PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Brakes on Trailer

h20winn
07-01-2006, 04:26 PM
What is the best way to bleed the brakes on the trailer? I am having a heck of a time trying to bleed the brake calipers. One of the brake lines that I was working on was blocked with something. I took that line out and cleared out the line. When I went to bleed the caliper, I could not even get a drop of brake fluid out of the caliper. I filled the master cylinder and I took my suction devise and hooked it up to the caliper bleed valve. Then I loosened the bleed valve. I should have some fluid coming out from there. Is there sometime I need to release in the mastercylinder to get the fluid moving?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Young

Footin
07-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Get a vacuum hand bleeder, best 25 bucks you will ever spend. The local autoparts store should have them.

Tom023
07-01-2006, 07:54 PM
I've had my bleed screws get plugged with dirt and corroded inside the caliper. Take it out and make sure it's clear.

TOO-TALL
07-01-2006, 11:23 PM
I've had my bleed screws get plugged with dirt and corroded inside the caliper. Take it out and make sure it's clear.

Good Idea.

I was by myself and wanted to bleed the brakes.So I put a tire chaulk behind the rear wheels on the trailer unpluged the wiring harness and the backed up the truck alittle to put pressure in the brake lines.Then cracked the Bleeder screw..worked great do it a few times and your good to go.

93Prostar190
07-15-2006, 11:47 PM
From the car racing boys, you can use a light pressure of compressed air at the brake reservoir (12-16 PSI) to force brake fluid through the lines ... what I did was bought a spare cap for the master cylinder and made a small hole in it .... I then used one of the blower nozzles from my air compressor to fill the hole.

With a constant pressure of 12-16 psi you can go back to each wheel and open the bleeder gently and watch the bubbles disappear and the new fluid appear ... make sure you stop along the way and keep topping off the fluid in the master cylinder or else you will blow air into the system.

Works great .. let me know if you need more details.

AHudgins
07-15-2006, 11:53 PM
Is the other caliper getting fluid? You may want to disconnect the line at the master cylinder and make sure you are getting fluid there first. My job is a little easier, I have two teenage sons. One on each wheel and me on the master cylinder, gets the job done quickly.