PDA

View Full Version : Looking to improve my slalom turning...

MCX2RYD
07-03-2006, 11:30 PM
Okay so this year I purchased a new boat and well with the new boat came a new ski as well. 05' System 8 with double 06' Approach. I usually ride @ 32-34 MPH @ 28' Off. I ride RFF.

My problem is.... On my left turns the rope is getting waaaaay slacked.. and most times I can hold on.. but god its killing me. I need to find a technique on what to do? I have been skiing for 12 years and have never occured this problem.

Any suggestions would be great!!

Brent
07-04-2006, 06:47 AM
It sounds like you are pulling after the wake. That creates slake as soon as you turn. The Idea is to pull in the wakes & change edge as soon as you cross the second wake & glide until the skis starts to decelerate & then start your turn . The width is created by the pull behind the boat.

6ballsisall
07-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Some pics or video clips would be very helpful.

As Brent said above, are you pulling after the 2nd wake?

Edit: I see you are on a new ski and you didn't have this problem before. Have you tuned the ski i.e: fin & binding placement?

Jorski
07-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Get someone (like a coach/instructor) to help you set up the ski. Although technique is always more important, you can overcomplicate things (and create some bad habits) if the ski is not set up correctly. I would start by trying the front boot forward one hole.

If you are happy wioth your onside turn, leave the back boot where it is for now. Once you have the binding location dialed in, fine tune with fin adjustment.

JohnnyB
07-04-2006, 09:29 AM
I would agree with the others that you are probably still pulling after the wake....I tend to do this on my off side to as I can't set as good of a cut coming across on my weak side. Keep the handle at your hip as you cross, when you change edges stay outward bound as much as possible and let the boat pull your arms away from your body as you continue outward. Then, when you turn, drive the handle back to your hip.....

You'd of just gotten a kick out of me going through the motions of the lean and arm extensions sittin in my chair here.... :D

Hoosier Bob
07-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Shoot a video of yourself and if all appears symetrical left and right go to the fin. Rule of thumb I believe is bad on both sides=binding adjustment and bad on one side=fin adjustment. Carefully measure length, depth, depth angle and front to back position of your fin now so you can go back in the event of a misadjustment. Too much turn on your bad side can create slack. Fin back a touch (and I mean a touch)and up a touch in the front may help widen the turn and eliminate slack. There are some great articles on tuning on the net. It has helped me with my ski's a ton. :D
As JB said form first so take the video! Fix yourself then go to the ski!

Jorski
07-04-2006, 11:43 AM
[QUOTE=Hoosier Bob] Rule of thumb I believe is bad on both sides=binding adjustment and bad on one side=fin adjustment. QUOTE]

A number of people out there, including Schnitz, believe that front foot controls off-side turn, and back foot controls on-side turn and that they should be set up independent of on another.

schnitz skis (http://www.schnitzskis.com)

Hoosier Bob
07-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Amazing at how things are different to some. I use much more front foot on my strong and much more back foot on my weak! I am also Goofy feet and hands! I think I may me the anti to all that is right! I have also been more of a fight through it type of skier rather than a skier that relies on his or her skills. I will say that my rear binding has the heel in but front is nuetral. Best changes so far have been fin for my offside. If I am out of position/form it doesn't matter how the ski is set up! :D [QUOTE=Hoosier Bob] Rule of thumb I believe is bad on both sides=binding adjustment and bad on one side=fin adjustment. QUOTE]

A number of people out there, including Schnitz, believe that front foot controls off-side turn, and back foot controls on-side turn and that they should be set up independent of on another.

schnitz skis (http://www.schnitzskis.com)

kpickett
07-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Are you skiing in the course or free skiing? Either way, you might want to lengthen the rope to 15 off to work this out. It could be ski setup, but I agree with the above posts that you're probably pulling beyond the wake and coming into the turn way too fast. At shorter line lengths things happen really fast and you have to start your edge change early - like between the wakes. 15 off is a little more forgiving, and you can work on not pulling too far.

MCX2RYD
07-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys.. I will try it out when I get my boat back in a couple weeks.. Goin on a holiday across the country!

I will also post a video if it still doesn't work out. I also plan on getting a lesson when in the Shuswap houseboating later this month!

Peace