PDA

View Full Version : Another Skin Problem

hokiecharlie
07-05-2006, 09:53 AM
I have a 98 Prostar 205. Just noticed this weekend that the seam on the observer seat is just starting to barely pull apart. Is there anything I can do to stop this now or will it inevitably keep getting worse until it has to be replaced?

JimN
07-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Yeah- don't kneel or step on any of the seams. Also, when sitting, don't put a fist down on the seams to help get into position.

hokiecharlie
07-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Is there anything Ican do to strengthen the seam, repair the seam, etc? Any good vinyl repair prodcut that would help?

east tx skier
07-05-2006, 11:30 AM
It could be one of two things that I can think of off hand. Either the threads have degraded or the vinyl at the seam has rotted. If it's the former, just take the skin to an upholstery shop and have it resewn. If the latter, you may have to replace the skin.

Any number of things (including what Jim mentioned) could increase the rate at which something like this occurs. In my boat, when my o-seat seam split, it was rotten vinyl. But after 10 years (none of which the boat was in my care), what was I going to do but fix it.

As for the threads, be careful what you use to clean the seats. Bleach will eat threads. After replacing that skin, I'm very careful about stepping on seats, etc. Expensive stuff.