PDA

View Full Version : Banner Bandits!

TMCNo1
07-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Could not post this on MY eMC Stories, so it's here:

During the mid '80s Mastercraft only made a limited number of banners for Boat Shows, ProTour events, Reunions and the like and would use them over and over again, carrying them to the various events.

At a Cypress Gardens, FL Reunion in 1988, a Mastercraft Boat owner [1st in CLASS & BEST of SHOW Winner], his 2 sons and his MasterCraft Boat owner brother, after the show on Saturday and the Awards Banquet that night inside the gardens and partying in the "SKI ONE LOUNGE" at the USA Inn. :D Wearing their new Mastercraft Reunion T-Shirts they decided at 12:30 at night they needed some banners for their basements and garages. These banners were around the boat display area, entrance to the park and inside the park.

They proceded to start untying and rolling up the various banners to steal and take home, only to be approached by the NIGHT SHIFT security guards, not knowing the Mastercraft personel, inquired as to what they were doing. They told the security guards they were collecting the banners after the event to keep someone from stealing them! The security guard politely invited them to hop aboard the security golf cart and drove them all over the grounds inside and outside the park and assisted them in removing and rolling up the banners, then drove them to the hotel and helped them unload them. The Mastercraft people went Sunday morning to collect the banners to take back to the factory and they were ALL gone and the DAY SHIFT security guards knew nothing about any banners, as they were a different crew than the DAY SHIFT security guards Mastercraft had worked with installing the banners a couple days before. BIG MYSTERY? :confused:

Several months after the reunion, the boat owner solved Mastercraft's missing Banner Mystery, by telling them, they got them and how they got them!

Mastercraft just laughed it off and chaulked it up to experience. :eek:

noose374
07-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Did "the boat owners" get to keep the banners?

TMCNo1
07-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Did "the boat owners" get to keep the banners?

They never asked for them back as the reunion was in October, late in the season and new banners for the next year were on order for 1989 by the time MC found out where they went! They probably would have wound up left behind, stolen or in a dumpster after the California Reunion 2 weeks after the Florida reunion anyway!

DemolitionMan
07-01-2006, 01:19 PM
harold who was that person?

Jim@BAWS
07-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Does the word "HAROLD" ring a bell? Crotty Rourke Vance???

I think that was Harold's first year competing.

I TOOK second place againist him in RIG...or maybe third

Jimmy Stevens may have taken second 1988 or 1989

Oh well

I had NOTHING to do with the BANNER REMOVAL TEAM

DOES THE WORD "SKIDOG" ring another bell?

Jim@BAWS

TMCNo1
07-01-2006, 10:40 PM

Oh well

Jim@BAWS

We bought our boat from JOA in March 1989 and in Oct. '89 won 1st in Tow Rig Class and Longest Distance Traveled, '90 won 1st in Tow Rig Class and Longest Distance Traveled, '91 won 1st in Tow Rig Class, Longest Distance traveled and our 1st Best of Show. Then for 3 years '92, '93, '94 we judged, did not compete and was asked by Mastercraft to display the boat! The Mastercraft Boat Owners Cypress Gardens Reunion on Saturday, Oct. 14, 1989 was the first time ever for the Tow Rig Class at any reunion!

The banners were stolen in Oct. of 1988 by my former employer, Ron Decker[deceased], his sons Jeff and Mike and his brother Tim [deceased].
None of the people you mentioned above were involved.

Jimmy Stevens did not compete until 1992. I have all the "Star" magazines published since Summer of 1987 with the reunion results in the issues after each reunion. :D And pictures of all the reunions we have attended!

atlfootr
07-02-2006, 05:16 PM
The Mastercraft people went Sunday morning to collect the banners to take back to the factory and they were ALL gone and the DAY SHIFT security guards knew nothing about any banners, :purplaugh :purplaugh :purplaugh :purplaugh

TMCNo1
07-02-2006, 05:23 PM
:purplaugh :purplaugh :purplaugh :purplaugh

We've probably drove by the home you live in 50 times while touring the Polk County Chain of Lakes on Sunday after the reunions at the Gardens, absolutely beautiful country. You are blessed!!!!!!!!!!! I keep a map from the CoC in the boat of the chain and have been on every single one that can be reached by a canal!

SkiDog
07-02-2006, 10:28 PM

Oh well

Jim@BAWS

I would NEVER have taken anything such as a Mastercraft banner! How could you even think such a thing?!?!!? :D Now, if you count all the stickers that I stole from Fla. Water Sports, well, that would be different. I'm just glad nobody said anything about the foilage around the pool at the Fla. reunion. BTW, I had a banner stolen from me at the 92 reunion. SOB's took it from right in front of my motel room! :mad: And Harold, believe it or not, I've STILL got one of those plants!

G-man
07-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Those plants are famous, we have heard about them out in Texas. Get Harold drinking a soft drink or water and there is no telling what beans he'll spill.

SkiDog
07-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Yea, there are! I can't believe that I've still to this day, have one left that is still living. You would have laughed your a$$ off if you had seen us running down the length of the pool at midnight with a palm tree so big it took three of us to carry! That particular tree was tooo big for me to use in the show, so I just left it in my motel room! :D

TMCNo1
07-03-2006, 12:08 AM
I would NEVER have taken anything such as a Mastercraft banner! How could you even think such a thing?!?!!? :D Now, if you count all the stickers that I stole from Fla. Water Sports, well, that would be different. I'm just glad nobody said anything about the foilage around the pool at the Fla. reunion. BTW, I had a banner stolen from me at the 92 reunion. SOB's took it from right in front of my motel room! :mad: And Harold, believe it or not, I've STILL got one of those plants!

You probably can't even kill that plant, it will be around for ever to haunt you! :eek:

TMCNo1
07-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Those plants are famous, we have heard about them out in Texas. Get Harold drinking a soft drink or water and there is no telling what beans he'll spill.

I plead the 5th ammoniament,
Skidog did not have sex with that plant! Skidog did not have sex with that plant! Skidog did not have sex with that plant!
He did not inhale! He did not inhale! He did not inhale!