PDA

View Full Version : breakage, fun is done

alecams
07-02-2006, 09:10 PM
so i here a bang. stop the boat dive under and this is what i see. 4th july fun is done, i hope it rains.
I never would have imagined such a thing could break...... anyone else?

bigmac
07-02-2006, 09:34 PM
so i here a bang. stop the boat dive under and this is what i see. 4th july fun is done, i hope it rains.

Man, I'm sorry to see that.

I have some questions...
Did you hit something?
Is that shaft stainless steel?
Was the prop damaged, assuming it hit the rudder.

Maybe all is not lost if you can find a mastercraft dealer with that shaft in stock - I'm thinking the change-out wouldn't be that bad, assuming no other collateral damage.

Hoosier Bob
07-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Pull that baby and measure it! Send me size and I have a spare from my 93 you can borrow until you replace! Northern MI is a ways but maybe we can figure something out! 4th is for boats! :D

TMCNo1
07-02-2006, 10:58 PM

WoooooooooooooooooW WTH happened!

Dan K
07-02-2006, 11:04 PM
Call watersports marine in Waterford or Fenton, they will likely have it. It is not that hard to change out. You can be back out on the water in no time.

Dan K
07-02-2006, 11:08 PM
From the looks of the two halves you may have had an alignment problem to begin with, they do not appear to easily fit back together. This would have stressed the shaft to the point of eventual failure.

JimN
07-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Dan- when the rear of the prop shaft is backed off that much, it will always drop down due to gravity. The real test will be when the new shaft goes in and it can be seen whether the strut is way off or not.

oldschool84
07-02-2006, 11:26 PM
We were in deep water barefooting of the boom. Hit nothing, just snaped clean on the take off. no apparent damage to prop or rudder, the driver was smart enough to back off the instant it broke. Yes i see an alignment problem but there is some play in the stand off that would show that so i don't think that was it. i assume that after 26 year of torque the spot weakend and broke. i will say though that last year i skimmed a sand bar in lake charlevoix and we also pulled 6 skiers up which certainly would add strain at some point. I see skidim has them for $300.... more than i expected. Going to MC dealer at 9am to see what is estimate is. i do wonder what it takes to replace though, how they attach etc..... i might just try it. ha i just realized i used my brother inlaws account to reply, i need another beer or two.

Farmer Ted
07-02-2006, 11:32 PM
We were in deep water barefooting of the boom. Hit nothing, just snaped clean on the take off. no apparent damage to prop or rudder, the driver was smart enough to back off the instant it broke. Yes i see an alignment problem but there is some play in the stand off that would show that so i don't think that was it. i assume that after 26 year of torque the spot weakend and broke. i will say though that last year i skimmed a sand bar in lake charlevoix and we also pulled 6 skiers up which certainly would add strain at some point. I see skidim has them for $300.... more than i expected. Going to MC dealer at 9am to see what is estimate is. i do wonder what it takes to replace though, how they attach etc..... i might just try it. ha i just realized i used my brother inlaws account to reply, i need another beer or two.

I'll scan some info and post it in about 10 minutes....

Farmer Ted
07-02-2006, 11:36 PM
First part,

keep in mind this is coming from an Indmar manual so it may or may not apply to your boat.

Farmer Ted
07-02-2006, 11:41 PM
part 2 (looks like the hard part will be getting the prop off the broken half of the "log")

phecksel
07-03-2006, 12:26 AM
I don't think that looks right. I'd love to see a close up of the break, but it looks like a fatique fracture, which is not normal

alecams
07-03-2006, 01:04 PM
After further review MC dealer says it appears that the motor mounts or out of wack which could cause such a break, so maybe DanK has something as it is off alignment. I will be interested in the MC dealer cost of a shaft as compared to skidim.

dog paw
07-03-2006, 01:51 PM
That happened on my friends 83 S+S years ago. Broke off clean right behind the trans, luckly he was a better diver than I and was able to shove the shaft back through the packing nut before it sank :eek:

T Scott
07-03-2006, 02:15 PM
I have never snapped a shaft on my boat, but have done so on my waverunner. I have a GP 1200 that I was haulin A$$ on when "KaBLAMM" dead in the water. Not too hard to fix, but a real pain in the arse.

oldschool84
07-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I say it was the VODKA but the BEER was no help, Anyone else drink all day then go FOOT'n???

dog paw
07-03-2006, 03:18 PM
I say it was the VODKA but the BEER was no help, Anyone else drink all day then go FOOT'n???

Thats what it would take to give me the courage :D

And the bottle of nitrous it would take to drag my 200+ lb butt on top of the water would probably snap a shaft.......