PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump Install

88inNH
07-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I removed a failed Attwood Guardian 500 bilge pump from my 88 Prostar. Also found the remnants of an earlier bilge pump (the base). The Attwood was beneath the round access panel (seems a bit high). The old base was a bit aft of the access panel in what feels like a formed recess that would be more at the level of the engine compartment.

Where is the original / intended location of the bilge pump? The aft location seems right, but a more difficult install. My impression of the previous owners is they went for "quick and easy" on the repairs they bothered to make.

BTW - I plan to grab an Attwood Sahara from Skidim. Had to grab an "emergency" bilge pump with separate float at Walmart when I put the boat in the lake and it was taking on a little water. I know the packing is leaking a bit at the drive shaft, but there's probably another source. Figured I'd tackle the pump first, start enjoying the boat and then track the leaks down one by one.

TMCNo1
07-04-2006, 09:46 AM
The location you described, in the round access hatch under the observer seat, behind the battery well is the std. factory location. Just clean out all the original base and remaining old parts and adhesive and install a new all-in-one [pump and float together] bilge pump. Tighten stuffing box and then look for additional leaks.