PDA

View Full Version : Need to winterize in north/central florida?

dwe
10-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Do I need to drain the block for my boat in Gainesville, FL? This is my first inboard, and I've never done anything with outboards before--I guess because I still fished some in the winter. I won't ski past the next few weeks until it warms up again. I went ahead and got fogger, and fuel stabilizer since its going to sit. Just wondering on whether to drain the block. It's rare, but it does freeze sometimes here.

Thanks!

east tx skier
10-27-2004, 10:52 AM
If it freezes, drain the block. Heck, if it doesn't freeze, go ahead and drain the block. It takes about 5 minutes to unscrew the plugs, pcv valve and hoses. If you're not going to be using it, it's probably better not to have water sitting in it all winter. My $.02.

OhioProstar
10-27-2004, 11:02 AM
I think people lump all storage methods as winterizing. Any time you don't operate a boat or car for a few months you should probably run Stabil in the gas tank, keep the battery on a drip charger or remove, and in the case of a boat, fog the cylinders. I would drain the water in the block and pull the impeller as it can form to the inside of the raw pump.

87Craft
10-27-2004, 11:19 AM
I live in FL as well. I have a 1987 Prostar. As for winterizing...I don't do it. I put a bottle of Sta-Bil in the tank, and that's it. I keep the boat in my garage, so it never sees temps below 50F (i'm guessing). A couple times each "winter", i'll start the boat and run it for 10-15 minutes.

If doing the other stuff gives you peace of mind, then do it, otherwise go watch football. By the way, it might be worth mentioning that I have 2200+ hours on my boat, and this is the only winterization plan i have ever used.