PDA

View Full Version : Waterski team vs. vacation home owners

wiltok
06-30-2006, 11:31 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-0606300161jun30,1,3400659.story?coll=chi-homepagetravel-hed

`The Battle of Don Jean Bay'
Wisconsin water-ski team pits locals against vacation-home owners, who want the youths to take their 30-year tradition somewhere else

By Lisa Black
Tribune staff reporter
Published June 30, 2006

ELKHORN, Wis. -- Some Chicago-area residents expected to be relaxing at their vacation homes at Lauderdale Lakes this summer over barbecues and sunsets, but instead they are engaged in what one called "the Battle of Don Jean Bay."

Their foe? The Lauderdale Aqua Skiers, a youth water-ski team whose members hurtle over jumps, create pyramids and perform stunts while music blasts every Saturday night.

Locals have long seen the water-ski shows as a quaint diversion. For weekend vacationers, they're a major irritant. Chief among the detractors is William Kochlefl, a lawyer from Winnetka, who, after getting no satisfaction from local officials, did some research and discovered that the skiers could be violating an environmental law.

Now the community, about 15 miles north of Lake Geneva, Wis., is in an uproar.

The feud has pitted neighbor against neighbor, and to understand it, one must know that water-ski teams in Wisconsin are like NASCAR in North Carolina. National enthusiasts refer to Wisconsin as the "show ski capital of the world" for its 35 formally organized teams--about three times the number found in most other states.

Underlying some of the disagreement is the feeling that outsiders from near Chicago are trying to change the local flavor.

"The ski team has been there 30 years and these folks are relatively new," said Scott Mason, chairman of the Lauderdale Lakes Lake Management District board, which owns the land used by the skiers.

But Rhonda Kochlefl, William's wife, said all area property owners should have the same rights.

"We purchased this property in 1998 as a dream come true and hoped to have it in our family for generations," she said. "I want to know why the ski team is above the law."

The Kochlefls say that for several years after they bought their home, the ski team was based largely at a neighboring lake, so they weren't prepared for the heavy use that resumed on the bay in 2004.

The Kochlefls and several neighbors complain that the team now dominates the bay, leaving little space for them to leave their piers. They question the safety of the ski jump, and say the skiers regularly cross into the 100-foot, no-wake zones--a claim the ski team disputes. Opponents also complain that the ski towboats, each of which is equipped with two 200-horsepower engines, are damaging the shoreline as they stir up the lake's floor.

About 20 other families--a large portion of those who live nearest to the bay, many of them weekend visitors--signed a petition stating they share similar concerns about the ski team.

William Kochlefl discovered the ski team launches off land that is zoned by the county for conservation because it is a wetland. He presented extensive documentation to officials and demanded that the ski team's annual permit be revoked.

Officials with the Lake Management District told him that they believe the ski team activities fit with their mission and do not violate zoning law. The LaGrange Town Board turned him away, saying the team supporters outnumber the opposing neighbors.

But Kochlefl found a more receptive audience when he appealed to Walworth County. A county zoning official agreed that the ski team is violating a law by using the land, which also contains a set of bleachers.

Officials told the team they have a year to find a new launch site.

Meanwhile, the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is investigating the Kochlefls' complaint to see if the ski team needs to apply for additional permits.

Team's fans plan to fight

Ski-team supporters plan to put up a fight, with area organizations lobbying county and state elected officials to intervene. The next step is for lake management district leaders and county officials to discuss options, such as rezoning the property so the ski team could stay in Don Jean Bay, Mason said.

"If he's successful in getting rid of us, what's the next group he'll go after?" said Greg Twelmeyer, 50, president of the Lauderdale Aqua Skiers. "The personal watercraft? The 4th of July fireworks? It's a slippery slope and we're in the bull's-eye."

About 80 people from 55 families participate on the current ski team, leaders said. Skiers come from the local Lauderdale Lakes communities as well as Illinois.

Supporters describe the ski performances as a wholesome tradition supported by generations of family members since the 1960s. Team members age 6 and up sew costumes, cut ropes and raise money year-round.

Louise Meike, 60, stood near the water-ski site recently and described four generations of family involved with the team.

"While my children were in it, I made the costumes. My husband was the driver," said Meike, whose three grandchildren are among the youngest newcomers on the team.

"This is family."

At the pier, the Meike grandchildren, ages 7, 4, and 1, all wore life vests as they watched older teens and their parents practice their moves.

Jeff Asbach, 40, of Spring Grove, Ill., hoisted his 6-year-old daughter, Kayla, on his shoulders while on skis.

"I've made lifelong friends here," Asbach said.

Troubled waters in the bay

Most agree the turbulence began last summer when the Lauderdale Aqua Skiers started practicing three to four hours a day, four days a week, at Don Jean Bay. Because the 900-foot-wide bay's waters are calm and shallow, it is a popular spot for recreation on Lauderdale Lakes, a chain of three lakes north of Elkhorn.

In 1999, the ski team cut back on its use of the bay when the private landowner who provided them with a launch site and pier sold his property. The team moved most of its operations to nearby Elkhorn Lake, practicing and performing at Don Jean Bay only for holidays and special events.

Then in 2000, the Lake Management District bought the team's old launching site, a 7-acre parcel, for $100,000. The team continued to split its time between both sites. Then in 2003, the Elkhorn City Council voted to stop allowing motorboats on Elkhorn Lake in a decision unrelated to the Lauderdale Aqua Skiers, a parks and recreation official said.

By July 2004, the water-ski team resumed all of its practices and performances at Don Jean Bay, Twelmeyer said.

That caused a stir immediately, said David Sturms, a lawyer from Hinsdale who has a home on the bay.

"They pull out this big ski jump and start maneuvering around the area. It just blocks off the area," said Sturms.

The LaGrange Town Board now permits the team to practice from 4 to 7 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays. The skiers return to practice about 3 p.m. Saturdays before holding the hourlong show at 6 p.m.

The shows attract dozens of spectators, most of whom watch from their boats, which fill the bay and anchor near the homeowners' docks.

Ski-team leaders said they thought they had resolved the problems by agreeing to stop practicing on Sundays, said Anthony Cecola, 42, team fundraiser.

"We're not doing anything we haven't been doing for 30 years," Cecola said.

Most hope for a compromise.

"I personally don't want them out," said Karen Zamin of Hoffman Estates, who supported the Kochlefls at the LaGrange board meeting. Her family bought a home on the bay with hopes of retiring there.

"I just wanted them to cut back to a reasonable and fair amount of time," Zamin said.

----------

lblack@tribune.com

Copyright 2006, Chicago Tribune

east tx skier
06-30-2006, 12:17 PM
I hate hearing about stuff like this.

Thrall
06-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Welcome to WI!
***?? These people opposing this are the ones getting out of Chicago for the weekend to go to the "country". If that's their intention, they need to keep driving North. Elkhorn is not the Northwoods.
If not for the waterski practices and shows, the bay would be full of others w/ loud music, stupid waverunner maneuvers, and plenty of drinking and boating to go around.
When I was a kid, my friend's parents had a place on Lake Delton, right across from the Tommy Bartlett ski show. That was the coolest thing ever to watch!
IMO, there could be alot worse things going on than a ski team practice.

east tx skier
06-30-2006, 03:45 PM
I guess if the ski team is gone, there's nothing to stop people from driving back and forth just outside the no wake zone at about 8 mph with the boats heavily weighted.

To the complainers, be careful what you wish for.

tex
06-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Well put Thrall!

Granite_33
06-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Isn't the term I always hear from my work buddies up there????

FIBS

F***king
Illinois
B@stardS

6ballsisall
06-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Sounds like our lake and ski team :rolleyes:

Effin' pontooners and fisherman!! :mad:

Rockman
06-30-2006, 04:03 PM

FIBS

F***king
Illinois
B@stardS

It's not just the Illinois people wanting to do this to the lakes...same crap on our lake and it's the old Wisconsin and Minnesota folks who are planning retirements.

So don't go there with the FIB line.

6ballsisall
06-30-2006, 04:14 PM
It's not just the Illinois people wanting to do this to the lakes...same crap on our lake and it's the old Wisconsin and Minnesota folks who are planning retirements.

It's all them people with the funny accents causing the problems. UMP??? You aren't involved with pickin on these trolls are you???

east tx skier
06-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Whoever these people are, tell 'em to stay out of Texas!

Granite_33
06-30-2006, 04:27 PM

Sounds like you're familiar with the line then.........

Unfortunately, the vocal property owners wanting to control what goes on in the waters in front of them is becoming more and more prevalent.

After reading the article, its a tough call................

Danimal
06-30-2006, 04:56 PM
"If he's successful in getting rid of us, what's the next group he'll go after?" said Greg Twelmeyer, 50, president of the Lauderdale Aqua Skiers. "The personal watercraft? The 4th of July fireworks? It's a slippery slope and we're in the bull's-eye."

It's starting to happen not more than 12 miles away from Lauderdale Lakes on my Brown's Lake. Litigation was started this year against the "Brown's Lake Aquaducks". This team has been around for a long time and I think it is a great family sport.

Why don't we just outlaw all the shows and let the kids go back to roaming the streets...

Datdude
07-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Let 'em ski :mad:

Nobody owns the water, and technically anyone is allowed to use it.

No comment on the Illinois stuff :uglyhamme

tommcat
07-03-2006, 09:00 AM
sounds like a good way to get your vacation home burned to the ground.

screwin with the locals is about as dumb as insulting the chef at a restaurant you go to every week

pilot02
07-03-2006, 09:38 AM

screwin with the locals is about as dumb as insulting the chef at a restaurant you go to every week

I'm not one for violence (or arson), but AMEN!!!
Need a match?

Workin' 4 Toys
07-03-2006, 11:06 AM

FIBS

F***king
Illinois
B@stardS (B@stardS)

F (same as above)
I llinois
S ***
H eads

;)

Workin' 4 Toys
07-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Not too relavant, but a point none the less.

Growing up, we attended a "race track" often. It was in the middle of nowwhere. Well guess what, some people found the "no where" very appealling. So some bought some land and decided to build houses, it just so happened to be across the street from said race track. Then the noise complaints start rolling in, so the restrictions start coming to the track. Events were cut back significantly enough the track could no longer keep the doors open.
Now, its all houses.....which leads to... What happened to this appealing "middle of nowhere" lifestyle...Like it was said before, watch what you ask for....

Datdude
07-03-2006, 01:16 PM
F (same as above)
I llinois
S ***
H eads

;)

That is the most common one I know of :uglyhamme

Rockman
07-03-2006, 02:01 PM

Sorry, I have more class than to rip on someone because of where they live...

Workin' 4 Toys
07-03-2006, 02:48 PM
Spending a good portion of my "free" time in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Indiana, I hear a few good ones. But this is the most common.
Hey, at least it ain't Cheesehead..... That would SUK royaly!!!

Rockman
07-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Spending a good portion of my "free" time in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Indiana, I hear a few good ones. But this is the most common.
Hey, at least it ain't Cheesehead..... That would SUK royaly!!!

Ya, that would smell like fromunda... :D

shepherd
07-03-2006, 07:29 PM

Even Tony Soprano was more subtle. He just had his boys park his yacht behind the dude's house and blast Frank Sinatra music at the house at all hours of the day and night until he gave in... :rant:

Datdude
07-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Sorry, I have more class than to rip on someone because of where they live...

Workin' said it.....not me. :confused:

browsielover
07-10-2006, 09:13 PM
These folks are militant. When approached by local news for comment, they reared up an enthusastic middle finger and told them to get the f out. When discussions based on lake use come up during town board meetings, they do not speak... they yell - louder and louder. They will continue to beat up these types of issues until they get thier way on everything. It's a shame that we have to share the world with people like this.
Wish us luck.

MasterCrafting
07-10-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm not a FIB *tear *tear *tear i love ski shows and waterskiing....I'm hurt

flya750
07-10-2006, 09:45 PM
I hear your pain on this one....BUT....

When boaters begin to dictate to other boaters and lake owners the condition of the water....isn't that an infringement of some kind? I understand the sharing of the water ways...but it's hard to share sometimes with certain other boaters...

Yeah.... I hate to say it... people bash tubers...and perhaps for good reason...for erratic driving...?

But what really gets me...is the wake boarders....throwing up 3-4 ft. waves and dictating lake conditions for everyone... I would rather see a tuber anyday over a freakin' wake boarder!

I can't believe anyone who wakeboards and drives those wake machines has ANY right to say anything on this matter...period....

sorry...my .02 cents...

nroland
07-10-2006, 11:00 PM
As a cheesehead growing up in WI, show skiing is a way of life ... as is anything that has to do with anything that one could possibly ski on (paddles, tables, chairs, skis, feet, wakeboards, ect). We are fortunate enough to not have problems on our lake (hopefully not ever), but we did get a few complaints when our "team" of four families would build pyramids, pull 5 barefooters, and run the course at 7 am.

What gets me is that in some people's minds, it's not OK to have a pyramid go by their window at 7 am but it is OK to have the fishing tournament boats go screaming by at 60+ MPH at 5:30 am. That to me makes more of an irritant than ski boats.

tex
07-10-2006, 11:39 PM
As a cheesehead growing up in WI, show skiing is a way of life ... as is anything that has to do with anything that one could possibly ski on (paddles, tables, chairs, skis, feet, wakeboards, ect). We are fortunate enough to not have problems on our lake (hopefully not ever), but we did get a few complaints when our "team" of four families would build pyramids, pull 5 barefooters, and run the course at 7 am.

What gets me is that in some people's minds, it's not OK to have a pyramid go by their window at 7 am but it is OK to have the fishing tournament boats go screaming by at 60+ MPH at 5:30 am. That to me makes more of an irritant than ski boats.
Well said!

Rockman
07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Well said!

Yes, I second that! :headbang:

mitch
07-11-2006, 02:56 PM
I hear your pain on this one....BUT....

When boaters begin to dictate to other boaters and lake owners the condition of the water....isn't that an infringement of some kind? I understand the sharing of the water ways...but it's hard to share sometimes with certain other boaters...

Yeah.... I hate to say it... people bash tubers...and perhaps for good reason...for erratic driving...?

But what really gets me...is the wake boarders....throwing up 3-4 ft. waves and dictating lake conditions for everyone... I would rather see a tuber anyday over a freakin' wake boarder!

I can't believe anyone who wakeboards and drives those wake machines has ANY right to say anything on this matter...period....

sorry...my .02 cents...

''a freakin' wake boarder!'' Painting w/ pretty broad brush eh?

Not sure, do you not understand the 'erratic driving' piece? They will do circle after circle on our lake for hours, pulling every little kid in the boat. Generally speaking on our lake the tube pullers are the worst drivers and are the ones who churn the lake the most. Had to drop a skier this past weekend, while a lady pulling a round mound of sound right in front of me never even saw me. The Wakeboarders generally are in the middle and cruise thru leaving one wake (yes it's large) and then it settles, and they return in 10 minutes later. One our lake they all have their downsides.

-'footers on our lake 6AM 45mph
-slalom anywhere from 6-8AM 35mph
-WB'ers 9AM and after 22 mph
-tubers 9AM-6PM vary speeds, lots and lots of screaming.
-fat guy in a Bayliner sitting on his seat driving 30 yards from shore 9mph- 3PM till dusk. Generally if water is coming over my dock on any given day, this is the cause

Not fer nutin, but I'll take the WB and slalom crowd out of the above list, but's it's all good, everyone's having fun. Your profile does not say what kind of boat you have?????? Do tell

chudson
07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
In the imortal words of Rodney King," Can't we all just get along"

flya750
07-12-2006, 12:05 AM
''a freakin' wake boarder!'' Painting w/ pretty broad brush eh?

Not sure, do you not understand the 'erratic driving' piece? They will do circle after circle on our lake for hours, pulling every little kid in the boat. Generally speaking on our lake the tube pullers are the worst drivers and are the ones who churn the lake the most. Had to drop a skier this past weekend, while a lady pulling a round mound of sound right in front of me never even saw me. The Wakeboarders generally are in the middle and cruise thru leaving one wake (yes it's large) and then it settles, and they return in 10 minutes later. One our lake they all have their downsides.

-'footers on our lake 6AM 45mph
-slalom anywhere from 6-8AM 35mph
-WB'ers 9AM and after 22 mph
-tubers 9AM-6PM vary speeds, lots and lots of screaming.
-fat guy in a Bayliner sitting on his seat driving 30 yards from shore 9mph- 3PM till dusk. Generally if water is coming over my dock on any given day, this is the cause

Not fer nutin, but I'll take the WB and slalom crowd out of the above list, but's it's all good, everyone's having fun. Your profile does not say what kind of boat you have?????? Do tell

Mitch,

My boat is a slalom boat...PS190

I don't think anyone can complain about noise when living on a lake. It should be understood that there will be boats running at all hours...and if you want quiet don't live on a lake. duh!

I personally can't blame fisherman flying down the lake at 5:30am. I personally would avoid that if I were a fisherman in an effort to be courteous. But if it's a tournament I would understand.

Yes, tuber drivers do drive erratic and do cause wakes. That is unfortunate for skiers on the water. But none the less I respect their right. I personally don't pull tubes because I try to promote skiing as it is much more fullfilling for my boating guests.

BUT... wake boarders weigh down their boats w/1400lbs of water in an effort to put up a 4' wall of water..

To me... freakin' wakeboarders completely dictate the water conditions. That is MHO. You say wake boarders generally drive down the middle. I would agree... But they start..they stop..they start... they stop... everytime doing big power turns going back to the boarder...sending mini tsunamis down the waterway.

I understand that wakeboarding is popular... I personally don't see how wake boarding can compare to the rush of slalom, but again that is MHO. BUT....to me when a wakeboarder comes on the lake with one of those darn wake machines dictating the water conditions for everyone else...That is no different than second hand smoke - unacceptable!

What really peeves me is when I see a wake machine obviously weighted down with 1500 + lbs of water ...putting up a 4' wake and a 11 yr old kid boarding behind it barely staying up. Yeah that wake is really necessary!? NOT!!

I know I will never win this argument with any wake board lovers but that does not mean that driving a $65,000 boat that is putting up a 4' wake and music blarring loudly... to me... isn't down right obnoxious to everyone else on the water.

So let me get this straight... You're complaining about a fat guy in a bayliner cruising the shoreline and you see nothing wrong with a wake boarding boat putting up 4' wakes???? I don't understand your logic at all.

:cool:

X2M
07-12-2006, 12:59 AM
Mitch,

I don't think anyone can complain about noise when living on a lake. It should be understood that there will be boats running at all hours...and if you want quiet don't live on a lake. duh!

I personally can't blame fisherman flying down the lake at 5:30am. I personally would avoid that if I were a fisherman in an effort to be courteous. But if it's a tournament I would understand.

Yes, tuber drivers do drive erratic and do cause wakes. That is unfortunate for skiers on the water. But none the less I respect their right. I personally don't pull tubes because I try to promote skiing as it is much more fullfilling for my boating guests.

BUT... wake boarders weigh down their boats w/1400lbs of water in an effort to put up a 4' wall of water..

To me... freakin' wakeboarders completely dictate the water conditions. That is MHO. You say wake boarders generally drive down the middle. I would agree... But they start..they stop..they start... they stop... everytime doing big power turns going back to the boarder...sending mini tsunamis down the waterway.

I understand that wakeboarding is popular... I personally don't see how wake boarding can compare to the rush of slalom, but again that is MHO. BUT....to me when a wakeboarder comes on the lake with one of those darn wake machines dictating the water conditions for everyone else...That is no different than second hand smoke - unacceptable!

What really peeves me is when I see a wake machine obviously weighted down with 1500 + lbs of water ...putting up a 4' wake and a 11 yr old kid boarding behind it barely staying up. Yeah that wake is really necessary!? NOT!!

I know I will never win this argument with any wake board lovers but that does not mean that driving a $65,000 boat that is putting up a 4' wake and music blarring loudly... to me... isn't down right obnoxious to everyone else on the water.

So let me get this straight... You're complaining about a fat guy in a bayliner cruising the shoreline and you see nothing wrong with a wake boarding boat putting up 4' wakes???? I don't understand your logic at all.

I think your opinion is a little to broad flya. Not all wakeboarders driving $65,000 boats weight their boats down and do power turns when going back to get a downed rider with their music blaring. Alot of us have respect for others on the water.

Not nice to clump all of us wakeboarders in the same category as the wally's.

My .02 cents.

:)

Leroy
07-12-2006, 01:09 AM
Most lakes are public lakes with whatever restrictions exist. Anyone can use the water, I really hate it when lakefront owners think they own the lake.

I think we are quickly headed toward more regulations on lakes, tubing areas, skiing areas, fishing areas, etc.

flya750
07-12-2006, 01:16 AM
I think your opinion is a little to broad flya. Not all wakeboarders driving $65,000 boats weight their boats down and do power turns when going back to get a downed rider with their music blaring. Alot of us have respect for others on the water.

My .02 cents.

You certainly are correct....it was a broad clump ;) My apologies if I offended you.

But...on my lake and other lakes I visit.. I've yet to see a wakeboarding boat that wasn't an X-star or Air Nautique..

flya750
07-12-2006, 01:18 AM

My .02 cents.

By the way... thank you for your .02 cents... it's great that we can all express our .02 cents as I have done.

djhuff
07-12-2006, 07:48 AM
Ever think that these people who are doing the power turning would stop if they knew what it was doing to the water? Maybe a friendly conversation expressing the finer points of driving without being condescending about the wake?

I know where we ride, once I go through, the water is butter again within a minute or two. It's all about following basic driving lines.

I will agree with you on the too much ballast for an inexperienced rider, it wastes gas and makes the new rider less likely to have fun. I do want to see this 4' wake you have talked about, seems a little exaggerated.

shepherd
07-12-2006, 09:04 AM
I do want to see this 4' wake you have talked about, seems a little exaggerated.

8p You know what folks around here say when we get 4' waves??? Surf's up!

John B
07-12-2006, 10:16 AM
I have never seen a wakeborder turn a boat around without making a "my wake is big then your wake turn" The object of a wakeborder boat is to make the biggest wake it can and screw everybody else. If a skier trys to tell them how to drive their boat,that not going to be taken very well.If all wakeborder are not "Wallys", then the ones who know how the drive a boat, need to teach the wakeboarding "Wallys" But I don't think that will happen because like I said, I have never seen a wakeborder turn a boat around without making a "my wake is big then your wake turn" :twocents:

X2M
07-12-2006, 10:25 AM
I have never seen a wakeborder turn a boat around without making a "my wake is big then your wake turn" The object of a wakeborder boat is to make the biggest wake it can and screw everybody else. If a skier try to tell them how to drive their boat,that not going to be taken very well.If all wakeborder are not "Wallys", then the ones who know how the drive a boat, need to teach the wakeboarding "Wallys" But I don't think that will happen because like I said, I have never seen a wakeborder turn a boat around without making a "my wake is big then your wake turn" :twocents:

So much love for the wakeboarders. Seems to be more ski snobs on here than I thought. Sad.

Next time you are up in NorCal let me know and I will give you a pull. You can see first hand that not all wakeboarders do "my wake is bigger than your wake" turns.

TMCNo1
07-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Not too relavant, but a point none the less.

Growing up, we attended a "race track" often. It was in the middle of nowwhere. Well guess what, some people found the "no where" very appealling. So some bought some land and decided to build houses, it just so happened to be across the street from said race track. Then the noise complaints start rolling in, so the restrictions start coming to the track. Events were cut back significantly enough the track could no longer keep the doors open.
Now, its all houses.....which leads to... What happened to this appealing "middle of nowhere" lifestyle...Like it was said before, watch what you ask for....

In Galax, VA a fellow built a "Lawnmower Racetrack" out in the middle of nowhere,in the mountains, in the country on a 80 acre farm. The "neighbors", most over 1/2 mile away complained to the authorities and they finally shut him down after a court battle. 2 weeks after he was shut down he was actually mowing the grass around the "Lawnmower Racetrack", the neighbors complained and he was arrested for having a lawn mower running on the property.
Now the local business's are complaining that the closing down of the racetrack has severely hurt their weekend sales traffic from the lack of Lawnmower Racers, Spectators, and even locals!
Just goes to prove, You can't please all the people, all the time!

chudson
07-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Cheeseheads = Wisconcin
Flatlanders = Illinois ( the s is silent )
Yoopers = Upper Peninusla Michigan

These are the names everyone used to call each other and I think we all would wear our name on our chests like a badge of honor. When did the name calling go south? I must have missed that boat and glad I did. I sat here and have figured that I and my family have spent well over 16 weeks on vacation in Wisconcin snow skiing, and snowmobiling and 6 weeks at the Air Show Flyin at Osh Kosh and I promise we never tried to change a thing while we were there. I love Wisconcin and I sure hope the kids of the Lauderdale Aqua ski team can continue with their shows and practices. If you want to blame someone jump on the people that sold the property to the trouble makers. So please don't lump me into the name calling pyle, if you choose to please refer to the above list. I am from Illinois ( the s is silent ) and proud of it.

mitch
07-12-2006, 11:19 AM
I have never seen a wakeborder turn a boat around without making a "my wake is big then your wake turn" The object of a wakeborder boat is to make the biggest wake it can and screw everybody else. If a skier trys to tell them how to drive their boat,that not going to be taken very well.If all wakeborder are not "Wallys", then the ones who know how the drive a boat, need to teach the wakeboarding "Wallys" But I don't think that will happen because like I said, I have never seen a wakeborder turn a boat around without making a "my wake is big then your wake turn" :twocents:

Our lake is different I guess. We're tite w/ about 8 families our lake and I do my best to educate them that when a rider falls , idle down and slowly turn the boat around, vs power turn. Most weighted boats understand this anyway, as a power turn in a wake machine ain't much fun, and burns a ton of gas

So when you've approached these 'power turning wakeboarding wally's' and explained your issue, what was their response??

mitch
07-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Mitch,

So not boarding, not tubing, no music, no nutin,....just slalom and only slalom, you're right we won't agree. My elderly father-in-law is also very narrow minded. I tube once in a while too:D Once the lake turns to crap (usually from tubers after say 9ish) we'll pull 3 Obrien stings (sorta like a tube, but lower and more control) together, and it's a blast. All smiles from everyone. You should try it. It's FUN. Surprised you didn't mention surfing :confused: Would seem that "everytime doing big power turns" crowd would also be surfing too. You wanna talk wake size........9.5 mph and fully weighted..yeeeehaaaaaaa!;) Still not 4' but big

mitch
07-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Most lakes are public lakes with whatever restrictions exist. Anyone can use the water, I really hate it when lakefront owners think they own the lake.

I think we are quickly headed toward more regulations on lakes, tubing areas, skiing areas, fishing areas, etc.

I hope it doesn't get to that Leroy. I agree w/ you re: lakefront owners that think they own the lake. Many people on our lake hate it when the locals fish close to their docks. I chat em up, they're usually nice guys, and just looking for fish. In the 8 years I've been on my lake not once have these guys fished tite to my docks when my kids were in the water.

mitch
07-12-2006, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE=X2momma]So much love for the wakeboarders. Seems to be more ski snobs on here than I thought. Sad.

Hey! Seems only to be a few slalom snobs here, most of the hard core slalom crowd on this site (and there's a lot of them) are very cool:cool:

I prefer wakeboarding, but slalom a lot (70/30) prolly cause wife, daughter and #1 son are all slalom all the time, otherwise I'd probably own a mean 4' wake making monster:rolleyes: Cya!!

djhuff
07-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Alot of terms like "never" and "always" and "all wakeboard boats" being thrown around in here. Maybe some of you should venture past your lake and see that there are people out there that know what they are doing.

I used to do that crap (power turn), but I quickly learned the correct way when someone explained it to me.

Unless you have seawalls on your lake, a wakeboard boat is not going to tear up the water any more than a 190 if driven properly.

For some reason, some of you in this thread are really pi****g me off.

Maristar210
07-12-2006, 12:11 PM
This thread proves that some people are only happy if they have the water to themselves. You want flat water? Get your a$$ out of bed and go get it. I used to get pi$$ed at all the tubers because thier erratic driving destroys the water. I wakeboard behind a Maristar with a tower and one ballast bag. I do not ever power turn unless drunk bass boat tuber guy is headed for my son, then I don't care if you get pi$$ed.

The wakeboarders I know are very respectful of other peoples rights to the water. Although the ski course on our water has some of the best and flattest water out there we stay away out of respect to the guys who ski and do so impressively.

For you nay sayers to group all of "us wakeboarers" together makes me want to zig zag through your ski course at 10 mph. Furthermore we only have the stereo on when we are anchored. When we wakeboard it is always off. Lastly, 4 foot wake is an exaggeration unless you get a 28 inch wake off your PS190.

Having said all of that if you ever want a pull through our ski course I'd be glad to do it anytime but show up early because those damn wakeboarders ruin the water by 9:00:uglyhamme :D

Steve

jbfootin
07-12-2006, 12:14 PM
Wow, this thread has gone from defending ski teams to us bashing eachother! I have to admit that I would love for all other boats to get off the lake when I am ready to take a few footin runs, but that is not going to happen and we all must take our turns on the water and live with the fact that the rest of the universe does not revolve around us!

As far as the ski team goes, I was on a ski team about 10 years ago, and they are still some of the best people I know, and the best friends I have had. It is one of the most family orientated clubs I have ever seen. Instead of being annoyed by the traffic, pull up a lawn chair and take in the free show! It sounds like they have limited and set practice times, if you do not like it go out to eat, go to the store, go for a walk, just get away from it or find a way to ignore it!

If you can't beat them, JOIN THEM! You may have fun and gain a few new friends! Like some one said earlier, being a weekender, you do not want to mess with the locals! They may mess with you when you are not around in return!

My 2 cents

X2M
07-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Hey! Seems only to be a few slalom snobs here, most of the hard core slalom crowd on this site (and there's a lot of them) are very cool:cool:

I prefer wakeboarding, but slalom a lot (70/30) prolly cause wife, daughter and #1 son are all slalom all the time, otherwise I'd probably own a mean 4' wake making monster:rolleyes: Cya!!

I know that most of hard core slalom crowd on here are cool.

I was surprised that there are even a couple of slalom snobs. We are all MC owners and just because some choose to wakeboard more than ski, or even own wakeboard boats it shouldn't make them 'wally's'. That is the part that I found sad.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Well, most every time I ski, I have the ENTIRE bay to myself!!! YEA BABY!!! Its all about ME!!! now you know WHY I endure the cooler temps up here. Total solitude on the lake. If I seagull lands near us I always joke and say "DAMMIT! that seagull is ****iing up my lake!" Its good to be the king!!!:D

chudson
07-12-2006, 12:42 PM
That,s funny UMP, if we all were so lucky! Hey is there a dictionary of ski and wake board terms out there somewhere, I am 51 or 52 years old and I feel like a stupid dolt not knowing what a "Wally" is.

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 12:43 PM
This ought not be about boat versus boat. Restrictions on one type of boat or on-water activity is often just the tip of the iceberg for broader restrictions. We all want glassy water. No wakeboarder wants to land on my boats wake at 36 mph anymore than I want to cross their 20 mph rollers on my slalom. But on public water, we all have the right to use it. When I see another rider, and we're just cruising, I'll pull back to a dead stop until they pass as I know I would appreciate the same courtesy (though I've learned not to expect it and am not bothered when it's not extended toward us). I just get behind the boat and ride the foam for a second.

There is a difference between discourtesy and idiocy though. And none of it has to do with the type of engine, engine placement, outboard, I/O, watersport, or brand affiliation. I saw idiocy demonstrated by all kinds of folks two weekends ago.

shepherd
07-12-2006, 01:40 PM
If I had my way, there would be no wakeboarders on the lake when I want to ski. Also, there would be no other cars on the road when I'm on my way to work, there would be no other passengers on the airplane when I fly... ;)

hleepert
07-12-2006, 03:17 PM
I agree with your eastie. We are on a semi-private lake and while skiing the course another boat pulled into the course jsut after our skier exited the gates and we were making our turn for our second pass. The boat, Mastercraft, the skier, slalom, and as he exited from his second pass he just waved at us not knowing that he just cut into our set. There are just too many people out there that don't know any better.

This ought not be about boat versus boat. Restrictions on one type of boat or on-water activity is often just the tip of the iceberg for broader restrictions. We all want glassy water. No wakeboarder wants to land on my boats wake at 36 mph anymore than I want to cross their 20 mph rollers on my slalom. But on public water, we all have the right to use it. When I see another rider, and we're just cruising, I'll pull back to a dead stop until they pass as I know I would appreciate the same courtesy (though I've learned not to expect it and am not bothered when it's not extended toward us). I just get behind the boat and ride the foam for a second.

There is a difference between discourtesy and idiocy though. And none of it has to do with the type of engine, engine placement, outboard, I/O, watersport, or brand affiliation. I saw idiocy demonstrated by all kinds of folks two weekends ago.