PDA

View Full Version : Seat rams...

masterthingy
07-05-2006, 12:43 PM
I have a 98 anniversary edition, and the rams(shocks) whatever you want to call them, don't hold the seat up anymore. And since I'm tired of getting smushed everytime I have to get my ski out, I was wondering if anyone knew where to find those... We have tried auto parts stores, but they won't hold the seat up either. I'd like to avoid the mastercraft dealer cause I know that would be pricey, but I will if I have to.
Thanks!

jkski
07-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Try giving MidOhio Watersports a call (330) 626-9115. I know you want to avoid a dealership, however, you also want to avoid getting the wrong part and the hassle of returning it, etc. I replaced these on one of my seats once, and they key was that I got a stronger one, as the one that was originally supplied was not heavy enough to hold up the seat and just wore out.
If nothing else, try www.skiidm.com, everyone seems to have good luck with them.

starman205
07-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I believe you are talking about Gas Lift Springs?

Here is a link to Overtons

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=74269&fcat=

east tx skier
07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
I have a 98 anniversary edition, and the rams(shocks) whatever you want to call them, don't hold the seat up anymore. And since I'm tired of getting smushed everytime I have to get my ski out, I was wondering if anyone knew where to find those... We have tried auto parts stores, but they won't hold the seat up either. I'd like to avoid the mastercraft dealer cause I know that would be pricey, but I will if I have to.
Thanks!

I purchased a replacement for the gas lifting shock under my observer seat from my MC dealer for a cool $11. Yours may be a bit more expensive given that the entire observer seat base and back lift up together, but this part shouldn't be too expensive to replace through the dealer.

bigmac
07-05-2006, 01:10 PM
If you're not going to buy OEM, it becomes kind of a crap shoot. There are a lot of variables - length compressed, length extended, stroke, compression, type of end fittings.

Best bet is to look at thegas lift spring you're looking to replace and find out the mfgr and model number, look it up on the web (or call them) to get the exact specs, then see if you can match it somewhere like Overtons or West Marine, where it might be cheaper (probably not, though). My experience was that, given the hassle involved, it was far simpler to just order the replacement part from the dealer.

Thrall
07-05-2006, 01:39 PM
NAPA!
I've replaced the gas struts on the observer seat and the engine box.
Struts for the seat were $22 each.
The parts man can match them up easily. Only 3 variables: compressed length, extended length and lift lbs.
For reference, the seat struts are 30 lb lift. SOunds like alot, but that's what was OEM and it works fine, don't rmember the lenght.

masterthingy
07-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the info! Looks bad having bruises on your back :D