PDA

View Full Version : LTR1 Fogging

Leroy
10-25-2004, 03:46 PM
I did the winterization of my boat last Friday and the only thing I wasn't sure of was fogging. I think the filter looking device on the front of the intake is the flame arrestor, can someone confirm? It is hard to get off on a 230VRS LTR1 engine due to very tight around the engine!
Thanks
Was so cool sucking up the RV anti-freeze! Went through 5 gallons in ~ 30 seconds.

Kell
10-25-2004, 11:25 PM
Leroy, on my LTR and at the rear of the motor above the tranny dip stick, is the flame arrestor. It is a black plastic rectangular box probably about 4x8. There is a ss hose clamp which connects the flame arrestor to the intake. I just winterized this past weekend, and I also was unsure how to fog, but I remember JimN stating that once you take off the flame arestor, on the throttle plate there is a small pin hole you can squirt the fogging oil in. Well on a vdrive you can't look up the intake, but using a mirror I was able to see up the intake and JimN is exactly right. I was warming the engine up to op temp and put my finger on the hole and you can feel the vacuum. So, when it came time to fog, I put the little plactic straw through the hole (holding onto the straw so it does not come loose and get sucked in as others have experienced) and started squirting fogging oil. I could hear the engine rpms drop, but the engine never stalled nor did I see any gray smoke come out the exhaust (JimN has indicated that some brands smoke letting you know you got fogging oil to the right places). I used West Marine brand of fogging oil, but the container did not indicate it smoks nor did it smoke when I fogged. So I squirted fogging oil for what seemed like an eternity (1 min or so). I then removed each plug and squired more fogging oil in the spark plug hole and then disconnected the netural safety switch and cranked it over a few times. I then squirted the tips of the plugs and threads, and re-installed. Here is a couple of pics of the flame arrestor.

JimN
10-26-2004, 07:22 AM
One thing about the hole in the throttle plate- in 2001 Rochester omitted it and I would check to see if it is there or not before fogging. If it's not, look at the area where the IAC is and the idle air goes in. You can squirt the fogging oil in there and the straw won't get sucked into the intake. Once the oil goes in here, it atomizes and will get to all cylinders.

Leroy
10-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Kell, I did see that box, would not have thought that was it. Will be back down again and do the fogging. Thanks!

NeilM
10-26-2004, 10:36 AM
JimN,

I didn't have a close enough look at mine to see where the IAC connected. Got any pics, diagrams?

JimN
10-26-2004, 01:23 PM
The IAC is mounted on the throttle body and has a 4 wire connector on it. The wires have tracers on them and the main colors are Blue and Green, two of each.

Leroy
10-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Jim; I saw that and on the front is the air filter, can I just remove it?

JimN
10-26-2004, 07:07 PM
You're asking if you can remove the flame arrestor? Yes. Just loosen the hose clamp and rotate it to make sure it's loose enough, then slide it off. Don't remove the IAC- it'll rev uncontrollably. You can squirt fogging oil into the orifice where the idle air goes in.