PDA

View Full Version : New 94 ProStar! - need some help...

kpickett
10-27-2004, 02:25 AM
Well, it's been my lifelong dream to have a Mastercraft, and I picked up my '94 ProStar 190 yesterday! I'm very excited. It's raining and cold here, but I'm going to take it out on the lake tomorrow.

I need a little help. I wrote to Mastercraft about getting the owner's manual, but they don't have them any more, and the guy I bought it from lost his. Would anyone with a '94 be willing to copy the manual and send it to me? I'd be happy to pay for copying and postage.

Also, since I don't have the manual yet, could someone tell me what oil filter to use and what type and quantity of oil? I want to change the oil right away.

Any other tips for a new Mastercraft owner?

Thanks very much,

Kyle Pickett

ktn_cmu
10-27-2004, 08:21 AM
Sweet lookin boat! Can you get some more shots? Sorry, I don't have the answers you are lookin for, but I am sure they won't be long.

gene dobies
10-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Congrats Kyle. Looks great. Good Luck.

sizzler
10-27-2004, 09:05 AM
nice boat kyle........excuse my ign. but whats the purpose of the spoiler????? :confused:

Zach S
10-27-2004, 09:18 AM
The Spoiler give the boat traction at high speeds... :D I believe the purpose was to hang a net to protect the driver and spotter from being hit with the handle when the skier crashed. I could be wrong, but I think that is what it is for... Nice looking boat.

Jorski
10-27-2004, 09:31 AM
[/QUOTE]excuse my ign. but whats the purpose of the spoiler????? [QUOTE]

It was indeed for protection: It was called the Safe-T-Top and was an option.

BTW...very cool reverse color scheme !!!!

G-man
10-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Great looking boat, the "spoiler" is made to hold the net to protect the driver and passenger should the handle fly back into the boat. I think they call them Tee tops. Five quarts of oil, NAPA 1069 filter, it's a standard chevy oil filter. While your at it change the H2O separator filter, trans fluid and in the spring change the impeller. That is rare to have a hull with reverse graphics in 94. :steering:

east tx skier
10-27-2004, 09:44 AM
I've got a manual for a 93, which might work for you. I'm surprised that they said they didn't have one. They had one for my 93 when I emailed them last year. Did you write or email them. You might try to shoot them an email in the meantime at teammc@mastercraftboats.com. There are lots of folks on here with 94s, so I'm sure you'll have the right manual one way or the other. Also, a lot of the basic stuff hasn't changed too drastically from what I can see in the manual, so some questions you have might be answered by the 2005manual they have on this site.

Sweet boat!

MarkP
10-27-2004, 10:14 AM
Sharp 94 Pickett:toast:

And Welcome aboard:wavey:

lakes Rick
10-27-2004, 11:09 AM
You could get a radar on that "spoiler" wear a pink shirt, get a black guy as a passenger, and play "Miami Vice".....

captkidd
10-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Don't forget about "Elvis", the alligator/crocodile (can't remember which).

Very nice boat. I'd have to figure out a way to mount a bimini off the Safe-Tee-Top though. That would be cool.

I never received a manual for my 1994 either. If you get one, please let me know how I can do the same.

Thrall
10-27-2004, 11:25 AM
Nice looking boat! You'll be very happy w/ that one.
You can get a copy of the owners manual by emailing MC as stated above. I got a photocopy of one for my 96 this year that way.
Don't get worried about not having one though, because there is very little good technical info in them. They are 95%, "How to start your boat, What is this switch for?, How to pull it onto a trailer, etc."

sfitzgerald351
10-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Call up Discount Inboard Marine www.skidim.com and get all the manuals they have for your motor/tranny. Far more useful than the MC owners manual (which MC should be able to send you... they sent me one for my 1984 a couple of years back).

SD190EVO
10-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Very nice looking boat. I love the Safe-T-Tops! Looks like it is ready to pull for the Olympics...

Jerseydave
10-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Kyle,

Very nice boat. Does it have the LT1 engine?
I had a 1994 with the LT1 and powerslot trans.
I switched to a nibral 4 blade prop and it would pull like crazy.

Good luck with it. That year had one of the best slalom wakes.

River Rat
10-27-2004, 05:56 PM
You could get a radar on that "spoiler" wear a pink shirt, get a black guy as a passenger, and play "Miami Vice".....

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

AirJunky
10-27-2004, 06:17 PM
Naaaa, come on, it's a roll bar!! ;)

I understand there are more t-bar boats on Lake Sammamish per capita that just about anywhere. There has to be several dozen of them. My brother & a friend of ours had a couple of them on an '88 & a '96. Both got removed in favor of adding a tower.

dwe
10-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Mastercraft said they were out of manuals for my '95, but they were nice to photocopy an original and send it to me (about a month ago). The 2004 manual on this site is as good or better, and seems to encompass all the maintenance techniques you need to know. Also, go to indmar's website and download their engine/tranny manual for your particular engine. Nice boat!

kpickett
10-28-2004, 01:39 AM
Thanks for all the good words everyone. I had emailed Mastercraft about the manual, and they said they were out. I'll try them again and see if they might send me a photocopy.

It is a beautiful boat. Here's another view. I have to admit I took off the T-top today. I like how it looks, but it's just not very practical, since I'm only getting into 28 off.

I took it out on the water today, and I just love the handling and power. A strange thing happened, though. After about a half-hour of driving around, the temp shot up to 200. I shut it down immediately. We sat in the lake for around an hour. I started it up again, and the temp was back to 165 or so. We idled in, and the temp stayed low the whole time. I called my local dealer, and I'm taking the boat in tomorrow to have them look at it. That bothers me. The compression is still very good - nearly 200 on all cylinders, so I don't think there is any damage to the block or heads. Any thoughts?

Here's another view of the boat.

Kyle

ktn_cmu
10-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Sounds like a bad thermostat (got stuck closed???)

So..what are your plans for the t-top?????

east tx skier
10-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Check your impeller. Previous owner may have been lax about replacing it. For $28, I see no reason not to replace it every spring without fail.

When I said they ought to send you a manual earlier, I should've said photocopy. It wouldn't surprise me if they were out of new manuals.

NeilM
10-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Agree with the impeller. Sounds classic. Great looking boat & welcome aboard!

sfitzgerald351
10-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Check the impeller and also the screen in the tranny cooler (where the raw water enters the boat). Sometimes things will get stuck in there.

You could also have sucked a plastic bag or something against the intake grill on the bottom of the boat as well. Just turning it off will usually release it. But I'd guess you have a bad impeller.

captkidd
10-29-2004, 09:54 AM
Also pull the hose off the inlet side of the thing that sends water to the transmission cooler (it should be on the passenger side of the engine, down below the exhaust manifold). Sometimes mine has sucked up leaves and pine needles and the screen on the inlet side of that thing has gotten partially blocked.

east tx skier
10-29-2004, 02:29 PM
One last thing, if you check your impeller, and it's shredded (missing veins), start pulling hoses up the chain and back flush. All those little pieces of rubber tend to clog things up a bit.

dcrossnrinfinet
11-01-2004, 08:32 PM
I would be interested in getting one also. I also have a 1994 without a manual. I have emailed mc to try to get a copy.