A Modest Beginning
MasterCraft was founded in 1968 when it built its first ski boat in a two-stall horse barn on a farm in Maryville, Tennessee. Dissatisfied with the large wakes and pull of other ski boats, MasterCraft builders designed a hull that had the smallest wake in the industry; smooth and low at slalom and jump speeds; well defined at trick speeds.
In its first year of operation, MasterCraft only built 12 boats. But the boat design was so revolutionary that the company began getting order after order for its boats and MasterCraft soon became recognized as a major force in the tournament ski boat market. Fast forward forty-five years later, MasterCraft is producing thousands of tournament ski, wakeboarding, luxury and performance boats annually to keep up with consumer demand.
MasterCraft has a single manufacturing facility located in Vonore, Tennessee, where it employs over 400 people. These "MasterCraftsmen" descend on Lake Tellico every morning dedicated to hand-building the world's best boats. MasterCraft engineers listen to the consumer's wants and needs, develop new ideas, and mix humanity with technology in order to produce the next generation of MasterCraft boats. This constant evaluation and focus on the customer has made the soul of the company more attuned to rider and skier needs with each passing year.
MasterCraft is by far the largest producer of inboard ski, wakeboard and luxury performance powerboats in the world. It sells boats in over 30 different countries and has over 130 domestic and international dealers. Every MasterCraft comes from Vonore and hundreds of owners, skiers and boarders visit the company's headquarters every year to see the birthplace of their most prized possession.
Why are MasterCraft enthusiast's so fanatical about the product? Because MasterCraft is and always has been, the industry leader in new product innovation, styling, comfort, performance and quality for well over four decades.
- The first MasterCraft is built.
- First hand-laid fiberglass ski boat for better strength and consistency.
- First hinged engine box for easier access.
- MasterCraft pulls its first National Championship.
- Larger fuel inlet for easier fueling.
- First marine-grade carpeting for longer wear.
- MasterCraft pulls Kris LaPoint to its first slalom world record.
- MasterCraft pulls new World Records in men's slalom and tricks.
- MasterCraft pioneers the swim platform to make getting in and out of the boat easier and more comfortable.
- First mufflers on a ski boat for a quiet ride.
- MasterCraft pulls its first World Championship.
- First triple fins for better tracking and control.
- First fiberglass seats for better durability.
- First molded instrument panel for better looks and greater durability.
- MasterCraft pulls a new men's slalom record.
- The PowerStar™ provides more out-of-the-hole power and a stronger, steadier pull.
- MasterCraft pioneers the PowerSlot transmission.
- The PowerSlot receives a US patent.
- MasterCraft pulls World Records in women's slalom, men's slalom and tricks.
- MasterCraft is chosen the official towboat of Cypress Gardens and Marine World.
- First fiberglass stringers and all fiberglass structural construction for greater durability.
- MasterCraft founds the Pro Tour.
- MasterCraft pulls new World Records in women's tricks, men's slalom and men's freestyle.
- MasterCraft pulls Mike Hazelwood to a 203' World Record in men's jump.
- MasterCraft pulls World Record runs in women's slalom, women's tricks, men's jump and three in women's jump.
- MasterCraft introduces the MariStar, first in a line of large, luxury ski boats.
- MasterCraft's patented Wear-Guard™ pylon reduces rope wear and makes slalom runs smoother by eliminating ratcheting.
- MasterCraft pulls Sammy Duvall to a 220' men's jump World Record.
- LT-1 Corvette EFI engine introduced.
- 25,000 MasterCraft produced.
- MasterCraft's new ProStar 205 brings World Record performance capability to an open bow.
- First adjustable driver's seat for better comfort.
- MasterCraft perfects the V-drive ski boat, for true inboard ski-ability and performance with a roomy, wide-open interior.
- The new ProStar 190 reduces spray and wake dramatically for better slalom runs.
- MasterCraft's new XStar is the first true high-performance wakeboard boat.
- MasterCraft XStar is chosen as the official tow boat of the X-Games – a title it still retains presently.
- New Monocoque™ fitted composite stringer system brings aerospace technology to ski boats. New ProStar 190 hull dramatically lowers spray improves wakes in all events, eliminates rooster-tail.
- New PowerStar, the first true all-event outboard ski boats.
- MasterCraft Oscillation Dampering System (M.O.D.S.™) uses aerospace materials and a unique structural configuration to dramatically reduce vibration and noise.
- New torsion axle trailer suspension for the smoothest ride and best durability.
- A new high-pressure fuel pump delivers fuel more consistently for more power, better combustion and lower emissions.
- Advanced fuel delivery system—industry's only tapered bottom fuel cell with an in-tank pump for improved performance and increase in usable fuel.
- Venturi Air Induction System draws air forward through mounted vents and channels it under the windshield to prevent fogging, as well as to the bilge for improved ventilation.
- Two-part motor box constructed of lightweight composite materials. Routine maintenance checks can be performed by lifting the top only—or the entire box can be lifted for additional engine access.
- MasterCraft Training Systems (MTS), which is a ballast tank under the observer's seat in the storage area and holds up to 185 pounds, simulates the weight balance of tournament conditions. Convenient dash controls and a gauge control the weight.
- Keel line Gravity Ballast (KGB) system creates a low center of gravity for better handling and maneuverability than side tanks systems. It adds 400 pounds of wake-enhancing weight.
- Teak swim-platform transom protector to protect boat from accidental scratches by skis and wakeboards.
- X-Series is born with the X5.
- MasterCraft introduces a re-designed ProStar 190 EVO® hull, which lowers and softens the slalom wake dramatically.
- ProStar 209 wins Powerboat's “Towboat of the Year” award.
- The Triple KGB System utilized two rear automatic fill tanks located on either side of the engine and a Fat Sac in the ski locker that team up to provide a total of 800 lbs. of ballast.
- The Backstop Rope Deflection System offers a new way of preventing ski rope repercussions.
- Binding Blaster is a tank that connects with a hose and pump gun to spray liquid soap into bindings, allowing a smooth, easy entry.
- MasterCraft introduces the ProStar 197/X7 and wins Powerboat's “Outstanding Towboat Performance Award.”
- MasterCraft introduces the MasterCraft exclusive Cadillac LQ9 (HO 6000).
- The ProStar 190 EVO and ProStar 197 become the first boats in history to be AWSA certified in all 5 competitive water ski events with the LQ9.
- MasterCraft introduces the Tournament Team.
- Barefooter Keith St. Onge breaks the world trick record behind a ProStar 197.
- Inaugural MasterCraft Water Ski Championships produces 3 new Pro Tour records.
- MasterCraft introduces the first inboard concept boat, the X-Trek.
- MasterCraft introduces the new MCX 350hp engine.
- MasterCraft introduces the AP-1 hull (on the XStar).
- MasterCraft introduces a revolutionary new the XStar.
- MasterCraft introduces the 28ft. MariStar 280 VLD.
- MasterCraft athletes claim six of eight #1 world rankings.
- The New XStar is voted WakeWord.com's Rider's Choice Wakeboard Boat of The Year
- MasterCraft tows world record trifecta in men's slalom, jump and tricks with the ProStar 190/197.
- The MasterCraft MariStar 280 VLD wins Boating magazine's Boat of The Year award. MasterCraft introduces the X-80.
- MasterCraft introduces the first twin-engine boat in the water sports market – the MariStar 280 STS and the X-80 STS.
- MasterCraft introduces MasterCraft By Design after-market parts.
- XStar is voted WakeWord.com's Rider's Choice Wakeboard Boat of The Year for the second consecutive year.
- MasterCraft introduces the MariStar 245 VRS and the X45, the inboard industry's first 24 footer
- MasterCraft introduces the Saltwater Series line.
- The XStar is voted WakeWord.com's Rider's Choice Wakeboard Boat of The Year for the third consecutive year.
- MasterCraft introduces the new RTP-1 engine.
- MasterCraft introduces a new cruise control system called MasterCraft Cruise®.
- MasterCraft introduces digital throttle control (DTC).
- MasterCraft revolutionizes wakeboarding accessories with the invention of rotating board racks.
- MasterCraft XStar chosen as official boat of Amp'd Mobile SuperCross and The Dew Action Sports Tour.
- MasterCraft wins NMMA CSI Award for the inboard watersports boat category recognizing MasterCraft for its extraordinary customer service at the dealer level.
- MasterCraft introduces the newly redesigned MariStar 230 VRS and X30
- MasterCraft introduces the all new MariStar 200 VRS and new X2
- MasterCraft introduces the X1 (previously under the name XStar and X2)
- The XStar is voted WakeWorld.com's Rider's Choice Wakeboard Boat of The Year for the fourth consecutive year
- MasterCraft moves into second generation of digital throttle control and cruise control system called MasterCraft Cruise®
- MasterCraft introduces fresh and innovative graphics for all its X-Series boats, once again setting MasterCraft's style apart from the rest of the field
- World record in Slalom is set behind a MasterCraft ProStar 197
- MasterCraft wins NMMA CSI Award for the inboard watersports boat category for the second consecutive year recognizing MasterCraft for its extraordinary customer service at the dealer level
- MasterCraft wins a WSIA Leadership Award as Manufacturer of the Year
- MasterCraft introduces the new CSX 265 at the 2008 Miami International Boat Show
- The XStar is voted WakeWorld.com's Rider's Choice Wakeboard Boat of The Year for the sixth consecutive year
- MasterCraft wins NMMA CSI Award for the inboard watersports boat category for the fourth consecutive year recognizing MasterCraft for its extraordinary customer service at the dealer level
- MasterCraft introduces the all new MariStar 235 VRS and new X35
- MasterCraft introduces the all new ProStar 214V and X14v
- USA Waterski, the governing body of skiing, approved the ProStar 214v as a world record capable-three event-USA Waterski tournament towboat – the only V-Drive to currently hold this honor.
- MasterCraft co-wins J.D. Power and Associates Award for the Inboard Industry
- MasterCraft wins all-around best website from the NMMA
- MasterCraft unveils the MasterCraft 300 – the marine industry's first twin tip day yacht – at the Miami International Boat Show
- MasterCraft 300 earns a cover shot and world exclusive with Boating Magazine
- The XStar is voted WakeWorld.com's Rider's Choice Wakeboard Boat of The Year for the seventh consecutive year
- MasterCraft wins NMMA CSI Award for the inboard watersports boat category for the fifth consecutive year recognizing MasterCraft for its extraordinary customer service at the dealer level
- MasterCraft introduces the all new MariStar 255 VRS and new X55
- MasterCraft wins "Best Ad Campaign" at the 2009 Wake Awards
- MasterCraft leads it segment in market share
- MasterCraft introduces the all new 225V and new X25
- MasterCraft wins Trailer Boats “Readers Choice Award” as Favorite Wakeboard Boat Builder
- MasterCraft wins coveted NMMA Innovation Award for its pioneering technology found in the new MasterCraft X25. One of 10 companies to win this award, the X25 won because of Surf Tabs, it's innovative digitally adjustable wake system, tracking camera and variable seating configuration and was said to be a unique 22-foot platform.
- The MasterCraft XStar once again gains a podium spot in the WakeWorld.com's Rider's Choice Awards for the eighth consecutive year
- MasterCraft announces it is partnering exclusively with one of the world's best high performance engineering companies, Ilmor Marine engines, for its power train needs.
- MasterCraft again leads in innovation by unveiling all new ZFT 5p wake-sport tower. Electrically powered, it will raise and lower to 3 different positions with a simple flip of a switch, making it easy to store, tow or go under a low bridge.
- MasterCraft unveils Parks Bonifay Custom Edition XStar
- MasterCraft unveils the SureShade system in its 300 making it the first pleasure cruiser style boat offering a factory-installed automated sunshade system
- MasterCraft leads its segment in market share for the 2nd consecutive year
- MasterCraft introduces a newly refreshed 200V / X2
- MasterCraft wins coveted NMMA Innovation Award for its pioneering technology found in the ZFT 5p Tower. One of 13 companies to win this award, the ZFT 5p won because it's innovative tower raises and lowers with a simple flip of the switch
- MasterCraft unveils the ZFT 2 Tower, an user-friendly hydraulic assisted tower for easy lifting and lowering
- MasterCraft unveils its first touch-screen control center at the command center
- The MasterCraft XStar once again gains the top podium spot and is named the Boat of the Year in the WakeWorld.com's Rider's Choice Awards for the eighth year
- MasterCraft wins WSIA Manufacturer of the Year
- MasterCraft wins Marine Marketers Association Award for Best Dealer Collateral material
- MasterCraft unveils all-new, conceptual 2013 XStar
- MasterCraft and Ilmor Marine unveil all new Ilmor 7.4L engine, a normally aspirated engine that is more powerful, more efficient and more dependable than any other offering on the inboard market, including supercharged engines
- MasterCraft leads it segment in market share for the 3rd consecutive year
- MasterCraft launches all new 23-footer, the X30
- MasterCraft introduces all-new, production-ready 2013 XStar at the first stop of the MasterCraft Pro Wakeboard Tour
- MasterCraft launches all new 21-footer, the X10
- MasterCraft unveils the ZFT 4 Tower, a user-friendly hydraulic assisted tower for easy lifting and lowering
- MasterCraft unveils all-new 4.3” screen and 7” touch screen technology in partnership with award-winning Murphy gauges
- The MasterCraft XStar once again gains the top podium spot and is named the Boat of the Year in the WakeWorld.com's Rider's Choice Awards for the ninth year
- MasterCraft wins WSIA Advertising Campaign of the Year
- MasterCraft launches all new 24-footer, the X46
- MasterCraft unveils the industry's best, factory direct warranty, MasterCare – five years of aft to bow coverage. Five years. No fears. Factory Direct
- MasterCraft unveils its Surf Package, a complete system and solution to creating the best wakesurf wakes on several of its models
- MasterCraft unveils all-new audio system that allows for zone control giving separate audio controls for bow, cockpit and tower speakers
- MasterCraft introduces all-new trailer package with new graphics, new wheel options and new features
- MasterCraft launches an industry leading new website
- MasterCraft's world class employees accomplish 2 million hours without a loss time injury