PDA

View Full Version : one helluva weekend...

blackbeauty02
07-04-2006, 01:25 AM
...so i've got great news. my boat is up and running! :woohoo: we got it running again and after three hours of playing it lost fire. we got it in and found we'd lost fire at the coil. i went and got a new coil at O'Reilly's and still not getting any fire. my friend toyed around with it and finally figured out it was the damn tachometer was shorting it out. we unhooked it and sure enough it fired up everytime. we go back out and play and go to the beach to drink. on our way back the wires in the back box where the reset switch is got caught to the exhaust and melted them through starting a small fire (which thinking about it later that night could have a been a very very bad situation. we got that out and luckily b/c of all the problems i've had lately had tools on hand. we cut and spliced them and taped them up and were good to go. we get back to our cove and start playing again when the starter goes out. it was one helluva day. went to O'Reilly's the next day and get a new starter. we start playing again and about halfway through the day the starter does the same thing. we get it pulled out and find that it had worn away at the flywheel which i'll have to replace. we thought it was the wrong starter but turned out someone put the wrong bold in or forgot a washer and it had it angled wrong. so we threw a couple of washers in it and it started fine and got us through the rest of the weekend. btw anyone know where to get a flywheel for my boat? I'll post up pictures of my weekend later when i get my camera back from my friend. i finally got to skurf behind my boat and after today I was riding behind it with no rope for about 10 minutes. i finally got to board behind my boat and actually use it for a whole day

kycat2007
07-04-2006, 01:49 AM
You have had some luck when it comes to getting that thing running correctly. I am glad you got to enjoy it this weekend. Hopefully you can use what you have learned as experience for future situations.

You may be able to help someone else in the future.

erkoehler
07-04-2006, 10:26 AM
We'll be waiting for those pictures :)

pilot02
07-04-2006, 11:39 AM
... went to O'Reilly's the next day and get a new starter.

I'm extremely sorry to hear about your troubles, but your about to have more or possibly far worse. It doesn't sound to me that you purchased a marine starter. Although both an automotive starter, alternator, solenoid etc. will bolt right on to your application, they are NOT spark shielded and present a potential explosion hazard in the confined area of the bilge.
Get your starter back if possible, and have it rebuilt by someone familiar with marine equip. or buy a marine unit. It's not worth the risk of safety to you, your family, and your friends.

SkiDog
07-04-2006, 11:45 AM
I'm extremely sorry to hear about your troubles, but your about to have more or possibly far worse. It doesn't sound to me that you purchased a marine starter. Although both an automotive starter, alternator, solenoid etc. will bolt right on to your application, they are NOT spark shielded and present a potential explosion hazard in the confined area of the bilge.
Get your starter back if possible, and have it rebuilt by someone familiar with marine equip. or buy a marine unit. It's not worth the risk of safety to you, your family, and your friends.
:eek:
If that starter is indeed an automotive starter, then
For GOd's sake, and the sake of EVERYBODY that rides in your boat, USE THE BLOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

jlf
07-05-2006, 08:29 AM
I can't believe how patcient this guy is, that boat would've been for sale long before this if is was mine. I am happy to hear you got to use it for the weekend and everyone is safe!! Let's hope once you get these last few issues cleaned up you'll have a great boat for the rest of summer.

sanjuan23
07-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Just my two cents but I would get that thing running enjoy the rest of the summer and start placing ads. But who knows you may have taken care of all of the Gremlins by that point.

G-man
07-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Change that starter out for a marine starter before you have nothing to start or worse, your not here to start anything.

Ric
07-05-2006, 10:35 AM
ditto on the starter (marine grade only) dont start that boat again til you do that

time to clean up all your wiring huh?

also, what motor do you have?

big block chevy's MUST have the third bracket that ties the rear of the starter to the block (and it is a good idea to go ahead and install the bracket on a small block too)

starter ring (flywheel) will be fun! you will need to remove the trans and I bet that a standard automotive starter ring is the same as our boats?????? if so, get one at a salvage yard.