1.I'm one of only 6 guys in the world who can do an ATB on a wakeboard.
2.I can jump over a guy riding a tube.
3.I can make 100% of my 360's if I let go of the rope.
We explained that he could not bring his boat to our site due to insurance reasons. He says ok but shows up in the middle of us practicing footing. He pulls in at about 15 mph and destroys all the water. No chit...he is about 120lbs and missing several teeth. We finally let him show us his riding skills. He still insists on using his boat due to not wanting to pull the ball of the top of my tower. He claims that when he does his atb...he has pulled off the ball on his tower several times due to the 60 mph speeds he gets. He also has to have his cousin drive because it is a death defying trick. He sits on the dock...puts on his oakleys and turns his hat around backwards. He could bearly jump boat wakes. He did make an ATB but I did not have the nerve to tell him that there were more than 6 people in the world who could do this! Can you believe we let this Wally get away?

ATB? Around the boat?

You should have let him join the club as an "apprentice" and made him the waterboy/gasboy.

Can I join your club?

I one of a handful that can do the death defying deep water start on a slalom ski (most of the time) and I've nearly mastered my 22 off wake to wake at 30 MPH

I'm still landing a little short of the second wake but I'm sure that I could nail it in front of a crowd (I always seem to do better under pressure)

I'd be willing as long as your dues are cheaper than $2500 a year for the first family member!

oh...one caveat, my wife has to drive me unless she could coach one of ya'lls drivers....

stevo137
07-07-2006, 10:55 AM
There was a wally convention on my lake yesterday.....it was horrendous.
I can show you a lake near me where there are many varieties of Wally's. It's very dangerous out there on weekends.

Farmer Ted
07-07-2006, 10:57 AM
I can show you a lake near me where there are many varieties of Wally's. It's very dangerous out there on weekends.

It must be there mating ground?

Have there been any new developments lately that would have disturbed their natural habitat?

stevo137
07-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Have there been any new developments lately that would have disturbed their natural habitat?

Farmer, I think this might have something to do with it.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/stevo137/MemorialDay06007.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/stevo137/MemorialDay06010.jpg