PDA

View Full Version : Did I get ebay scammed??????

Workin' 4 Toys
07-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Here is the message sent via email directly after the item I bid on closed, it was NOT addressed to my name, but to my email address....
Subject: eBay Second Chance Offer for Item #************** :
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006
Hello there,
You expressed interest in an item titled (************) Item number:#************* by bidding , the seller has issued this Second Chance Offer because either the winning bidder was unable to complete the transaction or the seller has duplicate items for sale.In compliance with eBay policy, the seller is making this Second Chance Offer to you at your bid price.If you accept this offer, you will be able to exchange Feedback with the seller and will be eligible for eBay services associated with a transaction,such as fraud protection.To purchase this item, contact the seller at this e-mail: ********@****.com (********@****.com). To learn more about Second Chance Offer go to: http://pages.ebay.com

billr
07-03-2006, 03:57 PM
I've had this happen to me twice before. The winning bidder did not complete transaction for whatever reason. I was offered a "second chance" to buy at the last bid I had made. You can go back to that item, and e-mail seller by the link that is listed. (ask seller a question) If you don't want the item, don't respond.

Hoosier Bob
07-03-2006, 04:18 PM
I have done it and actually a lot of what I purchase are items that have not met the reserve. I do it all through EBAY and PayPal not my personal email. Direct any questions through the ask seller link and when you receive the reply it should appear as though it and the link were via EBAY. Be leary always!Here is the message sent via email directly after the item I bid on closed, it was NOT addressed to my name, but to my email address....

Workin' 4 Toys
07-03-2006, 07:40 PM
I do want it, and I know 100% for sure they don't have 2 of the item.
I don't recall if there was a reserve or not.
So if I go back and give a second chance offer, that has to meet the reserve too if there was one, or is this person now selling below the reserve?

RackAtak
07-03-2006, 08:03 PM
I believe a second chance offer will be "private" between you and the seller. No other bidders. E-mail the seller through the item listing on e-bay and see what he has in mind as to a selling price. Here is a helpful link that explains how to contact the seller http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/questions/second-chance-legit.html

bcampbe7
07-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Apparently this is a "new" eBay scam:

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22732

New scam on ebay has come to light on a recent auction I had.

Several bidders received emails stating that they where the highest bidders and that I had extended a second chance offer on the item. A second chance allows them to purchase said item at the highest bid the individual placed. When they clicked on the link in the email it took them to a clone of my item complete with an ebay buy it now option. I followed the links and could have paid someone pretending to be me 2800.00. The page looked just like my auction, and the address showed ebay, until one clicked on the buy it now option which went to another site.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=110002977641&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT

I am sure some unsuspecting people could fall for this. Can't begin to imagine what type of hassle this would create for a seller.

east tx skier
07-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Good info, Beau. W4T, I thought you were very much against ebay? Must have been a hard-to-find item to draw you in.

WTRSK1R
07-07-2006, 12:43 PM
I would not expect a Second Chance offer to arrive immediately after the auction closed. While this is a valid eBay tool, it is typically used if the actual buyer does not come through for some reason. I would expect most sellers to give the buyer at least a couple of days to make payment before they would use the second chance option. :twocents:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Must have been a hard-to-find item to draw you in.
If you only knew.....;) hard to find is an understatement...

Workin' 4 Toys
07-07-2006, 11:56 PM
I would not expect a Second Chance offer to arrive immediately after the auction closed. While this is a valid eBay tool, it is typically used if the actual buyer does not come through for some reason. I would expect most sellers to give the buyer at least a couple of days to make payment before they would use the second chance option. :twocents:
I was told by a friend today, he had a car listed, it sold, the buyer started a bunch of BS with him at auction end. So he was given the option by ebay to give second chance offers to any "selected" previous bidder. So as it turns out, that second chance offer is legit, I guess I just have to make note of who I am contacting and what links to click to get there.

I wish I would have had this info a week ago...:(