PDA

View Full Version : Rudder offset about 1" to port on 90 PS190?

wildbill
07-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Hey guys, fill me in on why the rudder is offset about 1-1/2" to port from the centerline of the shaft on my 1990 ProStar 190(appears to be factory-no prior damage). Could this be an engineeered attempt to somewhat counteract the "port-drift" while backing? My 1985 "Stars & Stripes" 19 has the rudder perfectly inline with the shaft. Why the design change? My 85 was purchased from "Bouy-Chaser" last month and is such a NICE boat.

Dan K
07-03-2006, 07:25 AM
The one reason I know is to allow for easier removal of the drive shaft. Earlier models required remoavl of the rudder to accomplish this task.

Tom023
07-03-2006, 09:24 AM
I don't know if this is true but I heard that it puts the rudder in a better position in the prop wash than directly behind the prop, which has a "dead" spot.

MarkP
07-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Makes it easer/possible to dip it in the pitcher when making frozen Margaritas (personally I prefer “on the rocks”)

Oh, as well as allowing the shaft removal thing..

pilot02
07-03-2006, 10:31 AM
I don't know if this is true but I heard that it puts the rudder in a better position in the prop wash than directly behind the prop, which has a "dead" spot.

Not exactly the "theoretical" reason, but cover's the bases. The prop creates a "pocket" of air around it's center (essentially cavitation) and the rudder is offset to get it outside of this area where it will be more effective..

TMCNo1
07-03-2006, 11:59 AM
All of the above!

SkiDog
07-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Harold, how much would it cost me for you & UMP to come down here & help me change out my rudder? :D I could pay ya'll with :headbang: some videos!

TMCNo1
07-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Harold, how much would it cost me for you & UMP to come down here & help me change out my rudder? :D I could pay ya'll with :headbang: some videos!

If you have to ask, you can't afford us!
As SuperHero's we only react to people in distress, not under arrest! Cause, if the 3 of us would ever meet up, somebody will be jailed! :eek:

Brent
07-03-2006, 02:01 PM
I always thought it was to counter the rotation of the prop , Prop has a tendancy to make you turn one way & having the rudder off center counters that tendancy. I could be wrong , just what I assumed or was told a long time ago. :)

SkiDog
07-03-2006, 02:06 PM
If you have to ask, you can't afford us!
As SuperHero's we only react to people in distress, not under arrest! Cause, if the 3 of us would ever meet up, somebody will be jailed! :eek:

Yea, that might just happen! However, As I have tried to teach you in the past, Its not WHAT you know, but WHO you know. If'n we was to get thrown into the gray bar motel here in BWK, then we gots NO problem, as the high sheriff is a CLOSE friend of mine! He's got me out of more crap than Carters got them little pills! :D As a matter of fact, the local traffic court Judge told him he didn't wanna see that Wildsmith name ANY more for a long time! :eek: Now, that might be bad! As far as the rudder goes( back on track), ya'll just come on down to So. GA. for about a long weekend, and lets see just what we can git into! :toast:

TMCNo1
07-03-2006, 02:21 PM
We all need to plan on getting together at the reunion in Vonore next year. UMP from the North, Skidog from the South, No1 from the East! Does anyone from the West and Central US want to take a chance on getting some REAL NONSENSE going for a few days? :friday: :toast: :guitar:
Here we go thread jacking again!

Nevermind!
We can change out your 1' offset rudder then!
Did I get us back on track with that?

SkiDog
07-04-2006, 11:59 AM
We all need to plan on getting together at the reunion in Vonore next year. UMP from the North, Skidog from the South, No1 from the East! Does anyone from the West and Central US want to take a chance on getting some REAL NONSENSE going for a few days? :friday: :toast: :guitar:
Here we go thread jacking again!

Nevermind!
We can change out your 1' offset rudder then!
Did I get us back on track with that?

If Dog drives all the way up there and I haven't changed out that damn rudder by then, then you can bet your a$$ that we'll be a changing it there! BTW, Wakebroad needs to be the rep. from the west! We need her talents in the body shot department! We won't accept ANY subsitutes! :woohoo:

TMCNo1
07-04-2006, 12:23 PM
If Dog drives all the way up there and I haven't changed out that damn rudder by then, then you can bet your a$$ that we'll be a changing it there! BTW, Wakebroad needs to be the rep. from the west! We need her talents in the body shot department! We won't accept ANY subsitutes! :woohoo:

You will never do, Skidog, You will never do!

Son, you are a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!Keep up the good work!

SkiDog
07-04-2006, 12:29 PM
You will never do, Skidog, You will never do!

Son, you are a mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!Keep up the good work!

Now, I'm SURE that you have been keeping up with the PArty Pics tread!, So can't I conclude that you agree that she should be our Western rep.? :D

TMCNo1
07-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Now, I'm SURE that you have been keeping up with the PArty Pics tread!, So can't I conclude that you agree that she should be our Western rep.? :D

I quietly go to the thread and observe and then leave, scares me!

We will need some diversity on you rudder swap-out!
I vote YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
Our son-in-law may be there to assist, but only as the "Director of Equality Opportunity Observation", "ADA" Coodinator, "Quality Control Manager" and CDC [chief diaper changer], because of the diverse collection of retards doing such a job on your boat!

SkiDog
07-04-2006, 01:05 PM
I quietly go to the thread and observe and then leave, scares me!

We will need some diversity on you rudder swap-out!
I vote YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
Our son-in-law may be there to assist, but only as the "Director of Equality Opportunity Observation", "ADA" Coodinator, "Quality Control Manager" and CDC [chief diaper changer], because of the diverse collection of retards doing such a job on your boat!

We might could make him in charge of all subcontractors on the Museum project too. Hows he at getting the beer for the project manager?!?!?

SkiDog
07-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Gotta go! Dog's going foiling! :friday: :woohoo:

TMCNo1
07-04-2006, 01:22 PM
We might could make him in charge of all subcontractors on the Museum project too. Hows he at getting the beer for the project manager?!?!?

All I know is he comes to our house and drinks our beer, what does that tell you? I better not go there!

Goin' foilin'? Yea, me too, about 6:30 the potatos, onions, butter and seasonings are going foiling on the grill, then [2] 16 oz. ribeyes that have been marinating since last night with my special rub and Italian dressing will hit the grill for a serious suntan!

SkiDog
07-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Not quite the kinda foiling I had in mind, but it will certainly do!

SkiDog
07-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Not quite the kinda foiling I had in mind, but it will certainly do!

Damn, I tread jacked myself!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Did someone mention threadjack? :) I dont want to get into any "grey bars" or near any close sherriff's there ski dog 8p you go on with your bad self! I dont see this as good for the UMP. We will all end up in jail if we get near any alcohol. I dont drink, cuz I can get really goofy when drinking. Im not an drunk or anything, I dont drink cuz of the weight reasons, but when I did, I always found fun to get into.

Plus, You cuys aint herd me on da phone yet.I talk funny. You probably dont wanna be in public with me the way I talk. :D

billr
07-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Starkle starkle little twink , Who the hell you are I think , I'm not as drunk as some thinkle peep I am , Besides I've got all day sober to Sunday up in..

TMCNo1
07-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Starkle starkle little twink , Who the hell you are I think , I'm not as drunk as some thinkle peep I am , Besides I've got all day sober to Sunday up in..

Whut he said? :eek:
Yep sir mr. ossifer, ya want my ricence and legistration! 8p

SkiDog
07-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Whut he said? :eek:
Yep sir mr. ossifer, ya want my ricence and legistration! 8p

Does all this here a drinking have anythang to do with my dang rudder shaft hole?!?!?!?!!? :friday: