PDA

View Full Version : Kite Tubes...Insurance

phecksel
07-03-2006, 11:43 PM
My new insurance policy, with progressive, specifically excludes kite tubes.

Maristar210
07-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Hit me with a hammer :eek:

Steve

phecksel
07-04-2006, 09:27 AM
OK
http://www.hecksel.com/images/House/hammer_anim.gifHit me with a hammer :eek:

Steve

JohnnyB
07-04-2006, 09:35 AM
I'd be afraid of insurance companies making stipulations like this.

Our other beloved watersports can be dangerous. Barefooting at 37-44mph and slicing across the center wake on a slalom (probably well in excee of 60mph on a hard edge) are dangerous as well and can/do lead to injuries.

Where does it stop when they start telling you that you can't do these things????

michael freeman
07-04-2006, 11:12 AM
I'd be afraid of insurance companies making stipulations like this.

Our other beloved watersports can be dangerous. Barefooting at 37-44mph and slicing across the center wake on a slalom (probably well in excee of 60mph on a hard edge) are dangerous as well and can/do lead to injuries.

Where does it stop when they start telling you that you can't do these things????

My guess is that they do not insure devices that are designed to fly. The kite tube is just one of many things they do not insure.

phecksel
07-04-2006, 04:11 PM
My guess is that they do not insure devices that are designed to fly. The kite tube is just one of many things they do not insure.
That is correct, parasail was also excluded. Saw a kite tube today, getting about 20' of air and rolling off and slamming into the water.

I rode one, it was fun, but tore up my lower back (car accident earlier this year), learned a lot about how people are getting hurt and killed on these things.

ndlare
07-05-2006, 07:40 AM
We had our Kite Tube out yesterday. Four different riders. One driver that slowed when the tube exceeded about 8 feet off the water. No crashes. Three smiling faces...and one pre-teen that was a little freaked out. Overall, I still think it can be operated safely. JMO

bigmac
07-05-2006, 08:03 AM
We had our Kite Tube out yesterday. Four different riders. One driver that slowed when the tube exceeded about 8 feet off the water. No crashes. Three smiling faces...and one pre-teen that was a little freaked out. Overall, I still think it can be operated safely. JMO

I agree, but I don't blame the insurance companies for wanting to exclude something where bad judgment can have such a high price. My boat insurance is with Progressive too.

We were out on the kite tube all weekend too. The thing is a blast.

jkski
07-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Got an email from a doctor friend of mine in Michigan over the weekend telling me about a trauma case that came into their ER on Saturday/Sunday where a kid fell off a kite tube from about 25 feet up and tore his aorta. My friend said that they had a hard time keeping him alive through the night..scary stuff.

bigmac
07-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Got an email from a doctor friend of mine in Michigan over the weekend telling me about a trauma case that came into their ER on Saturday/Sunday where a kid fell off a kite tube from about 25 feet up and tore his aorta. My friend said that they had a hard time keeping him alive through the night..scary stuff.Torn aorta is a classic deceleration injury from hitting the water at a steep angle...same thing happened to a kid on a kite tube on a lake about 20 miles south of here. He also broke his leg. He survived, though.

jkski
07-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Hopefully this kid will be OK. I'm sure the tubes are safe when operated properly, as are most things, but things happen. I wonder how long it will take for lakes to start banning these because of some of these types of accidents.

bigmac
07-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Hopefully this kid will be OK. I'm sure the tubes are safe when operated properly, as are most things, but things happen. I wonder how long it will take for lakes to start banning these because of some of these types of accidents.

I can see some private lakes doing that, but there are darn few of those in Minnesota. Virtually all (natural) lakes bigger than about 150 acres are controlled by the state. I suppose it could happen, but I suspect that actual government regulation of what towable devices are allowed on public lakes would not be very likely in Minnesota. It would be kind of a political hot potato around here.

rodltg2
07-05-2006, 10:34 AM
so i finally saw one of these things, this time the real deal, a kite tube..
i was sitting having lunch at the riverboat and a guy ion one thise goes by , goes uop in the air about 15 feet and slammed into the water. needless to say that was his last run... i guess no serious injury since they loaded up another rider..

planoboy
07-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Toolman,
Army Corps bans kite tubing, Arkansas / Missouri, link....
http://www.kten.com/Global/story.asp?S=5099178

stevo137
07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure I'm for banning these although I personally would not have anything to do with them.
If someone wants to use these knowing the risks envolved, why not?

X-45
07-05-2006, 01:30 PM

Shhhhhhhhh!! they might hear you.

Davo
07-05-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm not sure I'm for banning these although I personally would not have anything to do with them.
If someone wants to use these knowing the risks envolved, why not?

My thoughts exactly. Motorcycles are dangerous too, if ridden carelessly.

I saw one for the first time yesterday at a friends house. They flew it like 10-15 feet max before slowing the boat. They still took some pretty good spills, but no big freefalls. You really have to trust the driver to be extremely attentive and cautious. That said, I have a hard time trusting someone to safely pull me on that thing - so no thanks! lol

I could see inexperienced and younger operators getting hurt on this thing very easily if they're not careful. In particular, parents should pay attention to what their kids are doing behind the boat without their supervision. All of the different tow sports can be dangerous, but this thing can get sketchy QUICK.

bcampbe7
07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
I was at my local dealer about a week ago and he had some of the Wego kite tubes for sale.
He said that he has sold nearly a dozen of them! :eek:

To each his own.

Davo
07-05-2006, 02:48 PM
I just realized - it wasn't a Wego Kite Tube that they were on yesterday...it was the Sevylor Manta Ray.

mpmartin
07-05-2006, 07:26 PM
The bad thing is that it will be the under 20 crowd who will lose there lives. And that is the sad thing. And that is why I think that at very least we need to look real hard at these things. Or we could let the lawers take over untill no one will make them.

michael freeman
07-05-2006, 08:18 PM
The bad thing is that it will be the under 20 crowd who will lose there lives. And that is the sad thing. And that is why I think that at very least we need to look real hard at these things. Or we could let the lawers take over untill no one will make them.

Don't cut us thirty somethings short. :dance:

mpmartin
07-05-2006, 08:59 PM
Over thirty then you become a organ doner.

Davo
07-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Although I haven't seen the Kite Tube in person, the Manta Ray's design appears to be better and provide a more stable flight.

atlfootr
07-06-2006, 09:09 AM
My guess is that they do not insure devices that are designed to fly.
The kite tube is just one of many things they do not insure.The mere name alone, "kite tube" should indicate it to be more than just your regular Joe kinda "tube".

WTRSK1R
07-06-2006, 11:57 AM
This is from the Milwaukee Journal from June 27th. The man was in Northern Wisconsin when the fall occurred, but was from the local area.

St. Germain - A Delafield man was fatally injured in an accident while being towed on an inflatable tube kite on Little St. Germain Lake, authorities said Tuesday.

The man sailed several feet into the air, then hit the water, suffering fatal head and chest injuries, officials said.

He struck the water around 8 p.m. Monday and died five hours later at a hospital, officials said. It appeared that he hit only the water, conservation warden Mike Sealander said.

The Vilas County Sheriff's Department identified the victim Tuesday as Gregory Bykowski, 42, of Delafield. He was riding on a tube kite, which is an inflatable platform towed by a boat. It skims across the water and can become airborne.

An autopsy was planned.

I do not have any details on boat speed, wind speed or other factors.

Maristar210
07-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Lots for sale on e-Bay that are slightly used or used once. Makes you wonder. I am guessing some people bought them for thier kids and now realize what they entail.

Steve

hleepert
07-06-2006, 12:24 PM
JKSKI Sounds like the accident that happened on our lake two or three weeks ago. I know life flight came to pick up the kid and I heard that it was a torn aorta and I wondered how it happened. If its the same people their boat is no longer on the lift and I haven't seen any activity at the house at all since the accident. Drivers just need to understand how much control they have over thier riders. I stopped pulling hard core tubers because I spun one of my friends off and he ruptured his eardrum from smacking the water too hard.

Got an email from a doctor friend of mine in Michigan over the weekend telling me about a trauma case that came into their ER on Saturday/Sunday where a kid fell off a kite tube from about 25 feet up and tore his aorta. My friend said that they had a hard time keeping him alive through the night..scary stuff.

atlfootr
07-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Lots for sale on e-Bay that are slightly used or used once. Makes you wonder. I am guessing some people bought them for thier kids and now realize what they entail.
SteveFound 57 items, WEGO KITES on Ebay ....