PDA

View Full Version : '91 190 PS Manuals / General Maintenance tips?

OnHiatus
06-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi, newby here. Last week I bought my first ski boat - a 1991 190! Overall it seems to be in good condition with ~820 hours on it.

While this is not my first boat, it is my first direct drive, and overall I am pretty clueless on the general maintenance.

So, I am looking for:

1991 MC owners manual
1991 Indomar engine manuals? Shop guides? Transmission guides?
Specific tips for this boat / model / year (What kind of gas should I run? What type of oil should I use? How often to I have to change the transmission fluid? etc..)
General tips or suggestions...

Anyone have any pointers?

So far I love the boat, but I'm feeling a little helpless.

Thanks, Tony (OnHiatus)

Evan Jones
06-30-2006, 11:53 AM
On the top toolbar of this site there is a downloads section. You will find your 91 prostar manual there. Someone else on this board has downloaded an Indmar manual from their website.

www.indmar.com/support/manual_download.cfm

As far as the rest of your questions, play with the search function in the toolbar. You can find the answer to almost anything with a good search.

east tx skier
06-30-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi, newby here. Last week I bought my first ski boat - a 1991 190! Overall it seems to be in good condition with ~820 hours on it.

While this is not my first boat, it is my first direct drive, and overall I am pretty clueless on the general maintenance.

So, I am looking for:

1991 MC owners manual
Specific tips for this boat / model / year (What kind of gas should I run? What type of oil should I use? How often to I have to change the transmission fluid? etc..)

Thanks, Tony (OnHiatus)

Welcome, Tony.

The links to the owners manuals and Indmar Manual are together in the same post of the FAQ.
Gas - Manual suggests 89 Octane. It will run on 87, but if it sits and degrades below 87, it could cause things to not run so well.
Transmission fluid every 100 hours (I do it every fall -- much less than 100 hours). Oil every 50 hours or seasonal.
Oil - Indmar recommends 15W40 (Pennzoil Marine 15W40 is available in the marine section of most Walmarts - not in the same section as the automotive motor oil).

Have fun.

OnHiatus
07-06-2006, 04:00 AM
Awesome information. Thank you!

There are a ton more questions - so I'll be around!

-Tony

bikeman
07-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Congrats on the new boat. Inboards are a world apart from anything else and if you ever drive another i/o again (like I did this past weekend), you'll really appreciate the things like your throttle response, stering feel and so on. its like driving a bmw versus an imapala.

The few things that stranded me upon purchase of my then 3 year old 1995 Prostar 205 were:
- replace the impeller every year if it needs it or not - SKIDIM.com was very helpful to me
- replace the belt every few years just to be safe.
- replace the fuel filter every year or so - skidim.com again for me.
- if you have fuel injection or heavy electronics, install a trickle charger and make sure its used. my boat will drain a new battery in +/- 3 weeks of storage. I've been meaning to install a pergo or whatever off switch, but just haven't gotten to it yet.
- Mastercraft will sell you factory skins - they'll look way better than any other shop could do and they are easy to DIY with a $30 staple gun and some lengthy stainless staples and some patience. Buy them before you need them before they are extinct. I can't recall where i bought mine but they were about 40% cheaper than other places commonly recommended.

You can e-mail me at wakesurfin@gmail.com if you want any more specific info.

Again, congrats on one of the best looking boats on the water - just great lines.

tex
07-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Congrats and welcome...I have put some hard hours on some of those 91's. You have a great boat...let's see some pics. You are in the right place! :o

east tx skier
07-07-2006, 11:05 PM
- Mastercraft will sell you factory skins - they'll look way better than any other shop could do and they are easy to DIY with a $30 staple gun and some lengthy stainless staples and some patience. Buy them before you need them before they are extinct. I can't recall where i bought mine but they were about 40% cheaper than other places commonly recommended.

They may be extinct unfortunately. If I understood Lex at Rambo correctly last time we spoke, as of July (now), MC is only offering skins 10 years back. Now that could mean accent colors or it could mean skins period. I didn't ask. The important thing is if you think you want the real deal, call them soon and you might get lucky. 10 years is a pretty good run. I know of one MC comptetitor that only offers them for 7.

airdrew99
07-08-2006, 09:33 AM

So, I am looking for:

1991 MC owners manual

Thanks, Tony (OnHiatus)
I have a 91 Prostar 190 with a Powerslot. I have 650 hrs on it and it runs great. Keep a spare impeller and belt in the boat. The belt I was using looked pretty new when it broke. I've heard that the 91-94 Prostars have one of the best slalom wakes around. Also, I might still have the 91 Owners Manual on Adobe. If I do, I will get it to you.

JohnnyB
07-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Regarding the spare belt....if you are changing it, buy 2. Since you're already taking off hoses and the bracket to the raw-water pump, get two of them in there and tie-wrap the spare to the bracket that supports the raw-water pump. If you ever break a belt out on the water, it'll be much quicker/easier to get the spare in place.