PDA

View Full Version : Got an OJ Propellar that got nicked?

excetara2
06-30-2006, 10:29 AM
Wondering the best way to fix it. It is a very small nick. Just a tiny little bump on the end of it. I have noticed any effects while using the boat. I am wondering the best way to straighten it out. Thanks and let me know.

bigmac
06-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Wondering the best way to fix it. It is a very small nick. Just a tiny little bump on the end of it. I have noticed any effects while using the boat. I am wondering the best way to straighten it out. Thanks and let me know.

IMHO, the best way to fix a nicked NiBral propeller is to take it to a propeller repair expert and have them do it. The same injury that nicked the prop may have also bent a blade, changed a cup.

G-man
06-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Go direct to OJ and you can't go wrong.

excetara2
06-30-2006, 12:15 PM
K, It is a really small not nick but bump and I thought it could just be smoothed out. I don't want to have to send it in now. It isn't big at all. I will contact OJ and see what they can do.

east tx skier
06-30-2006, 12:19 PM
If it isn't noticeable, try and get through the holiday weekend. Mail it with your contact info as soon as the weekend is over. OJ's turnaround (in our case) was 2 days. You should have it back in no time.

rlivingood
07-13-2006, 03:51 PM
I too have a small ding (incured last weekend) and want to get the prop repaired. I used it the remainder of the day since there was no vibration to mention. Took it off when I got home and put my spare on. Just went to the local Cope and McStealers and they said it would be $160 to repair (very minor ding). I thought to myself I'll buy a 3 blade rather than spend $160 for a minor repair.

So what have folks been paying for a minor repair and what do folks think about OJ repair time, etc..

Thanks,

Rod

east tx skier
07-13-2006, 05:09 PM
I too have a small ding (incured last weekend) and want to get the prop repaired. I used it the remainder of the day since there was no vibration to mention. Took it off when I got home and put my spare on. Just went to the local Cope and McStealers and they said it would be $160 to repair (very minor ding). I thought to myself I'll buy a 3 blade rather than spend $160 for a minor repair.

So what have folks been paying for a minor repair and what do folks think about OJ repair time, etc..

Thanks,

Rod

OJ had a two day turn around. When I had one done, it was $75 for a 3 blade and $85 for a four blade. I recall about $10 to ship.

beef
07-13-2006, 05:17 PM
My experience with OJ was about the same - about $90 to completely recondition a 4 blade. This included one severely bent blade. Took about a week to turn around in my case. No complaints here.

east tx skier
07-13-2006, 05:35 PM
As for turn around, to clarify my earlier post, that was two days in OJs hands. Took about two days to get it there and two days once they shipped it back. So roughtly a week with the timing of it all.

rlivingood
07-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks everyone. This is about what I found on other online sites. OJs is probably where I'll send it.

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 12:10 PM
In our experience, when we got it back, it ran better than new, no exageration.

rlivingood
08-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Just got it back from OJ. Bought the prop box and tools while I was at it. Sure does look pretty. Cost $76 for the repair and $13 shipping. Going to slap it on for next weekend.

BTW, my spare is a 13.5x13 and this one is a 12x12.5. The differnece I noticed is as follows (I would really like to get a prop to prop change comparision because what I experienced doesn't make any sense)

With the 13.5x13 out of the hole and abilty to keep pretty good minor speed changes, but top speed was less and the RPMs where much higher at the same speed (top speed about 40 at almost 4800 rpm)

With the 12x12.5 slower out of the hole, but at 3000 rpm 30 mph approx and top rpm about 4200. Also, harder to maintain constant slow speed (like with a kid or surf board)

This is opposite what I was expecting. I thought a larger prop would cause the boat to not be able to achieve higher RPM, but the smaller prop only gets 4200 rpm and the larger gets almost 5000.