PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump Replacement Questions

DrJ
07-04-2006, 05:21 PM
I know this topic has been talked about in several threads. But, I have a different problem. I just bought a 2004 X2. Love the boat but this past weekend I was ideling in a no wake zone and the engine just died. Got a tow back to my houseboat and called my closest MC dealer. The closest dealer to me is 8 hrs one way. They let me talk to a service tech and he walked me through all kinds do diagnostic questions and procedures. He told me that it seemed to be a fuel pump failure. So now I need a new one. He said they could not send me (the consumer) the pump because of safety issues. I think I could do the job easy enough. But where in the world can I get a pump. I dont have the time to tow my boat 8 hrs, stay while they install the new pump then tow back 8 hrs.
I think I need the following. Fuel pump, fuel filter and a new tank gasket. Is there anything else I am missing. And where in the world can I buy the parts.
Please HELP!!!!
Any suggestions are appreciated.

TMCNo1
07-04-2006, 05:47 PM
Check tomorrow morning first thing with Vince or Richard [Discount Inboard Marine, Chapin, SC] @ www.skidim.com or phone 1-803-342-0996, best to phone for a more immediate response, good luck. Funny your dealer would tell you that, as skidim as few issues with shipping [empty] fuel related parts.

rektek
07-05-2006, 12:15 AM
If it's not warranty replace it yourself and save the labor, it's not a hard job. :woohoo:

DrJ
07-05-2006, 01:40 PM
I checked out the web site. Does anyone know what type of pump it is, what it looks like. I have not removed the old one yet. I was waiting until I could get a hold of a new one.

vogelm1
07-05-2006, 10:51 PM
DrJ - check your email too...if you call Skidim and give them the year of your boat/engine type, they should be able to get you going with just that. Yes, to replace the pump, filter, and gasket isn't a bad job at all. Just be aware you're working with gas/fumes, and BE CAREFUL. You may need a special 'disconnect' tool to get the fuel line off the pump, but Skidim can help you with that too. Most automotive stores sell them too for cheap. Good luck!

DrJ
07-07-2006, 01:00 PM
I have not seen any pictures online showing the fuel pump inside the tank. Here are a few pictures that may help some other people. The boat is a 2004 X2 with predator engine. I took off all three fuel lines. You dont have to, but it makes removal much easier. For the two high pressure lines (orange) you will need to use a fuel line disconect tool. I also unpluged all of the surrounding wire connections. Again, dont have to but it sure makes it easier. Next, remove the 14 allen head screws that hold on the top plate. Then you just lift out the plate, pump and fuel filter as one piece. It's a really easy job. I finally found a MC dealer called Rambo Marine to send me the pump. It was spendy but still better than hauling the boat 8 hrs each way to my nearest dealer. I am attaching all of the pics from the job. Hope it helps someone else.
Pic1: top plate attached to tank
Pic2: Entire assembly removed
Pic3: picture of the actual pump inside the assembly

bigmac
07-07-2006, 01:07 PM
I have not seen any pictures online showing the fuel pump inside the tank. Here are a few pictures that may help some other people. The boat is a 2004 X2 with predator engine. I took off all three fuel lines. You dont have to, but it makes removal much easier. For the two high pressure lines (orange) you will need to use a fuel line disconect tool. I also unpluged all of the surrounding wire connections. Again, dont have to but it sure makes it easier. Next, remove the 14 allen head screws that hold on the top plate. Then you just lift out the plate, pump and fuel filter as one piece. It's a really easy job. I finally found a MC dealer called Rambo Marine to send me the pump. It was spendy but still better than hauling the boat 8 hrs each way to my nearest dealer. I am attaching all of the pics from the job. Hope it helps someone else.
Pic1: top plate attached to tank
Pic2: Entire assembly removed
Pic3: picture of the actual pump inside the assembly

Oops, we all forgot to recommend that you call Lex at Rambo. Great guy and well known for his helpfulness. Other good resources would be MYMC and Jim@BAWS, both here on TT.

Your boat is a 2004, should still be on warranty? Sorry you had to handle a warranty problem on your own dime.

Fuel pumps as implemented by MasterCraft in their later-model boats seem to be a rather weak link. Good idea - bad implementation, IMHO. I've already had my boat's fuel pump replaced once - in the (apparently likely) event I may have to do it myself, I'd be interested to see your pics, once you get them uploaded.

DrJ
07-07-2006, 01:38 PM
They are uploaded and ready to view. Had to make a few size changes. According to Mastercraft the fuel system is only a one year warranty. The drive system, engine and transmission is two or three years, dont remember which.

bigmac
07-07-2006, 02:00 PM
They are uploaded and ready to view. Had to make a few size changes. According to Mastercraft the fuel system is only a one year warranty. The drive system, engine and transmission is two or three years, dont remember which.

Ah...too bad you got caught in that trap. Judging from the number of fuel pump problems posted here on Team Talk, it's a well-known weak spot of MasterCraft boats.

What did Rambo Marine charge you for that pump?

DrJ
07-07-2006, 02:04 PM
It was about $550 for the whole assembly. That encludes the pump and filter all ready to go on. I will upload some pics that show the way it came to me from Rambo marine.

ntidsl
07-07-2006, 02:05 PM
let someone do it bud...trust me, been there done that...replaced my fuel pump under same conditions...or tried...it would have been an easy job if you could get the right parts at the right time...finally someone did it for me...and the fuel pump was only one issue...they actually found plastic ishavings in the tank, then found that none of that was probably the problem it was most likely a main wire that was sitting next to the engine mount that rubbed through the rubber and was grounding out all the computers, thus making it seem like it was the pump...then all the grounding and shocking and shorting screwed up the diagnostic checks and thenthe kill switch was bad, the PP shut down...etc...trust me i would have saved a week by not listeing to anyone who said...awww its easy just change it out...it still took a month to get everything right but it would have been only 3 weeks

bigmac
07-07-2006, 02:08 PM
let someone do it bud...trust me, been there done that...replaced my fuel pump under same conditions...or tried...it would have been an easy job if you could get the right parts at the right time...finally someone did it for me...and the fuel pump was only one issue...they actually found plastic ishavings in the tank, then found that none of that was probably the problem it was most likely a main wire that was sitting next to the engine mount that rubbed through the rubber and was grounding out all the computers, thus making it seem like it was the pump...then all the grounding and shocking and shorting screwed up the diagnostic checks and thenthe kill switch was bad, the PP shut down...etc...trust me i would have saved a week by not listeing to anyone who said...awww its easy just change it out...it still took a month to get everything right but it would have been only 3 weeks

Hmm...IIRC, your problems are the exception, bad fuel pumps tend to be the rule. ;)

ntidsl
07-07-2006, 02:11 PM
if you want to try it...remember to have a torque wrench set for inch lbs not foot lbs...check the fuel tank real good while you have it open...if I were you and was doing it myself i would take the whole tank out and drain it and clean it while the pump was out...it will eliminate any plastic shaving that may be in there, any water and any extra debris

and do it outside...gas will get to you...i think its funny that the filter which you are supposed to change yearly is in the tank...how dumb is that???

it is an easy job but like i said if you get the new pump and the whole pattern is off slightly you are screwed...it happened to me...i had the holes lined up at 12 oclock and off 1/8 inch at 6 oclock...

DrJ
07-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Hey Ntidsl, thanks for the advise. But like I said before my nearest dealer is 8 hrs one way. We get used to doing the work ourselves. I have had one GM mechanic and two different tech guys from MC talk me through some troubleshooting on the phone. Everyone agrees it's the pump. And if it's more than that I will do that work myself. I refuse to drive a total of 16 hrs + wait time for the dealer to try and figure it out. I think it will all work out. But thanks for the input. And I think Bigmac is right, your problem seems to be an exception.

bigmac
07-08-2006, 09:08 AM
According to Mastercraft the fuel system is only a one year warranty. The drive system, engine and transmission is two or three years, dont remember which.
Hmmm...I wonder...this is quoted from Indmar's web site... (http://www.indmar.com/engines/engine_detail.cfm?name=mas_57_MCX)

Offered as a power option in all 2006 MasterCraft Boat models, the custom Indmar inboard is privately labeled as MasterCraft Power’s 5.7L MCX. Like all Indmar engines, it carries a three-year factory-backed limited warranty that includes fuel and electrical systems… the industry’s finest.

billr
07-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Hmmm...I wonder...this is quoted from Indmar's web site... (http://www.indmar.com/engines/engine_detail.cfm?name=mas_57_MCX)
Are they refering to fuel and electrical systems directly attached to the engine??? Fuel pump being an external part??

bigmac
07-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Are they refering to fuel and electrical systems directly attached to the engine??? Fuel pump being an external part??

I dunno. It's true that there is only a one-year warranty on MasterCraft non-hull and non-powertrain items. I would certainly think that the fuel pump ought to be considered part of the fuel system, but IIUC, that fuel pump system was spec'd by MasterCraft, not Indmar.

DrJ
07-08-2006, 10:16 PM
I could not agree more. But according to the MC warranty guy I spoke with last week it's only good for one year on the pump. But I dont have months to argue with them. I need to get back on the water asap. I know you all will agree with that. So for now I will pay my $550 and be back on the water.