PDA

View Full Version : My ramp episode…

bcampbe7
07-03-2006, 10:01 AM
My wife and I decided to go to the lake yesterday evening. We went to a ramp that we have never used before so that we could meet up with some friends at their house.
This ramp happens to be a quite-a-bit steeper than our usual ramp so I was a little apprehensive.
When we pulled up there was a guy in a 2 wheel drive truck trying to pull his fishing boat out. He was going nowhere. Tire smoke everywhere. There were a few people standing on the dock just watching the guy. He was by himself so I offered to help. He and I got his truck off the ramp and now if was my turn to put in. I started backing down the ramp and had my foot on the brakes so as to ease the boat into the water. As I was turning to get lined-up the truck started sliding! Talk about pucker factor! I grabbed an a$$ full of leather there! :eek3: :eek:
Luckily the truck stopped before jackknifing too far and I pulled forward and went to the other side of the ramp.
Needless to say, we will not be using that ramp again.

6ballsisall
07-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Wo!!! Did you have to change your swimsuit after that!!?? Glad it turned out ok Beau! :eek:

bigmac
07-03-2006, 10:06 AM
...As I was turning to get lined-up the truck started sliding! Talk about pucker factor! I grabbed an a$$ full of leather there! :eek3: :eek:

Now there is a visual.. :D

jlf
07-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Sometimes it makes you wonder what sort of person actually thinks this is good idea, my bet is they have never had to load or unload any sort of boat in their lives!

bcampbe7
07-03-2006, 10:19 AM
Wo!!! Did you have to change your swimsuit after that!!?? Glad it turned out ok Beau! :eek:

:uglyhamme
No, but I did have the shaky feeling you get when you almost have a wreck or something.
The adrenaline was pumpin'!

wakebroad
07-03-2006, 10:43 AM
That happened a few times to us in our old truck. Never happened again after we got the 4x4. My husband says it's well worth it. We haven't spun once since we got it. Do you have 4 wheel drive???

bcampbe7
07-03-2006, 10:48 AM
That happened a few times to us in our old truck. Never happened again after we got the 4x4. My husband says it's well worth it. We haven't spun once since we got it. Do you have 4 wheel drive???

I do have 4 wheel drive...
I slide backing down the ramp. ABS kicked on and everything stopped (luckily).

Pulling the boat out was no problem. ;)

ski_king
07-03-2006, 11:22 AM
I can relate. My ramp is steep and the main part consists of 2 concrete strips about 2 ft. wide for the tires with river gravel beside and between the strips. Any alignment as you are backing down and the front tires are off the concrete on the small round river gravel, which gives you quite a ride until you get the front tires back on the concrete.

André
07-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Talk about pucker factor! I grabbed an a$$ full of leather there! :eek3: :eek:
UMP pants? :eek:
Glad everything was OK...

bcampbe7
07-03-2006, 12:44 PM
UMP pants? :eek:
Glad everything was OK...

:uglyhamme :uglyhamme

No, I don't own leather pants.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-03-2006, 01:30 PM
I grabbed an a$$ full of leather there! Listen Beau, what you do with Hoosier Bob's sheep on your own time is YOUR business, you dont need to be bringing it on this boating forum. I mean your a moderator for God's sake. you should know better than that! :eek:

;)

TMCNo1
07-03-2006, 02:09 PM
No, I don't own leather pants.

OK then, leather board shorts! :steering: :firejump:

That would be scarey, bet you did made them cow skins scream! :jumping:

BriEOD
07-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I hope Wendy was out of the Land Rover during all of this. Otherwise, she might have had the baby right there!!! Glad things turned out ok my friend.

Mag_Red
07-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Hey Beau, is it steeper than the ramp at my marina??? Had that happen with my old Ford truck years ago..........not a good feeling. Glad everything turned out OK. :cool:

bcampbe7
07-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Hey Beau, is it steeper than the ramp at my marina??? Had that happen with my old Ford truck years ago..........not a good feeling. Glad everything turned out OK. :cool:

No, not the road going down to the ramp, but it is steeper than the actual ramp at Lees Ford. :eek:

jimmer2880
07-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Speaking from experience of backing 9,000 lb docks down the ramp, when you start to back down, apply your emergency brake until it's firm. Not 100%, but close to it. The problem most have is that the front wheels start to slide (by by steering), but the rear's aren't holding much.

placing it in 4wd will also help, but I like using the e-brake, as it holds on both rear wheels opposed to only 1 of them in 4wd.

I started doing this after sliding my lift dock 1/2 way down the ramp :eek:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-05-2006, 11:03 AM
This is the main reason I believe in 4WD, not that its needed if ever, but when you do need it, YOU REALLY need it. Especially on slick wet ramps you are not used to.
Similar thing happened to us just yesterday, new ramp, even in 4WD it was slick. Without it.............:eek: I don't want to think about it.

Crash
07-05-2006, 11:35 AM
That's an awful feeling of helplessness that's like in slow motion.

On Friday I replaced my 2wd Tahoe for a 4wd Tahoe. What a significant difference! Only had 1 scary incident as bcamp described, but pulling the baby out of the water was sooo much easier with 4wd! I strongly recommend 4wd to all my boating friends.