PDA

View Full Version : Warm up problem

boyd
07-03-2006, 12:54 PM
I have a 91 190 and am having this problem... the boat starts fine, I let it warmup for about one minute. When I put it in gear to get off the trailer it dies. It sounds like it's bogging down. THis will happen on the average 3x before she will get off the trailer. Once she is driven it will not happen again for the rest of the day. Only at cold start up.

Thanks,
BOYD

rektek
07-03-2006, 11:43 PM
sounds like your fast idle and or choke are coming off too early or not working at all.

what's your idle speed at first startup ? does it come off of fast idle right away ?

Jeff :cool:

boyd
07-04-2006, 12:58 AM
about 700. It doesn't idle up fast at start up. Is it supposed to?
I usually don't have to choke it. I just give it a little gas and it starts right up. Should I choke it. Another thing is about 50% of the time I have to give the boat a little gas to get it to start. THis is later in the day when the boat is already been ran is very warmed up. Is this normal or should it restart right up with out any extra throttle.?

123src
07-04-2006, 02:58 AM
For what it's worth, my 92 205 needs a good 4-5 minutes to warm up at the boat ramp. After that, it is fine all day. The guys at my local dealer told me the boat was fine and this was nothing to be worried about. I don't even try to back off the trailer. I just float her off and tie to the dock for the warm up period.

rektek
07-04-2006, 08:03 AM
boyd,
are you saying you have a manual choke for your boat ? 700 rpm is low for a fast idle.
all engines need to run a little richer when cold, the warmer the climate the less choke time needed.

you'll have to pump the accel a few times to start a boat with a carb.

TMCNo1
07-04-2006, 09:29 AM
That's just the nature of a carbed beast. Pump throttle 1 or more times to wot to set choke and to prime, back to just above idle setting and once started and off the trailer, place throttle in neutral, pull the neutral safety switch in throttle and increase idle to around 1000 to 1500 rpm max for a 3 or 4 minutes and all will be fine. It just has to warm up and 1 minute is way too short of a period to allow it to warm up.

JohnnyB
07-04-2006, 10:32 AM
On my 92, I had standard procedure for starting.

Pump 3x, set the choke (pump all the way to full throttle and then back to neutral). Start it. Let it warm up to about 130-140 degrees before backing off the trailer (normal operating temp on mine was a solid 160). Usually took 2-3 minutes but ran fine after that.

Idle should be set at 600rpm.

phecksel
07-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Do you have an electronic ignition? After I put one in my 87 tri-star, it never stalled again after first starting.

boyd
07-04-2006, 07:05 PM
No elec. ignition. Sounds like to me after reading many of the posts that I need to let it warm up a little longer. IT's just with my other boat
"ski brendella" I never had to do that. I"m sure if I wait 3-4 minutes or let the temp get to normal oper. temp. it will do fine. 165 deg. is what mine runs. I just bought this mastercraft and like it alot. THese things sure were built for the long haul. I've had my brendella for 4 years.
I came across a guy who needed some $ and he also happened to have this boat so I bought it cheap and love it. Wanna buy a brendella?

Kevin 89MC
07-05-2006, 11:35 AM
Just to add my experience, if I drive off the trailer in less than 1 minute, I'll have to give it some gas to keep from stalling as well. It appears that while these older boats have electric chokes, they have no means of creating a fast idle speed, other than manually. Once in a while I'll have to give it some gas for a warm start as well.
Kevin

east tx skier
07-05-2006, 12:21 PM
I have to wait about 3 minutes or so in March, but by summertime, I probably don't wait more than 15 seconds on the trailer before I can idle around. I don't know if it's the newer carb or the electronic ignition, but just figured I'd throw that out there as a basis for comparison.

Hunterb
07-05-2006, 03:57 PM
If you have a 4160 carb then you should have an electric choke that simply closes the choke butterfly when the engine is cold. In fact, the choke does not sense the engine temperature, it has an internal heating element that starts heating up immediately when the key is turned on and gradually closes the butterfly valve whether the motor is running or not. It would be very unusual for there to be a 'fast idle' mechanism on the carb so pumping the throttle does not set the choke, it squirts fuel into the intake.

Holley does not put fast idle mechanisms on marine carbs as a rule. I called Holley about this when I renewed my carb last year and they explained that because boats have a sticky throttle you can just give it a little gas, in neutral when cold, until it warms up. They feel that having a high rev feature would result in boats crashing into docks/trailers etc.

Not sure if any of that helps. Good luck with the boat.

Bruce

Kevin 89MC
07-06-2006, 11:15 AM
If you have a 4160 carb then you should have an electric choke that simply closes the choke butterfly when the engine is cold. In fact, the choke does not sense the engine temperature, it has an internal heating element that starts heating up immediately when the key is turned on and gradually closes the butterfly valve whether the motor is running or not. It would be very unusual for there to be a 'fast idle' mechanism on the carb so pumping the throttle does not set the choke, it squirts fuel into the intake.

Holley does not put fast idle mechanisms on marine carbs as a rule. I called Holley about this when I renewed my carb last year and they explained that because boats have a sticky throttle you can just give it a little gas, in neutral when cold, until it warms up. They feel that having a high rev feature would result in boats crashing into docks/trailers etc.

Not sure if any of that helps. Good luck with the boat.

Bruce

That sure helped answer some questions I had . . . thanks.