PDA

View Full Version : Fixed my transmission leak to save my vacation

Dan K
07-03-2006, 06:10 AM
We started our long awaited vacation at the cottage and were all set for a good 10 days of family ski time only to find I was putting about a quart of trans fluid in the bildge every 10 minutes. I thought for sure the week would be ruined or I was gonna be buying more trans fluid than gas just to keep her going or worst yet, I would be spending the vacation pulling the transmission out for another rebuild.

After cleaning everything up I pulled the motor cover and watched the trans as my daughter drove the boat. I was able to spot the leak at the shift connection. I was able to disconnect the shift linkage, pull out the shift valve and head off to the auto parts store. We were able to match up the failed O-ring and 33 cents later I was back in business. 2 hours of down time total and the family thought I was a hero. :dance:

Could help but wonder how much time and money this would have cost at the dealership.

Sorry for the double thread, not sure what I did.

André
07-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Good work there Dan!!!
You DID save the vacations!No boat for 10 days would have been bad,real bad!

Kevin 89MC
07-05-2006, 11:57 AM
I can tell you you saved a fair amount. That exact problem occured on my boat the 2nd year of ownership - trans sounded like it was "slipping". Didn't know a thing about boats, no "Team Talk" help, so I took it to the dealer. I lost enough fluid to cause the clutch packs to warp. IIRC the bill was ~$200-$300 for new o-ring, clutch packs, fluid & labor.