CO poisoning or toxicity is a life-threatening emergency that requires immediate action. The following is a list of things that should be done if CO poisoning is suspected. Proceed with caution. The victim may be in an area of CO concentration, which means you or others could be in danger from exposure to CO:
- Evaluate the situation and ventilate the area if possible.
- Evacuate the area and move the affected person(s) to a fresh air environment.
- Observe the victim(s).
- Administer oxygen, if available.
- Contact medical help.If the victim is not breathing, perform rescue breathing or approved cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) as appropriate until medical help arrives. Prompt action can mean the difference between life and death.
- Shut off potential sources of CO, if possible. Correct ventilation problems and/or repair exhaust problems as appropriate. Investigate the source of CO and take corrective action, such as evacuating and ventilating the area or shutting o the source of the CO, while at the same time evacuating and ventilating the area.