PDA

View Full Version : Im back with more questions

madison
07-02-2006, 01:35 AM
problem is , at or above 3000 rpm the engine doesnt run smooth, it surges,, feels like its running out of gas,,, if I throttle down to 2500 rpm it runs awesome....

so I pulled the carb off last night and broke it down and cleaned everything with carb cleaner..let it sit overnight and put it back to gether this am..put it back on the motor and ran it..same damn thing!

last week I replaced the filter on the bottom of the fuel pump, the fuel water seperator filter and an additional filter thats near the carb..

so now im wondering if its not carb related or even fuel related.. could it be a ignition issue??? I checked the gap on the points..set at 15000ths.. one freind says it sounds like the coil is bad... but its a brand new coil..

im totally stumped and dont know what else to try!! other than call a mobile boat mechanic,,they charge $100 an hour around here! yikes!

thanks

C36
07-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Madison - Did you see this thread? http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10034

madison
07-02-2006, 04:13 PM
I had not seen that, but that sure makes sense to check the screens and fittings on the fuel tank.. I have replaced about everything external... inc fuel filters,electrical and some hoses..

madison
07-02-2006, 07:20 PM
man oh man!! at first I was enjoying working on my boat , getting it back to operating again.. I started this project a month ago! Now im getting very frustrated!!

this afternoon I pulled the tank, cleaned it out and reinstalled it...I also cleaned the little filter at the bottom of the pickup..

added 5 gallons and now the fuel gauge shows full!!! grrrrr... least of my worries for sure

I also added a see thru fuel filter near the carb.. barely any fuel coming into it... so im thinking maybe the fuel pump is shot??

I blew out the line from the tank to the fuel water sep.. next thing im gonna try is disconnect the input and out put on the f/w sep and connecet them together and see if I get better fuel flow..

im seriously about to give up and call a mobile mechanic!

thanks for listening to my constant frustrations :)

6ballsisall
07-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Sounds alot like a fuel pump to me.

BTW, I saw you put a see thru filter up near the carb. Be very careful about stuff like that. If its glass which I suspect it is, you have two large problems:

1. That is not coast guard approved. Your asking for trouble with law enforcement at your next boat check

2. That is a MAJOR fire hazard. One little click of that glass on the block over a wave and it could easily break; gushing fuel right over a HOT engine. A fire waiting to happen!

Be careful Madison!

Footin
07-02-2006, 07:44 PM
You tell'em Jeff.

wesgardner
07-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Hey Madison,

Does sound like a filter problem..I'd go back to bone stock and maybe order up a carb. rebuild kit, if your carbs that old, it may be time...could be something's just not metering quite right within the carb that cleaning just can't fix????

HEEDthe warning on the fuel-all-over the- motor deal, not a pretty thought.

ted shred
07-02-2006, 08:20 PM
I would replace the spark plugs. I had the same thing happen to me before and I went crazy trtrying to figure it out. Turns out one of the plugs would only fire at low rpms, made the thing stumble till you baked off.

madison
07-02-2006, 09:06 PM
I would replace the spark plugs. I had the same thing happen to me before and I went crazy trtrying to figure it out. Turns out one of the plugs would only fire at low rpms, made the thing stumble till you baked off.

the fliter is a plastic fram filter.. I think now that I cleaned the tank there is nothing else in there to find its way to the carb! so I will get rid of that filter next! thanks for the warnings!!

I will try changing the plugs when I get back from my 4th of july trip..

I also looked everywhere online for a rebuild kit for the holley 4010..I cant find them anywhere! and as far as the mechanical fuel pump, does that have to be coast guard approved?? or can I get one at the local parts store??

and one more..my friend said it sounds like a bad coil..but its brand new!!

by the time im done replacing all these parts I will have a new boat! LOL

thanks again guys!

TMCNo1
07-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Your local dealer should be able to get you parts or Discount Inboard Marine, www.skidim.com has everything you need, talk to Vince or Richard, 1-803-345-0996 if there are unanswered online questions.

6ballsisall
07-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Madison, yes there is a difference between marine and auto fuel pumps on your motor. Ski dim carries what you need. Give Vince or Richard a buzz, they'll help you out.

BriEOD
07-02-2006, 10:07 PM
While your talking to Vince tell him to send you a breakerless ignition kit and get rid of those points.

6ballsisall
07-02-2006, 11:46 PM
While your talking to Vince tell him to send you a breakerless ignition kit and get rid of those points.

Tru dat!! What up Brian! :wavey:

madison
07-02-2006, 11:59 PM
I looked at the instructions for installing electronic ignition..looks fairly basic..

thanks and have a great 4th everyone!!

BriEOD
07-03-2006, 05:26 PM
It's a 25 minute install and it won't disappoint.

Tutorial (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3533)