PDA

View Full Version : Boat driver + power turns

rektek
07-02-2006, 01:08 PM
why is it that boat drivers need to pull a power turn to pickup a dropped rider and start rollers in every direction destroying what would have been flat waters ? I understand if a watercraft is bearing down on your dropped rider but this is almost never the case.

between the zig zag'n PWC and poor boat drivers it's getting hard to find decent water on a weekend.

PapaJoe
07-02-2006, 01:33 PM
Amen Brother....

JOE

Bert
07-02-2006, 02:06 PM
why is it that boat drivers need to pull a power turn to pickup a dropped rider and start rollers in every direction destroying what would have been flat waters ? I understand if a watercraft is bearing down on your dropped rider but this is almost never the case.

between the zig zag'n PWC and poor boat drivers it's getting hard to find decent water on a weekend.
I don't call them boat drivers! It seems any mental midget can get a ski boat these day's and none of them understand how to use them.

michael freeman
07-02-2006, 03:49 PM

My guess is most boat owners just don't know better. I used to ski on a big lake that had very few boats, and you really didn't have too many issues with this stuff.

It is only recently when I purchased a new boat after being off the lake for years, that I learned not only not to power turn but the correct way to drive the boat when pulling someone to prevent sending rollers down your own path.

I would be happy if the PWC wouldn't dive bomb my sister when I am pulling her behind the boat.

love2fly
07-02-2006, 04:43 PM
On the same note, have you watched some drivers pull a tube and do a big hard power turn thinking they are going to swing the tube out, only to find the tube comes to a stop as thay have 75 feet of rope that become slack.

Bert
07-02-2006, 08:23 PM
On the same note, have you watched some drivers pull a tube and do a big hard power turn thinking they are going to swing the tube out, only to find the tube comes to a stop as thay have 75 feet of rope that become slack.
I like that one because when the rope comes tight again it stretches the **** out of the tube and if your lucky it won't hold air again.

Ryan27r
07-02-2006, 10:53 PM
ONly time we did power turns was in my aunts PStar 190WHen we were done skiing and the lake was empty

mpmartin
07-03-2006, 12:51 AM
Like anything you have to be instructed correctly to bre a good driver. So where would any new driver go to find how to do correctly?

Bert
07-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Like anything you have to be instructed correctly to bre a good driver. So where would any new driver go to find how to do correctly?
Go for a ski at a ski school. We learned as much about driving as skiing. The bonus was it was our first ski behind a Mastercraft and two weeks later I was bringing one home.

erkoehler
07-03-2006, 01:05 AM
So ski/wakeboard school will also teach you to drive for a fee.

RobertT
07-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Back from Florida!!!! Yeee haw....now the 4th party starts.

Regarding power turns.....my dealer gave me a good lesson on etiquette when they did the on water demo. It was talked about and demonstrated just as much as how to back it up, dock the boat, pull into the lift, etc.

I think that was a very cool thing to do. Not making comp boat owners look like wallys is just as important as showing somebody how to use their stereo, in my opinion.

bret
07-03-2006, 10:44 AM
Unfortunately, if you ski on a public lake, have permission from the C.O.E. as we do for a course; a fair economy will bring out more boats, boaters, and wallys. Power turns are not great for the tranny, as all the fluid is pushed to one side. Now in the course, IMHO, if you have the shoreline that will prevent rollers coming back, you can throw the boat into the turn, come back to neutral and spin it, throwing the roller down the boat path that you were traveling in. Then you can idle back to pick up the skier and by the time you get back to them, get them the rope, and get them up, you can go out the opposite way, do a turn and come back to a clean course.

The funniest thing to me is to see the new owner of an I/O, trying to teach someone to ski, as they do these huge turns under power to get back to the skier - HUGE rollers, what great water to learn in. :D

wakebroad
07-03-2006, 10:46 AM
It's just like havin' a kid.....any idiot can have one! It's not right! They should at least require some sort of class before owning a boat. Of course, you would still have the people that just do what they want anyway! :mad:

bigmac
07-03-2006, 11:09 AM
There's a large campground on our lake and the July 4th holiday always bring 'em out in droves. The tubers and PWC'ers were tearing up the water pretty good yesterday, and that coupled with an unfortunate wind made for unusable water during the day. I tried to get over to a buddy's place across the lake in the Whaler and it just beat the cr@p out of me. It calmed down nicely about sunset so we were out skiing until it was too dark. No water patrol - just as well since one can't use the pylon for towing if the anchor light is in place.

An even greater hazard is the pontoon'ers. They don't create a lot of waves, but they tend to just putt along with no regard for other traffic, and are prone to sudden and unanticipated maneuvers. Even worse is a pontoon pulling a tube. We give them an especially wide berth.